  1) Re: [EV] Re: Article on local EV conversion
        by Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) EVLN(Can electric cars ever be sexy?, add Snoop Dogg riding shotgun)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) EVLN(The catch? EV packs are expensive & only have a 200mi range)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) EVLN(U.K.-based Electric Car Hire, electriccarhire.com)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) EVLN(Plug-in hybrids find road less bumpy in U.S.)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) EVLN(NY Solar Sailor hybrid ferry)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) EVLN(Tesla's $561K public commercial EV charging station)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) EVLN(CARB hands out $25m: PGE & Telsa public EV charging stations)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) New public EV charging equipment
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: EVLN(Zap-X SUV & Mitsubishi MIEV using wheel motors)
        by "David S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Updates and a couple new projects
        by "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) METRO on ebay----more work than I;d be able to do
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) Re: Updates and a couple new projects
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Car Trailer Rental
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 11:30:01AM -0600, Zeke Yewdall wrote:
> If you visit his website
> www.sparky-ev.com
> it has all the details.  Advanced DC 9", Curtiss 1231C, 120 volt
> system.  Looks like the standard electric pickup truck conversion.

and still uncommon enough that makes local news...

--
Eduardo K.            | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://www.carfun.cl  | Murphy, la oportunidad.
                      |         Yo.

EVLN(Can electric cars ever be sexy?, add Snoop Dogg riding
shotgun)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.theecologist.org/archive_detail.asp?content_id=927
It's electrifying...  17/05/2007  by Mark Anslow

Once you get over the fact that not even tinted windows, a
subwoofer, and Snoop Dogg riding shotgun would make the Maranello
IV electric car ‘cool’, you can forget all about the image
worries seeded in our imaginations by endless streams of glossy
car ads and begin to think about driving and car ownership in a
whole new way. Mark Anslow reports.

I settle into the driver’s seat and buckle up under the watchful
eye of James Tucker, director of fledging company Future
Vehicles, a man who started out in life by hiring super-powerful
sports cars to the not-so-rich-and-famous.

‘We were in demand,’ he reminisces. ‘Then one guy drove one off
the side of a mountain in the Alps.’

My eyes flick nervously to the dense Kensington traffic.

‘We decided we didn’t want to put people’s lives at risk any more,
and at the same time we wanted to see what we could bring of
value to personal transportation,’ he explains.

[
 http://www.theecologist.org/images/maranello1.jpg
]

So it is that I am sitting in one of Tucker’s electric vehicles,
staring slightly unfamiliarly at just two pedals, no gear-stick
and a battery indicator gauge tucked into the passenger’s
footwell. Turning the key in the ignition makes no noise, other
than a brief flutter in the instrument panel.

‘Is that it?’ I ask.

‘Yep,’ Tucker reassures me. He flicks up a small black switch in
the middle of the dash.

‘That’s forward…’ he flicks the switch down, ‘and that’s reverse.’

Simple enough.

‘Just press the accelerator and you’re off.’

Gingerly, expecting a lurch, a stall, or an altercation with the
owner of the porsche parked in front of me, I press down on the
pedal. Smoothly, without the slightest hesitation, the car whines
into motion. The steering is light, partly because even carrying
myself and Tucker, the whole thing weighs less than 800 kilos.
The brakes, which are not hydraulically assisted and so feel a
bit like stamping on a brick, take getting used to.

‘I give myself plenty of time to accelerate and plenty of time to
brake,’ Tucker chimes in from the passenger seat. ‘You have to
learn a new, smoother way of driving.’

As the car begins to pick up a little speed, I press Tucker with
more questions. How long does it take to charge one of these up?
Overnight, he says, although his shortly to arrive ‘Elettrica’
model can reach 80 per cent charge in just three hours. What’s
the top speed? 30 mph for this one, 40 mph for the Elettrica.
What’s the range? This one does about 40 miles on a charge. The
Elettrica will do close to 70. How much do they cost to run?
About 1.5 pence per mile, as opposed to 10 pence per mile for an
efficient petrol car.

