  1) RE: 95 BMW 525i conversion
        by Tom Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Why is there a delay of 1 hour on my messages??
        by Tom Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: 95 BMW 525i conversion
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: 95 BMW 525i conversion
        by "Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Quickest ET ever on lead acid
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Energy loss in an EV and range now- rolling resistance
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Why is there a delay of 1 hour on my messages??
        by "R Patterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Energy loss in an EV and range
  9) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - now grid stabilization
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Energy loss in an EV and range
 11) Re: Power of DC - Intro
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Energy loss in an EV and range
 13) Re: 95 BMW 525i conversion
        by "Dmitri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: How increased mass affects performance (was: RE: Power of DC
 - Sunday's Pool Party (the drag race))
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Energy loss in an EV and range
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Anybody tried battery switching from parallel strings to series
strings?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Power of DC - Intro
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: Another BMW conversion (1994 318ti)
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Thundersky
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) EV Dakota and Chargers on eBay
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Thundersky
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: How increased mass affects performance (was: RE: Power of DC -
Sunday's Pool Party (the drag race))
        by "Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: 95 BMW 525i conversion
On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 14:21 -0600, Dale Ulan wrote:
> So are you saying that with a 300v AC system you still won't get the
> performance of a 144v DC system?

It depends on which 300v AC system and which 144v DC system. You need
twice the current at 144v to get the same power as at 300v. The
batteries will sag, so you actually need more than twice the current.

I find it much better to think of torque than power. It's torque that
presses you into your seat, it's torque that accelerates you onto the
motorway. Electric motors provide constant torque from 0 rpm through to
the point where the controller comes out of current limit. This point is
directly proportional the battery voltage.

See this excel spreadsheet (it didn't work in openoffice last time I
tried) http://www.metricmind.com/data/performance.zip and adjust the
battery voltage to see how the curves change. I'm unaware of a DC motor
calculator similar to the above spreadsheet.

I would strongly encourage anyone worried about the performance of a
conversion to work out the wheel torque curve of the electric motor and
compare this to the ICE version of the car. The torque depends on the
gearing, motor, controller, battery voltage and current limits. You have
to compare the wheel torque because your gearing will be different on
the electric (I will only ever use second gear in the electric version
of my car).

For example:

I have an ICE version of the car I intend to convert. It's been on a
dyno, so I know the torque at 1000 rpm intervals. I converted that to
wheel torque in each gear. Then I looked at the motors available and
their torque curves at various voltages.

The motor, a 240v battery pack and a fixed reduction gearbox of about
7:1 gives me constant torque from 0km/h to about 55km/h. The wheel
torque (also constant between those speeds) is the same as the ICE
version in second gear at about 4000 rpm. In my car that is enough to
spin the wheels in the wet and accellerate very quickly.

>From 55km/h to the top speed of 120km/h (only 1 gear and the motor is
limited to 10,000 rpm) the torque drops in a non-linear fashion to about
the same wheel torque as the ICE version in 4th gear. So I expect the
experiance between 55km/h and 120km/h would be similar to driving the
ICE version with a CVT (if it had a CVT).

I don't know what the peak power of the system will be, and I don't
care. I only care about what will make the car accellerate, the torque.

The above numbers are from memory and somewhat approximate. I did these
calculations a few months ago. Also, the electric version will be about
15% heavier, I haven't corrected for this.

> Wrightspeed X1, Tesla, and AC Propulsion's TZero are all AC and
> they perform pretty well. Expensive, but fast.

These are all very lightweight vehicles. Perhaps all under 1000kg.

> I recall seeing
> an impressive burnout with Victor's ACRX....

Not to put down the ACRX (I know nothing of it's configuration during this
demonstration), but a burnout can be done with very little power if you
have the right tyres and road surface.

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 09:02 -0700, GWMobile wrote:
> And this is why I hate auto spam filters. At some point they make lists
> serves useless. I find spam is one of the most over discussed over
> complained about things ever.
> It takes two seconds to skip to the next message.

I get about 200 spam messages a day if I turn off my spam filter. That's
not something you can just say "oh well" and delete one by one.

I think you either already have a good spam filter (at your isp) or you
don't get much spam sent to your address. Either way, be greatful.

> What is REALLY a problem is having to resned that takes a long time and
> really IS a pain.
> messages delayed or falsely screened as spam.

I'm not sure if a spam filter on the mailing list is actually necessary.
Non-members can't post. How many spammers sign up? I'm not a mailing
list spam expert, so maybe they do sign up?

Roger Stockton wrote:

I don't know that a 144V flooded pack is even an option anyway: can it
physically fit? Remember, floodies have to be installed vertically, and
must be accessible from above for watering and cleaning, etc.  Even
cramming the engine bay and trunk full may not be enough without tossing
the rear seat and stuffing more where it used to be.

18 8-volt US Battery floodeds will work for 144 volts. This is the setup I currently have in Wattson, my Ford Escort.

There are 4 above the motor. 3, side by side, in front of the motor where the radiator was and 11 in the back.

