  1) Re: Motor Adapter plate
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: aluminum wire for EVs?
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Woohoo! just finished homemade capacitive discharge spot battery tab
welder
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
  7) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Otmar is getting rich?  (was Tesla roadster motor philsophy)
  9) An indesent proposition
        by Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
 11) Re: An indesent proposition
 12) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by Peter Eckhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Lawless Drag Race Update Weds Night
        by J Z <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Otmar is getting rich?  (was Tesla roadster motor philsophy)
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: An indesent proposition
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Otmar is getting rich?  (was Tesla roadster motor philsophy)
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Otmar is getting rich? (was Tesla roadster motor philsophy)
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) OJ dragster joins 125 club, gets closer to single digits
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
Marty.
    I am no longer in a position to make them, I used to work as a
moldmaker in a plastic shop and have switched to software engineering.
    I will dust off the old server today and put it on this slow
connection, it will be reminessant of dialup but I'll get it to ya.
    I am going to manufacture 3phase and rebuild an old bridgport and
slowly turn my garage into a shop when I get some $, I think a Haas VF2
will fit, but powering it may be an issue. When I had qty 10 quoted by a
local machine shop, the cost came out to within a few dollars of
e-machine shop, I think the local shop was using their software to quote!.

Using 4140
    Here are the steps I used. Designing around a standard taperlock
bushing may be a better long term soulution. I made it in < 2 hours.
       A piece of round stock kissed diameter as ref and faced off in
lathe and the hole for the motor shaft +.001 bored in it and put the
taper on it. (leave the lathe compound set at 7 degrees)
       Put this in a vee block on the mill by that ref diameter and put
in 6 1/4-20 holes
       Slice off useful part (bandsaw or part off in lathe)
       set face domn on grinder and clean up back(helps next step
       Use press to broach keyway slot
       put in vice on grinder and use cutoff wheel to make a slit
90degress or 180 degress from keyway.

       The crank adapter was made from an old motor shaft from a shop
that repairs big as electric motors.
          Trying to buy a small piece of 4140 for a reasonable price
proved impossible. I was lucky to get this doorstop for free.

       in lathe, bore back end, tapered hole .050 deeper than bushing.
       Flip it around and cut the chevy reproduction. Including the
place for the bushing. My design has that bell that pushes the motor
back from the adapter plate giving me the room for that bushing.
       Put in mill and put in the holes.

      I have about 8K miles on it and it was tested to over 8000rpm (see
Jim Husted's ouch gallery)

Ac in the armature? well kinda
    As the bar passes under a brush and the coil is shorted and goes to
completely zero the direction of current in the armature coil is reversed.
    This happens 4 times / rotation so at 6000rpm we are talking about
400hz. But this is equivilant to only 2 cycles so 200hz.

We need 100,000V or we need mhz freq to get worysome skin effects.

John Wayland wrote:
Hello to All,

Victor Tikhonov wrote:

John Wayland wrote:

David, there's a brand of DC controller that protects against the above. Every single Zilla controller cannot run without and is mated to, a Hairball interface that provides absolute protection against the full-on runaway you describe.

John, what David meant....

Victor, the point I was making wasn't about 'what David meant'...it was about 'what David omitted'...that being the fact that not all DC controllers can cause an EV to run-away. He completely over-looked the Zilla's built-in safety features that totally prevent this. You cannot hook up a Zilla without this feature enabled.

Contactors which you ONLY rely on, are not part of Zilla controller.
It's outside, additional hardware. Without it DC controller will fail full on. The safety you describe is overall vehicle safety with all this hardware in place, not inherent DC controller itself topology safety vs AC inverter's.

AC inverter does not have to have contactors or any extra devices
outside to assure no runaways. DC controller does, this is the only point.

Not to spoil it John, but as Roger usually puts it you "conveniently
forgetting" (tm) that, unlike Tesla, WZ has really two motors.

Surely it's a fair comparison to bring up an $8000 DC drive and talk about what it can do against, what, a $20,000 AC drive?

Here we go again. Are we discussing performance (1 Tesla motor vs. two WZ motors), or we discussing costs and performance per dollar?

Bottom line you're comparing their non - drag racing car with your drag racing one and saying yours is quicker. OF course, what do you expect?

A DC system based on Otmar's high performance controller & installed in the Tesla however, would turn it on its ear blowing away its current performance with way more power than it presently has.

John, this is useless discussion, as you seem to lock up only on
0-60 thing (per dollar) and nothing else matters. In this respect
cheaper solution is to short a motor to the battery on the drag
strip to have the same performance and avoid cost of the Zilla all
together. Knife disconnect for fool proof safety. Why don't we
discuss this if 0-60 only matters?

 Would DC be the
best choice to try to warranty to picky high dollar customers who will be out there pushing their Teslas to the top end speed limits?

What's the warranty on WZ?

With the
fireball monster always around the corner at extreme high voltage-high DC performance levels?

What fireball? I hear about fireballing commutators on this list very
often. Never heard of any fireballs with any AC systems. Any examples?
Single one.

Probably not. AC is great. we all know this. It's
also way more expensive than DC when acceleration per dollar is figured in. Some of us know this and openly talk about it, others act like it doesn't exist.

I talk about it. When we discuss technical advantages, that's
one thing. When we discuss if they worth for Joe, this is other.

A wise man once said:

 >if identical raw power DC and AC systems would
 >cost the same, everyone in their right mind would choose AC.

Yes, I remember who that was. There is big IF. So they don't cost
the same and AC cost more for the reasons not relevant for drag
racing applications, especially on budget ones. So if you apply
AC advantages to the wrong field, they will lose.