At the Kings Road traffic lights we stop. The motor cuts out.
Silence.

‘I love sitting in traffic in an electric car looking around at
all the other cars belching out fumes and knowing that I’m using
no energy at all,’ Tucker confides. ‘No-one’s moving. You’ve got
a lot of noise, and an awful lot of fumes, all sorts of nasty
emissions. If they were all electric cars, there’d be no noise
and no pollution. As simple as that.’

But electric cars cannot be the answer to world’s problems, I
suggest. They still use power, they still use raw materials, they
still cause congestion and will continue to persuade our town
planners that we want to live in an out-of-town, multi-lane,
asphalt-covered world. Does Tucker see them as a silver bullet?

‘No, I don’t,’ he is quick to admit. ‘In an ideal world, everyone
would ride a bicycle, walk, or take clean public transport.
Realistically, that’s not going to happen. People’s habits aren’t
going to change overnight, so in the meantime we need to think
how we can minimise the damage we are doing to the environment.
Practical, realistic approaches to that are what we’re all about.
We want to find the cleanest alternatives to what people are
using at the moment.’

Passing a traffic island, a couple of pedestrians stare at us as
we trundle past in our odd, boxy, red car at a stately 20 mph.

‘Can electric cars ever be sexy?’ I ask Tucker.

‘Well, mass produced electric cars…no, not really, they’re not
cool,’ he admits. ‘But cast your mind back to when the Smart car
first appeared. I remember people saying how stupid they looked,
but now they’ve got a certain coolness about them – they’re
distinctive vehicles of choice for lots of people and companies.
I think electric cars will go the same way.’

[
 http://www.theecologist.org/images/maranello2.jpg
]

An HGV politely waits for us to trundle up to a narrow junction,
before ploughing on down the street in a cloud of diesel fumes.
For the first time, I realise that we are separated from the
outside world by only a thin sheet of metal, in a vehicle which
in many respects resembles a child’s toy. Should owners of
electric cars feel unsafe?

‘Granted the cars don’t have a huge roll cage, airbags, or many of
the other safety features of a modern petrol car,’ Tucker
concedes. ‘But remember that you’re only going to be doing a
maximum of 30 or 40 mph, and in London probably much less than
that. It’s not as safe as a petrol car, but it’s much safer than
a moped, or a bike. I’ve never heard of anyone being involved in
a serious accident in an electric car.’

Parking up near Battersea Park is a doddle. The smallest of
spaces will do, and flicking the switch between forward and
reverse becomes substantial easier than crunching gears. Best of
all, there is no parking fee for electric vehicles in central
London, and no congestion charge.

Tucker admits that he owes most of his business to Ken
Livingstone. Avoiding a daily congestion charge of £8 and parking
fees in excess of that can mean making back the premium on an
electric car within a year. Outside of London, things can be more
difficult.

‘I had a couple of inquiries from outside London which came to
nothing,’ he says. ‘London is a place uniquely suited to electric
cars at the moment. Most journeys are only a couple of miles, the
average speed of any vehicle is about 11 mph, and the financial
concessions mean that costs can be offset.’

Tucker hopes this will change as the price of the vehicles comes
down and the technology improves, but he is the first to admit
that an electric car is not for everyone:

‘If you own an electric car, you need off-street parking so that
you can charge it. Living in a flat makes this very difficult.
You need to get into a routine of charging it, as well, because
if you run out of charge, you can’t walk to the nearest petrol
station with a can. The limited speed can be a problem if you
regularly drive on fast roads. And driving the car too close to
its maximum range can mean that you won’t make it back home
during the winter, when battery performance suffers because of
the cold. You need to know that buying an electric car is right
for you before you fork out £10,000.’