I have the HCs. I think they are 69 pounds each and 178 AHrs

Chip
Where is Cliff located?

From: Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Energy loss in an EV and range
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 07:50:28 +0200

this might have been covered many times before here but I was talking energy loss with my (filthy gas car owning :) friend the other day and we arrived at the conclusion that loss through rolling resistance (and thus car wieght) was insignificant at highway speeds compared to the wind resistance. as little as 1 percent.

Can you tell me what data (and/or calculations? led you to this value of 1 % ?

The US Department of Energy ( as quoted in Transportation Research Board Specail Report 286 : "Tires and Passenger Vehicle Economy" ) presents this data for "late model mid-sized passenger cars" :

The percentage of energy loss due to rolling resistance is 31 % for urban driving and 35% for highway driving. Quite a bit higher than 1%.

For a typical ev ( with higher weight than the typical ICE) the rolling resistance numbers would likely be a bit higher than this.

Phil Marino

Assuming this is not entirely wrong, wouldn't this mean that a very heavy yet small wind profile car could go just as long on a given battery amount. and that further this high weight could be used for many more batteries...

in other words that some elongated vehicle with a normal car windprofile could be loaded up with a lot of lead acid and thus achieve well past 100 mile range? not only that but benefit further from the lower internal loss of the battery because the discharge rate is less per battery

that perhaps some sleek estate car could be made to break the 200mile barrier on lead acid : )

volvo, bmw, audi might have some estates with a nice wind profile
or even just a regular long but narrow sedan since you probably wont need to stack them so high that you need the estate boot anyway.

it would have to be a 2 seater only then but wouldn't it be an interesting challenge? : ) it presumably wouldn't be a great dragster but we don't really need drag racing as much as range.

lead acids are so relatively cheap that it should be doable. and there are batteries outthere that claim over 50Wh/kg but don't really know if they are lying or not

Dan

Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01

This would be (mostly) true, if you alway ran at a constant speed on a
perfectly flat road.

However, in real life, you have hills (even small ones) and acceleration
to consider.  The energy needed to climb even a shallow grade (1%) makes
aerodynamic drag insignificant even in normal weight EVs.

Plus, making a car longer also increases it's drag, though not at the same
rate as making it wider.

> this might have been covered many times before here but I was talking
> energy loss with my (filthy gas car owning :) friend the other day and
> we arrived at the conclusion that loss through rolling resistance (and
> thus car wieght) was insignificant at highway speeds compared to the
> wind resistance. as little as 1 percent.
> Assuming this is not entirely wrong, wouldn't this mean that a very
> heavy yet small wind profile car could go just as long on a given
> battery amount. and that further this high weight could be used for many
> more batteries...
>
> in other words that some elongated vehicle with a normal car windprofile
> could be loaded up with a lot of lead acid and thus achieve well past
> 100 mile range?
> not only that but benefit further from the lower internal loss of the
> battery because the discharge rate is less per battery
>
> that perhaps some sleek estate car could be made to break the 200mile
> barrier on lead acid : )
>
> volvo, bmw, audi might have some estates with a nice wind profile
> or even just a regular long but narrow sedan since you probably wont
> need to stack them so high that you need the estate boot anyway.
>
> it would have to be a 2 seater only then but wouldn't it be an
> interesting challenge? : )
> it presumably wouldn't be a great dragster but we don't really need drag
> racing as much as range.
>
> lead acids are so relatively cheap that it should be doable. and there
> are batteries outthere that claim over 50Wh/kg but don't really know if
> they are lying or not
>
> Dan

--- Begin Message --- Usually the weight is not an issue. Flow batteries tend to weight and also flywheels.

Some of the stabilization units need to be portable, durable and noise free. Also instant operation is required.

Some MWh programs with Lithium are on the way. After they finish.. we know more. Calculations do look good.

-Jukka

Zeke Yewdall kirjoitti:
There's also a company in MA (I think) that is doing flow batteries
for large stationery energy storage for load leveling.  10MWH and up
sizes I think.   I'll try to find out their name.

Zeke

On 6/5/07, Kaido Kert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/5/07, john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thats an interesting idea. Batteries look expensive until you price a gas turbine. > Another market might be co-generation-stabilization and emergency power. Permitting diesel gensets is getting harder > with the air pollution agencies, and they are notoriously unreliable due mostly to improper maintenance and testing.
> Is anyone working on this Jukka?
>
> JF
They are doing this with flywheels, which is a much better stationary
storage unit than batteries ( almost no maintenance, no cycle life
issues, good energy & power density )
See http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/09/california_ener.html for example

similar units ( 25kwh ) can be used as fast charge stations for EVs

-kert

> give me a rough estimate of the percentage for a sedan at 65mph

Uve's online EV calculator indicates that for the typical conversion
moving at 60 mph, approx 25% of the energy is used to overcome rolling
resistance.
Note: this is on flat ground and assumes an average Cd.

