  1) Re: Why is there a delay of 1 hour on my messages??
        by Tom Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Careful!! Re: Prius project
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) AC vs DC performance (was: 95 BMW 525i conversion)
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - now grid stabilization
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Careful!! Re: Prius project
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Car Trailer Rental
        by "David S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: 95 BMW 525i conversion
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Power of DC - Sunday's Pool Party (the drag race)
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) National Clean Vehicle Conference
        by "Peri Hartman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) TdS Report #2: Nancy Hazard speaks: Tour de Sol Highlights -- and Where Do
We Go from Here?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Re: 95 BMW 525i conversion
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) New England EAA Chapter Meeting
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) June 12th Seattle EV Meeting - Dont miss IT.
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Careful!! Re: Prius project
        by "chad plantenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: 95 BMW 525i conversion
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: New England EAA Chapter Meeting THIS SAT!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Careful!! Re: Prius project
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: 95 BMW 525i conversion
        by "Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Power of DC - Sunday's Pool Party (the drag race)
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 23:28 -0400, David Roden (Akron OH USA) wrote:
> I suspect that this is part of an antispam strategy, and that certain
> mysterious keywords or phrases in either an address or a message body
> raise Listproc's suspicion.  Every now and then it seems to hold a message
> for a while, perhaps (guessing here) waiting to see if you send anything else
> that looks like spam; if you don't, it sends the message on through.  Again
> this is pure conjecture on my part, so don't take it too seriously.

You are absolutely correct here. It's called "greylisting".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting

Basically the mailserver looks at your message and if it decides that it
might be spam, it says "come back later", some time later your mail
server tries again. Nearly all spammers don't bother to try again.

The server is clever enough to authorise your address after the first
greylisting, so if a message takes a couple of hours to get through, and
you post a message saying "what gives?" the mailserver has already
decided you are not spam and lets you straight through. The
authorisation doesn't last forever, so even if you post regularly, you
will get greylisted occasionally.

A few months ago I investigated the server and have confirmed that the
server is greylisting. Unfortunatly it bounces my mail immediately
saying I'm a spammer, but doesn't tell me why it thinks that. (I resend
my mail via another server.)

I didn't catch where he is, but in California it usually means the
vehicle was "totaled" by the insurance company. My 95 grand am was
totaled by the insurance company, they gave me the check and then I
bought it back for $161.00, The salvage value. The title goes to the
insurance company then back to me as salvage without leaving my front
yard. They like to do this, repair costs are comically inflated here.
(dent to left front fender where off duty cop ran into it while it was
parked. 3 estimates from "approved" body shops were within 10$ of each
other at $3900 )

I mention this because someone's EV may end up in a similar situation
since most of us convert/recycle older vehicles.
The first time I went through this I didn't know that I could buy it
back for salvage value and lost a really good car, I wanted it fixed but
the insurance company insisted on totaling.(water damage to motor) I
later found that the shop it got towed to bought it back for salvage
value, fixed it, and resold it.

I've been reading with interest this discussion on the merits of DC vs
AC drive systems, as I went through alot of wrestling with which to do
for my conversion too.  The benefit of torque can't be discounted --
my diesel rabbit seems quite powerful (except on long hills where the
lack of horsepower shows), because it has good low end torque, even
though peak horsepower is probably about 35 - 40HP (9,000 feet
elevation and it was only rated at 52 at sea level).

My question is about the DC systems.  I assume that all of these
discussions have been referring to series DC motors.  What type of
characteristics can I expect from a separately excited DC motor?  I've
got one of the 13" GE separately excited motors (21HP rated at 96
volts), with a base rpm of 1,000 at 96 volts.  Planning on running it
at 144 or 120 volts I think.  It's rated for a maximum of 144 volts I
believe.