[
 http://www.theecologist.org/images/maranello3.jpg
]

Batteries can be a problem. The heavy, lead-gel variants which
are common in today’s electric cars can only be expected to last
about two years. Once they reach the end of their life, there is
no way they can be easily recycled. Their components must be
carefully handled to make sure they do not leak into the
environment. The newer lithium batteries however, do offer a much
longer life and minimal environmental impact upon disposal,
raising hopes for improvements in what has always been the
dirtiest side of so-called green vehicles.

Walking away from the Maranello, I begin to realise that an
electric car is more than the sum of its parts. Owning one, and
coming to terms with its limitations, foibles and differences,
teaches you to re-assess the fossil fuel mobility which we have
too easily come to take for granted. Driving electric leads you
to develop a new appreciation of fuel costs and emissions. You
accelerate slowly and brake gently to eek power out of the
battery. You travel more slowly, more safely, and more
efficiently. You re-evaluate your journey lengths, which in turn
makes you question whether the journey is even necessary. You
search out local services, within easy reach and away from
out-of-town dual carriage-ways. Driving electric is more than
owning a new car – it should become a commitment to a less
intensive form of motoring.

To try out an electric car, visit
http://www.futurevehicles.co.uk/
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

EVLN(The catch? EV packs are expensive & only have a 200mi range)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://usaweekend.com/07_issues/070520/070520alternative_fuels.html
Issue Date: May 20, 2007
The Basics
Alternative fuels
5 things you need to know

1. [...]

4. Electricity. The pluses are zero tailpipe emissions, low cost
   per mile and public charging outlets. The catch? Battery packs
   used to power electric vehicles are expensive, and electric
   cars have a range of up to 200 miles before they need to be
   recharged.

5. [...]
-- Laura Daily

Copyright 2007 USA WEEKEND. All rights reserved.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

EVLN(U.K.-based Electric Car Hire, electriccarhire.com)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.miamiherald.com/382/story/112543.html
GREEN TRAVEL RESOURCES   Sun, May. 20, 2007
[...]
Electric Car Hire (www.electriccarhire.com): U.K.-based car hire
operator with electric vehicle fleet.
[...]
-- JOHN LEE
Copyright 2007 Miami Herald Media Co.  All Rights Reserved.

===

http://www.electriccarhire.com/Charging%20and%20Parking.aspx
Electric Vehicles can be charged from a standard mains power
supply at home or at work.  More and more public charging points
will become available across London throughout 2007.

In December 2006, the first two free charging points provided by
Westminster council were installed in Southampton St and
Wellington St, in Covent Garden, WC2.   Electric cars can be
charged at these points for up to three hours.  Keys to activate
the stations can be obtained from Westminster Council.

There are also free charging points in the Westminster Masterpark
car parks and the free City car parks (see below.)

If you want to have a charging point installed at your home or
office and are prepared to make it available to third parties,
you can apply for a grant from the Energy Savings Trust to help
you do this.  Charging points can be provided and installed by a
variety of suppliers, including Park & Power.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

EVLN(Plug-in hybrids find road less bumpy in U.S.)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070528.GRIDLOCK28/TPStory/National
Plug-in hybrids find road less bumpy in U.S.      May 28, 2007
by JEFF GRAY [EMAIL PROTECTED]  DR. GRIDLOCK appears Mondays

Take a gas-electric hybrid car, stick a bulky extra battery in
the trunk and the result is the plug-in hybrid, a cutting-edge
piece of technology that proponents say triples the already
impressive fuel economy of a hybrid car. Provided, of course, you
remember to plug it into a conventional wall socket and recharge
its batteries overnight.

For the first 50 kilometres driven, a plug-in hybrid can burn no
gas at all, those hawking the technology say, meaning that for
many urban drivers it would essentially become an all-electric
vehicle. If the province gets around to weaning itself off
coal-fired electricity plants, the car's carbon emissions are
purportedly set to sink to 85 per cent below those of the current
average Canadian car.