David often speaks glowingly about his AC powered Geo Metro. What he doesn't talk about too much, is that his car was a ridiculously priced converted econo-car that Solectria made for the bargain price of just $40,000!!! Who (to quote Victor) "in their right mind" pays $40,000 for a Geo Metro that's even slower than a stock wheezer Metro? Now, getting one used for 1/4 that price? Maybe :-)

I agree, very few. That's Solectria's pricing policy though, not
disadvantage of AC drive. If they chose to charge 80k instead of
40k, this does not make AC drive (or whole Metro for that matter)
worse - it just make their marketing department appear like
ignorant greedy idiots. Got nothing to do with AC vs DC discussion.

I do agree with Victor's statement. So Victor...where's that 350 kw AC system for $8000 that I can replace my DC system with?

It's at the factory waiting for orders to produce them with the same
quantities as DC motors and controllers are, not build by hand.

I don't get it. Why do you expect AC system which delivers 350kW
+ so much more to cost the same as DC system which delivers
NOTHING EXTRA other than 350 kW??

Again, that extra may not be relevant for 0-60 thing, but doesn't
mean you should have it for free, does it?

 You know, it's
the one installed in my steel bodied car that holds the world record for the quickest 1/4 mile ET for a street legal car that still has doors on it. This 2580 lb. DC car is more than a second quicker and nearly 17 mph faster through the 1/4 mile (12.1 @ 106.5 mph)

John, John, I hear you. You're talking about drag racing which is cool
thing, but not everyone is so obsessed with idea of keep snapping their necks on every intersection.

No one builds unsophisticated (cheap) AC inverters just to demonstrate
raw power - it's the same silicon switches inside after all. Controlling it requires more engineering costs. As Otmar demonstrated, silicon
responsible for power is small fraction of even DC controller cost.

... than the early version
highly touted $75,000 fiberglass kit car AC powered tZero with its 13.24 @ 90 mph ET when it had lead acid batteries and was 130 lbs. lighter than WZ at 2450 lbs. Even when fitted with 700 lbs. of exotic lithium batteries...vehicle now priced at over $100,000 and weighing just 1950 lbs. ... the tZero's beefed up 165 kw AC system still can't out-accelerate my 2580 lb. Datsun with its DC system powered by lead acid.

You said it well - exotic batteries are used, custom engineering was
involved and you expect it ti cost the same as components you can
find on junk yard.

When we try the A123 lithium pack a month from now, the sub-1900 lb. WZ's ET will probably dip deep into the 11s, and if it does we'll actually have NEDRA - NHRA certified time slips to back up our ET claims (unless we get thrown off the track for lacking a roll cage for sub 11.5 second runs)...no goofy flag waving rolling starts needed. Barring any electrical-mechanical problems, White Zombie should be able to eclipse all validated 1/4 mile ETs for street legal electric cars...even the 'skeleton' tube frame 'thing' that's being foisted as a real car to everyone, the Wrightspeed...all on caveman DC!

We probably have to split EVDL in two: drag racing heads and everyone else :-)

Would WZ be quicker and faster with a 250-300 kw AC power plant capable of spinning up to 12k rpm? Absolutely! Maybe, some day :-)

It can be today if you're willing to pay for it. But you don't, because
there is cheaper (because mass produced) alternative. Then you're right,
if you can improve your ET with less dollars, it makes sense today.

> Until then,
AC takes a back seat to DC at the track when used in a full bodied car.

Sure, key word being "at the track". What about everyone else?

They want to build very good performance car, but not the purposely
race car like yours. It's like comparing different classes.
So it's not quite apples to apples, you know.

I agree with you on this. I repeat...AC is cool, it's certainly the way to go for production vehicles. I have no complaints about the synchronous pm rotor AC motor in my Honda Insight, and I loved the EV1's AC squirrel cage induction motor system. I am not, have not, and never have been anti AC. As I've stated in a past email, I am covertly working on a few AC projects right now....shhhhh! In the forklift world, AC is pretty much taking over. The difference here though, is that it's priced right in there with the DC it's replacing and offers superior 'everything'. The newest products from Crown are the AC powered rider pallet jacks, and the brand new stand-up rider forklifts that replace the old DC powered RC3000 series, that have twin AC drive motors fed by a dual inverter/controller and an AC lift pump motor with its owner inverter..awesome machines!

So, why don't we return to this subject some years later when AC and DC
systems will be equal commodity? Until then, it will always be individual preference, application specific decision taking into account
cost difference.

Remember, your cost for the system is what manufacturer/seller choose
to charge you, not what it cost to produce the item.

AC system hardware is not much more expensive. Manufacturers just can't
amortize development cost over so few sold unless willing to operate
at loss, and justify to set up production to build 100-200 units per year. So they charge more that it should be worth for these reasons,
but situation will change in a few years, I can almost promise you.

See you at the track!

Victor

See Ya.....John Wayland

What kind of corrosion issues you have in mind?
OK, I agree that aluminum wire is hard to handle (bending etc.) but if you use
Al bars that are thick and don't bend I don't see problem.
Especially for Li-Ion cell which tabs are made of aluminum and nickel (or
nicker coated metal). It's smaller potential difference than between Ni or Al
and Cu.

Marcin

On Saturday 09 June 2007 16:43:47 joe wrote:
> The real problem with aluminum wire is the expansion factor, and the effect
> it has on connections, as well as the corrosion issue.
>
> Do not even consider using aluminum wire in an EV!!!!!!
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

What risks are there with damaging the 26650's? The current doesn't go through
the cell.

         - Tony