I sort of assumed that the torque of the series motor was better for
DC applications -- otherwise why would everyone use them instead of
the shunt motors.  However, I did price out a new version of my motor
and found that they are now about $6,000 from GE.  So maybe it's just
the price?  It must be a pretty tough design if people can get away
with (for a while at least) using aircraft generators for drive
motors, and drastically overvoltaging them, which to me seems sort of
like putting a 6" ADC in a car and jacking the voltage up to 180 volts
to overcome the fact that it really needs an 8" or 9"

FYI, the reason I went through the trouble to find a used shunt motor
was that I need regenerative brakes.  Not necessarily for energy
recovery, but just to keep from burning out the mechanical brakes.
Old ICE cars with automatic trannies always smell bad by the time they
get to the bottom of the hill (the first 2 miles from my house drops
1300 feet).  Which is interesting with regards to charging -- if I
completely charge, I can't use the regen.  Might want a dynamic
braking resistor on there...  Coming back up that hill, the torque's
going to be important.  I'll probably be crawling up in 1st gear, I
imagine (my ICE truck is often only in 2nd gear doing 25 if I've got
it loaded).

Comments?

Zeke

On 6/4/07, Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
John Wayland wrote:

> So the answer is 'yes', the 300V AC system at an estimated
> 165 ft. lbs. of torque will not match the DC system at
> 300 ft. lbs. of torque, where both motors make about the same hp.

What John is conveniently overlooking here is that it is the torque at
the wheels that is of interest, not at the 'crank'.  The AC motor has a
redline about 2x that of the 9" ADC, so it can be geared for 2x the
torque multiplication and still deliver the same top speed.  2x the
torque multiplication means that either system will accelerate the car
similarly since the torque at the wheel will be the same.

Can't argue about the cost differential, but as Victor would observe,
you do get what you pay for (in this case regen, liquid-cooled brushless
motor, and more configurable controller parameters than you can shake a
stick at ;^).  The same dollars spend on DC would undoubtedly yield
greater HP with fewer frills.

There's also a company in MA (I think) that is doing flow batteries
for large stationery energy storage for load leveling.  10MWH and up
sizes I think.   I'll try to find out their name.

Zeke

On 6/5/07, Kaido Kert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/5/07, john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thats an interesting idea. Batteries look expensive until you price a gas
turbine.
> Another market might be co-generation-stabilization and emergency power.
Permitting diesel gensets is getting harder
> with the air pollution agencies, and they are notoriously unreliable due
mostly to improper maintenance and testing.
> Is anyone working on this Jukka?
>
> JF
They are doing this with flywheels, which is a much better stationary
storage unit than batteries ( almost no maintenance, no cycle life
issues, good energy & power density )
See http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/09/california_ener.html for example

similar units ( 25kwh ) can be used as fast charge stations for EVs

-kert

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Yeah, I've got one car that's been totalled twice (a deer hit once, front end sheet metal once), I repaired it both times, and still got years more use out of it. It doesn't take much for the insurance company to call something totalled, and I bought it back cheap both times. What a body shop bills an insurance company to repair a crunched car is a heck of a lot higher than what it costs me to pick up used parts and do it myself. Often the insurance company will be very cooperative if what they are looking for out of the deal is a signature on a release form releasing them from future medical bills blamed on the crash. Their concern is more the liability of a trumped up injury case than the value of the junker.

When you hear that a friend totalled their car, ask questions quick! A friend let a nearly new Corvette go cheap once, I'm still kicking myself.

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Shanab" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[...]

Having towed my share of VW related products with a tow bar.

Going forward with these is just as easy if not easier than towing a trailer.
They seem to follow your line better with a tow bar than a trailer. You still
need to make your turns a little wider but not as wide as a trailer.

AS for backing up with one NO. Don’t do it unless you have to and then only for
very short distances. The wheels in the towed car will try to turn the wrong
way.

Just try to park where you don’t have to back up and avoid those dead end
streets.

On another note it is usually easy enough to unhook the towbar and push the
towee backwards by hand then hook up again.