Mayor David Miller trumpeted the emerging technology - developed
by a Toronto-area firm called Hymotion - at city hall last week,
announcing the city's participation, along with the province and
others, in a pilot project to test 10 hybrid cars, modified with
plug-in technology, to see how they perform in Toronto's
climate.

Along with the green boosterism came a dig at the federal
government, which the mayor and Hymotion's president, Ricardo
Bazzarella, criticized for failing to support the Canadian
start-up.

"The best thing about cities is that we can lead where national
governments fail to go," Mr. Miller said, calling Hymotion a
world leader. "Plug-in hybrid technology is simply not on the
radar screens of senior orders of government."

Mr. Bazzarella, a University of Waterloo engineering graduate,
said he had twice applied for federal green technology funding,
but had been turned down. Instead, he said, his company - now
owned by Massachusetts-based battery-cell maker A123Systems -
looked to Washington, where he said they were asked by the U.S.
Department of Energy to speak to 100 industry leaders and
officials.

"I couldn't even get a grant [in Canada]," Mr. Bazzarella said.
"... This is like, two guys who started in a garage, and [U.S.
officials] are asking us for our opinion."

A representative of Sustainable Development Technology Canada, an
arm's-length federal grant agency, wouldn't discuss in detail why
Hymotion's grant application this year was turned down.

However, Rick Whittaker, the SDTC's vice-president of investment,
listed some of the criteria his agency uses to evaluate projects
that might have applied in Hymotion's case, including whether the
applicant's idea was simply "too good" and likely to get funding
elsewhere.

Mr. Bazzarella said the United States is far ahead of Canada on
plug-ins, with a proposal in the works to offer drivers rebates
for plug-in conversions. U.S. President George W. Bush has even
mentioned the concept in his speeches and has met with the
president of Hymotion's American parent.

But it is still early days. Batteries, as Canadian drivers know,
do not like winter. And while the job to convert a car amazingly
takes just two hours, Hymotion charges $12,500 a vehicle, over
and above the premium paid for the hybrid in the first place. Oh,
and your warranty is immediately voided.

Mr. Bazzarella, who plans to offer consumers conversion kits as
early as next year, said he hopes to get the cost down to at
least half the current price tag. Even factoring in some future
government rebates, gas would likely have to clear at least $5
(U.S.) a gallon south of the border - $1.42 (Canadian) a litre
here - for those who do convert to have any chance of recouping
their costs in fuel savings over the life of the car, he
acknowledged.

As well, the car companies, after looking down their noses at the
idea, now have plans to produce their own plug-ins by 2010, using
the same technology.

Still, in the meantime, thousands of conventional hybrids will be
out on the roads, waiting to be converted into super-hybrids,
Hymotion hopes.

© Copyright 2007 CTVglobemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

EVLN(NY Solar Sailor hybrid ferry)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk1JmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3MTQyODI0JnlyaXJ5N2Y3MTdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5Mg==
Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island may get solar-powered ferry
Monday, May 28, 2007  ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- Add another attraction to the Statue of Liberty and
Ellis Island: A futuristic-looking, solar-fueled ferry to take
visitors to those attractions.

Ferry operator Circle Line is floating a plan to put an
environmentally friendly hybrid vessel -- combining solar, wind
and diesel power -- on its Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
route, the New York Post reported Sunday. The proposal is part of
the company's bid to renew the ferry concession, according to the
newspaper.

Circle Line President J. B. Meyer said work on a roughly 115-foot
trimaran hybrid ferry could start at once if the National Park
Service approves the company's proposal. A park service spokesman
did not immediately return a cellphone message early Sunday.

The $8 million vessel would be built by Sydney, Australia-based
Solar Sailor, which created a similar ferry for Sydney's harbor,
the Post reported. The design features a sail-like,
solar-panel-covered wing that can be moved into optimal positions
for catching the sun and wind, said co-founder Robert Dane.

The 600-passenger ferry can travel at up to 6 knots on solar,
wind and battery power alone, and up to 14 knots when its diesel
engines are also running, according to Solar Sailor's Web site.