With a more streamlined vehicle, carrying more mass (which would INCREASE
rolling resistance), this would probably increase to 50% or more.

Hey Jim!!

Jim Husted wrote:

Hey all

First off sorry to hear about the rain, kind of a
bummer.  At least it only affected those stupid
annoying 1/4 mile guys 8^o

Yea, the anti-EV Vortex has reared it's ugly ahead again. But fortunately the whole weekend wasn't a washout. The AutoCross and ScooterCross was fun. And Shawn is planning to run his stuff tonight in Ohio.

Joe Lado gave me a write.  Kinda cute asking if it'll
power some hummer sized project LMAO!  Being a
hi-Torque 6.7 doesn't make it a Warp 11 now, hehe.
Guess maybe he was thinking he'd just roar in, roll
over "your car" and there'd be no competition next
year hehehe.  Kind of a take that Mr. Chip 8^o

HeHe, Joe didn't mention he wanted 3 more of those motors? One for each wheel :-) But hey an Electric Monster Truck competition sounds fun. I think several people wanted my car squashed this past weekend.

Anyway it sounds a bit like the Joliet trip in that
you just got more time to play in the puddles like
when we were kids.  Although back then the security
guard would chase us off the premises not stop and
watch for the WZ vs Joule Injected run at the Wallmart
8^o

Maybe we should bag EVs with wheels and bring along electric powered jet skis.

EVen though it got rained out, I have such fond
memories of Joliet, I really do, Hopefully you all
went home with those same feelings.  It's got to be a
bummer to not have EVerything go as planned being you
worked so darn hard to plan it though huh?!

If only the rain could have held off for an hour then everyone would have been able to make a run or two.

It's actually Todd Dore's fault. I knew we were in trouble when he came down for the event. He must have brought the anti-EV vortex with him from Joliet. I think those Fox Valley shirts they wear must attract the rain gods :-)

But actually sloshing around in the rain in a tropical storm isn't that bad. The water is pretty warm. It's just all that high voltage wiring laying around the pits like giant electric eels that gets me a little nervous.

Yea, Joliet was a blast at the Pep Boys parking lot.

If nothing else you get a little rest now before you
have to start running around like a chicken on a
Rudman load bank again 8^o  Okay breaks over, you got
those Wayland invite shirts done yet 8^P

Shhh, don't mention the shirts yet :-)

Cya

Chip

> However, in real life, you have hills (even small ones) and acceleration
> to consider.  The energy needed to climb even a shallow grade (1%) makes
> aerodynamic drag insignificant even in normal weight EVs.

Correction, I shouldn't have said "insignificant, but the energy need for
drag is less than for the hill.

Miami. Look at his webpage www.proev.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Energy loss in an EV and range
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 07:12:19 -0700 (MST)

This would be (mostly) true, if you alway ran at a constant speed on a
perfectly flat road.

However, in real life, you have hills (even small ones) and acceleration
to consider.  The energy needed to climb even a shallow grade (1%) makes
aerodynamic drag insignificant even in normal weight EVs.

Peter

For my car at least, the aero drag at 60 MPH is about twice the "hill drag" for a 1% slope.

For an Echo ( at 2800 lbs ev weight) the air drag ( based on published Cd of 0.29) is 54 lbs. The slope drag is 1% of the weight, or, 28 lbs. So, the air drag is almost double the hill drag for this example.

For this car, the aero drag equals the 1% hill drag at about 43 MPH.

Phil Marino

Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thank you for the explanation Dale. What I'm wondering is if the controller is limiting peak current during on time to protect itself, resulting in a net loss of wattage delivered to the motor, before it limits RMS current to protect the motor? At anything less than 100% duty cycle, that peak current could get pretty high trying to provide the same power. If the controller limits based on peak current during the on time to protect itself, then lowering battery voltage may result in more watts delivered to the motor by keeping the peak current out of controller protection current limiting?

When you say the motor current limit is 1000 amps, is that 1000 amps RMS, to avoid toasting the motor with heat, or 1000 amps peak, to avoid killing the controller's switching devices? Let's say it's a Zilla 1K. Is the Zilla limited to 1K peak during the on time to the motor, or 1K RMS to the motor, or something greater than 1K peak? If there is a limit to the peak current during on time, then there might be an advantage to keeping the battery voltage down to avoid excessive peak currents. I'm thinking of my days in audio amp design, where there were two things to avoid, peak currents and heating effects in the output devices.

What I'm wondering is, if I'm drag racing, looking for maximum wattage delivered to the motor, would I be better off with lower battery volts until RPM comes up to avoid controller peak current limiting? I'm concerned that if battery voltage is too high, then the current draw during on time will be cut back by the controller, limiting wattage applied to the motor. Would I be better off with lower voltage and wider pulse width to avoid the controller limiting the on time current to protect itself? Or is a Zilla smart enough to increase frequency so that the current during on time is limited by motor inductance and never ramps up enough to toast the controller, in which case trying to match voltage applied to voltage required would be a grand waste of time?

Thanks,
Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>