        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Battery Venting
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Battery - Fuel Cell Hybrid Idea
        by Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Battery - Fuel Cell Hybrid Idea
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Battery - Fuel Cell Hybrid Idea
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Woohoo! just finished homemade capacitive discharge spot battery
 tab welder
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Series/parallel motor clarification
        by dale henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Battery - Fuel Cell Hybrid Idea
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: aluminum wire for EVs?
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hello Marty,

Both of my motors came with a bore hole for a brass pilot bushing.  The GE
which has a 1-3/8 in dia output shaft was bore for the standard transmission
output pilot shaft.  The Warps have a smaller hole, but a thinner brass
bushing works.

Find a early model crank shaft in a junk yard.  They will normally keep the
good ones lock up in the back room.  The early models such as the Chevy 256
or 283 for internal balance engines are forge steel.  I luck out and found a
Chevy 256 crank in perfect condition.

Do not use a later large crank flange where the flange is not completely
round, which are use for the external balance engines.

This is a large flange type, where you can have a taper bore put in to it
for a taper lock bushing and still maintain the raise ridge on the front of
the crank flange, so it will center it self into a flywheel, flex plate or a
pump shaft.

It is easy for a machinist to mill a taper in the flange.  He sets the lathe
to the specs of the taper which you can get out of a taper lock handbook.
After the taper is cut, the taper lock bushing show fit flush with the end
of the motor shaft, which will be recess some what into the face of the
crank flange.  This allows for clearance of a transmission shaft to insert
into it.

I found it was easily to order the taper lock bushings from a Dealer that
handle Dodge Power Transmissions equipment and supply both the crank flange
and taper lock to a machine shop.

To install the set screw holes. the machinist has to make a taper plug to
push into this taper hole in the flange.  He than can pilot drill and tapped
the holes for the taper lock set screws. He then removes the mock up plug
and installs the taper lock for a fit.

Normally the back diameter of this flange of about 2 inches in diameter is
ok. My overall length was set to 1.75 inches so the face of the crank flange
has the same references as it was if its in the engine.  I also had the
machinist mill a small rig that goes around the shaft at the rear of this
coupler, so it can butt up against the bearing race that also rotates.
This prevents any thrust on the motor shaft which may be cause by the
pressure on a flywheel.

Another way to calculate the thickness of a motor adapter that bolts onto a
transmission bell housing. Is have the taper lock coupler built, install it
on the motor with a transmission pilot bushing install in the motor shaft,
then dry fit the transmission without a bell housing so it goes into the
pilot bearing, but do nut bottom out.  Leave a little clearance.

Measure the distance from the face of the transmission to the face of the
motor and add your bell housing width and bell housing back up plate if you
use one.  The distance or gap that is left, is the thickness of the adapter
plate you want.