With the engines, its speed would be similar to that of
conventional ferries.

The vessel would cost about $2 million more than traditional
ferries but would use one-third less fuel, saving hundreds of
thousands of dollars a year, Meyer said. It would emit only about
half the amount of greenhouse gases as conventional ferries.

The Circle Line runs ferry service to the Statue of Liberty and
Ellis Island from Battery Park in lower Manhattan and from
Liberty State Park in Jersey City.

Copyright © 2007 North Jersey Media Group Inc.

===

http://www.auburnpub.com/articles/2007/05/29/news/state/state03.txt

http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/79659
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the
Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

EVLN(Tesla's $561K public commercial EV charging station)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C12758/
Tesla Gets Cash for Charging Station
By: Dave White on Tue. May. 29th, 2007, 9:18AM PDT

It's one thing to have a hydrogen charger at the corner gas
station. It's quite another to have a charger for electric
vehicles. Yet that is apparently what Tesla is looking to create
with its recently approved development fund.

The California Air Resources Board recently awarded Tesla Motors
US$561,000 for a public commercial charging station. Now, Tesla
makes cars that are electric, so it doesn't take too much
imaging to figure out that that charging station will be a
prototype and that, if successful, then the prototype will
become a series of realities that enable the makers of electric
vehicles to eliminate the "limited range" from their products'
descriptions. If nothing else, the charging station is an
alternative to plugging in to a garage wall outlet overnight.

© Copyright 2000-2007, Pilato Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

Get your own web address.

EVLN(CARB hands out $25m: PGE & Telsa public EV charging stations)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://blogs.business2.com/greenwombat/2007/05/pimp_my_plugin_.html
Pimp My Plug-In Hybrid  May 29, 2007

[photo: kennedye

http://blogs.business2.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/28/ford_edge_phev.jpg
]

The California Air Resources Board last week handed out $25
million to promote alternative fuels and cars such as plug-in
hybrid electric vehicles, or PHEVs.  Among the recipients was ZEV
Research, which scored $150,000 to develop a pilot episode for a
television series about teams that convert fossil-fueled luxury
and sports cars (along with more mundane transportation) to run
on electricity. We can see it now: Pimp My PHEV! California
allocated $5 million for PHEV programs, including:

$561,000 to Tesla Motors to develop a commercial battery-charging
station to be installed at hotel chains across the state. Tesla's
electric sports car, the Roadster, is expected to hit the streets
in October. The Silicon Valley car company's proposal for a
$961,000 grant to test advanced battery technology for electric
cars was a runner-up. (PG&E (PCG), meanwhile gets $175,000 to
update an electric charging station at the utility's Davis
facility.)

$1.1 million to the University of California, Berkeley and UC
Irvine to conduct a market analysis of  PHEVs and other electric
vehicles.

$344,000 to the Electric Power Research Institute and UC Davis to
evaluate the performance of various battery technologies.

$1.5 million for an adopt-a-PHEV program that will place 10
plug-ins hybrid cars with up to 100 households and businesses for
a few weeks at a time. UC Davis's Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle
Center will collect data on how the cars perform and evaluate
consumer acceptance and use of plug-in hybrids.

CARB is one of the most powerful environmental agencies in the
United States - famous (or infamous) for mandating that 10
percent of cars sold in California be zero emission by 2003 and
then subsequently backpedaling under pressure from the auto
industry.  What's striking is how CARB now -  through such
funding, modest that it is - apparently aims to build a market
and infrastructure for electric vehicles first.

The agency last week also dispensed cash for a number of biofuel
initiatives, including the construction of biodiesel refineries,
cow power projects and the installation of ethanol pumps at gas
stations. The complete list is here
[

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/altfuels/incentives/052407altfuel_sr.pdf
[...]
A-4 Retail and Fleet Electric Vehicle Recharging Stalls $175,000
[...]
A-4 Retail and Fleet Electric Vehicle  Pacific Gas & Electric
Recharging Stalls
AMOUNT REQUESTED  AMOUNT RECOMMENDED  MATCH FUNDING OFFERED
$466,000 $175,000 $1,133,000
PROJECT DESCRIPTION
PG&E requests funding to construct and/or refurbish six electric
vehicle charging stations (various charging capabilities
including Levels I, II, II+, and III) at existing PG&E facilities
in San Francisco, Davis, Fresno, Vallejo, San Carlos, and
Vacaville.  Staff recommends awarding partial funding for this
project.  The Davis station was selected since it was the only
site that allocated funds for all three Levels of charging: I,
II, and III.  PG&E had requested 60% funding for each facility
and thus staff recommends a comparable funding percentage for the
Davis site, or $175,200.
[...]
C-2 charging station
AMOUNT REQUESTED  AMOUNT RECOMMENDED   MATCH FUNDING OFFERED
$561,000 $561,000 $584,000
PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Objective is to develop a UL compliant, weatherproof medium power
(16 kilowatt), level 2+ commercial electric vehicle charging
station that is equipped with Tesla’s ACE connector.  Objective
is to work with SAE to make this new system J-1772 compliant.
Project funds will be applied to development, beta testing,
purchase of production tooling, and UL certification efforts.
Subsequent initial deployment of these charging stations will be
at hotel chains throughout California.  This project revitalizes
attention to ZEV electric charging infrastructure issues, and in
particular, refocuses attention on SAE standards for charging.
[...]
].
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html

IMHO:
In my last post  PGE & Tesla public EV charging stations
the newswire had a pdf link I included in the post that
has a lot of CARB funding for non-EV list items
(please do not post non-EV List topics, take them offline).

I pulled out and included in the post the EV parts I found:
PGE and Tesla to use CARB funding to make public EV charging.
We will have to wait to see how this develops, but it raises
in my mind questions of:

-How the EV charging will be implemented?

-Where will new public EV charging stations be located?

-What equipment will be used at the stations?

-What new EV charging equipment will we EV drivers need to
 buy/build to use the new EV charging standards?

This might sound like I am crying the 'Sky Is Falling' but
the old timers on the EV List will remember when at EVS12
(in the 90's) the simple public EV charging station (ics-100)
using a regular 14-50 outlet was being poo-poo'd by the
automakers (who really did not want to make EVs and we scared
to death of being sued).

The automakers choose two different standards: GM's
proprietary inductive
http://www-personal.engin.umd.umich.edu/~ece274nn/ece546/win1999/bstop096/magnechargers.jpg
(at a star-trek cost but GM gave them away for
installations), and the conductive AVCON (a less costly
method but the evii ics-200
http://www.ci.pasadena.ca.us/WATERANDPOWER/images_general/photo_ev_conductivecharger_evi2.jpg
has a circuit board to block low-power-factor-corrected EV
chargers from obtaining power: blocking conversion EVs from
charging).

A decade+ later, we have 'off the shelf' high power factor
corrected chargers for EV drivers to buy, and an AVCON adapter
box that allows access to a public AVCON charging head. There
are AVCON charging heads that do not have the low-PFC charger
blocking circuit board, but those have not been used for public
EV charging stations.

A concern of mine is that we EV drivers do not get fooled again:
that we do not have people who do not drive electric or do not
want EVs to be sold, dictate EV charging standards and EV
charging laws.

For those that do not know, Level I, II, III EV charging
(previously known as Level A, B, C) mentioned in the post's
pdf can be found with a web search but most of the
information is over 5 years old
http://www.pge.com/docs/pdfs/about_us/environment/electric_vehicles/ev4pt2.pdf

But generally -
the Level I charging is typically 1kW power: 110VAC 20 amp
5-20 outlet. EV conversions and nEVs use Level I.

Level II is typically what an inductive TAL or conductive AVCON
will provide ~6kW usually from a 208 to 240VAC 40amp source.
90's vintage production EVs (that weren't crushed by the
automakers) use Level II but likely can not use Level I. Today
EV conversions can use Level II with the correct equipment.

Level III inductive charger was displayed at EVS12 having
nine 6kW inductive power units in one Level III charging
head (that would 9*6kW or ~54kW) charging an EV1.

That Level III charger's power cable to the older large
paddle (LPI) was water cooled (more power Scotty!). GM
never planned to use Level III charging, as the internal
EV1 cable from the inductive port was only designed for
6kW power (more GM smoke-n-mirrors).

Level III as defined (above) has not been truly followed.
Today a web search will find Level III charging for nEVs
(since nEVs are all Cities can buy, and they want rapid
charging). It will be interesting to see what PGE
implements for recharging EVs at Level III.

As I have posted in the past, new EVs with a 200 mile
range are going to need more than 6kW (Level II) charging.
So, what PGE and Tesla develop will be useful for future
longer range li-ion pack production EVs.

I seriously doubt Level III charging would be used for
today's phevs. With a 30 mile range pack, a the driver
would have to pull the charging handle out as soon as they
had plugged it in to reach the short-range pack's 60%
SOC.

I pray that PGE and Tesla do not follow Air Resources Board
(ARB) hickle pickle method of putting public EV charging
stations in locations that are not planned for EV use (many
too close together, and large gaps between charge points).

I hope new EV charging locations are located in a planned
method that aids the EV driver in using the public EV
charging infrastructure.

Perhaps in the beginning production EV distances (~90 miles),
but eventually EV charging in between for shorter range EVs
to use (~45 miles).

Example: if a RAV4 EV wanted to drive from Silicon Valley
to Sacramento ~150mi trip, charging should be at about the
80 mile range point. The location should have something for
the EV driver to do (shopping, movies, Internet Cafe', etc.),
and be available 24 hours by 7 days a week (a safe location
for charging in the middle of the night).

Later when funding allows, public EV charging should be
located every 40 miles so that most 45 mile conversions
could use Level II charging.

I have done this myself, having driven six different times
the 300+ mile round trip from Silicon Valley to Sacramento
and back. Some of the public EV charging locations were too
close together, and some were very close to my maximum
pack range.

Too close, time is wasted between plugging in and then
unplugging, just to stop and plug in again. Too far, and
the very slow complete charge cycle is needed to make it to
the next charging location (I usually unplug at the 80% charge
point to charge at the fastest charging pace).

I suppose we will all have to wait-n-see what PGE & Tesla puts
in before companies like manzanitamicro.com make an off-the
shelf EV charger to use the new Level III public EV charging
heads.

Or will a Level III EV charger have to be made at all?
Perhaps only the adapter equipment needed to make an EV
conversion Level III charging ready will be needed.

I believe AC Propulsion at one time was trying out using an
AVCON handle that had been modified to have two large metal
tabs. The handle would charge at Level II, but if the correct
signals were present, the large metal tabs would be engaged.

Those large metal tabs would be directly connected to the EV's
pack. It was mentioned that depending on the implementation,
the pack could rapidly obtain a 60 to 80% charge. Then the
slower Level II charging would be used to finish the charging
if the EV was still plugged in.

Thinking about this, one EV charging location could have one
Level III charger for a rapid charge, and several Level II
chargers for finishing the charge if the driver wants to
wait around. For a fast charge just use the Level III. For a
full charge, first use the Level III, then move over to a
Level II to free up the Level III and spend the hour(s) at
Level to fully charge your pack.

All of this is a lot to think about, but I am quite happy
that 'something' is being done. It truly looks like the
consumer may have the chance to buy a production EV in the
near future. That new EV market won't just be nEVs (Yay!).

What do you think?
(Please post corrections/opinions/ideas you have).

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/

Cant wait to find either one of these wrecked at the local junker.