  1) AC/DC thing
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Otmar is getting rich?  (was Tesla roadster motor philsophy)
        by "Richard Rau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Ann Arbor, MI  Green Fair June 15
        by lyle sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) troll?  Re: Otmar is getting rich?  (was Tesla roadster motor philsophy)
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
  7) Re: Otmar is getting rich?  (was Tesla roadster motor philsophy)
  8) Re: Woohoo! just finished homemade capacitive discharge spot battery
 tab welder
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: An indesent proposition
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Twin Motors, forklifts and drive belts?
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Woohoo! just finished homemade capacitive discharge spot battery tab
welder
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Otmar is getting rich? (was Tesla roadster motor philsophy)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) GM 350 crankshaft pattern
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: An indesent proposition, Too.
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Battery Venting
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) AC Motors  WAS Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Chevy motor adapters
        by Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Zivan Reprogramming
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: An indesent proposition
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Chevy motor adapters
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: GM 350 crankshaft pattern
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: An indesent proposition
 24) EV count
        by "Jay Caplan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: An indesent proposition
 26) Re: Chevy motor adapters
As always, it starts and goes nowhere.

Before any meaningful discussion whether AC is better than
DC or not, "better" has to be defined better :-)

Secondly, better for what and for whom, else there is no
answer to that. It's no different than asking if
lithium is better than lead. Of course it is, but only
until YOU have to decide what to buy for YOUR money
for YOUR EV. Suddenly lead becomes better, else why everyone
still using it??

AC is better technically, everyone wants it.
But is it better for particular John Wayland to
buy it for his WZ to put on the track to improve
his 0-60 time? No. Suddenly better drive is no longer
better when decision attached to the purpose, to the
individual, and his wallet.

A 350 kW AC drive of course will become better for John
if he receives it as a gift or 100% sponsored...

Let's leave it at that and kill the thread shall we?
No one's take on the issue has changed I'm sure.

I'm sending this for Otmar, who is busy in his bat cave working on a green
box:

I'm getting rich?! Wonderful! That's great news, My A&P/AI will be happy.

I haven't seen the original post, but in a way I am feeling rich.
When I sold my house in Kalifornia I was able to buy an airplane, get a
pilots licence and support my philanthropic Zilla building for yet another
year. It certainly made me feel rich for a while and now I can buy
hamburgers for only $100. (airplane joke)  Eventually my plan is to build a
electric airplane.

So far this year Cafe has Electric had a large increase in Z2K orders. Z2Ks
have more profit built in than the Z1K models and because of that I'm able
to start a new employee to manage the business next week. (still no health
insurance for any of us, if you know of a affordable plan I'd love to hear
about it) Once again it will be a close call at the end of the year, but if
she can bring production volumes up (good chance of that since I'm spread
too thin these days) then we'll probably turn a profit this year for a
change and I'd be a much happier person. (back orders make me unhappy, since
my implicit promise is that I will supply you all with controllers) We
certainly have the backorders to pull off a profitable year and I suspect
our Z1K-LV volume would double (financially a bit of a curse
actually) of we had product in stock on the shelf.

If Dan was offering help to me (I missed that part), he fails to realize
that his offer of "help" would just mean much more work for me. People like
Lee H, Bob S, John W, Rick W, Dale G, Greg S, Arthur H, Pliskin and Putman,
My dad Hermann and many other smart and generous people that are slipping my
mind at the moment brought the Zilla to where it is now. I am very thankful
to them for their help.
Heck, back in 1991 when I started this I couldn't tell you which way current
flowed in a diode, dad helped with that! :)

But this Dan guy is a dim bulb, which wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't a
rude, immature troll. Trolls, by definition are a waste of time.

Now you all should remember the one golden rule about internet trolls. Don't
feed them, and they will go away. Whoops, I guess I've just fed him. Sorry
about that. Ignoring them is usually the best policy.

Have fun and remember what Dale always said:
My car would be zero emissions, if the tires would quit smoking!

-Otmar

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I beg to differ! First off skin effect has nothing to do with voltage. It has to do with changes in current. In a DC motor, even though the PWM changes the voltage rapidly, the motor's inductance keeps the current from changing a lot so skin effect is not very applicable.

Skin effect reduces the benefit of using thicker wire. Just where it becomes significant is a factor of freq and wire thickness. For thicker wire, skin effect is significant at lower freq. We are using freakish thick wire due to the current involved thus skin effect is significant at surprisingly low freq.

For example, at 25KHz skin depth is still 0.418mm, the max conductor size which won't see skin effect is 20 ga! That doesn't mean 16 ga "won't work" or won't work better than 20 ga, but the marginal gains of increasing wire thickness drop off make a single 2 ga conductor inadequate and trying to go to a single 0 ga or bigger is of almost no additional value to resolve the issue. Multiple conductors are necessary.

In fact, for 2ga, the highest freq before skin effect begins to apply is 490Hz! (not KHz).

The way to avoid skin effect is multiple conductors. I know this seems to be black magic that 10 strands would suddenly become far lower resistance if they're individually electrically insulated from each other in a bundle as opposed to a bundle where the strands are not insulated from each other. But that is essentially the situation. Don't burn me as a witch or anything.

Danny

Jeff Shanab wrote:

Ac in the armature? well kinda
   As the bar passes under a brush and the coil is shorted and goes to
completely zero the direction of current in the armature coil is reversed.
   This happens 4 times / rotation so at 6000rpm we are talking about
400hz. But this is equivilant to only 2 cycles so 200hz.

We need 100,000V or we need mhz freq to get worysome skin effects.

To any Mid-USA EV enthusiasts, Ann Arbor Michigan is
hosting their annual Green Fair on June 15 from 6-9pm
on Main Street.  This event will include some
ElectricMotorcycles.net members with the help of Terry
Richards who has volunteered to be the POC for us.
More info is at http://www.electricmotorcycles.net

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

           Hi All,
               Isn't it about time we stopped even reading
this guy's posts? It's obvious he is all hat and no cattle
to put it nicely.
                Dan, either back up your bull with your own
controller or shut up. Your ignorance about controller
design, business apparently from your posts is hugh.
                So how many controllers have you built Dan?
How many EV's have you built??  This is retrorical because
I'll notread anymore of your posts, threads and hopefully
everyone else here will.
                Doing an EV business isn't easy as the
volumes are low and have been forever. Otmar is doing a job
better than anyone. And his products are excellent though
way too costly, powerful for me, many want them because of
his excellent quality, reliability and no one else in the
world has built controllers bettwer than him or even come
close.  Ot is respected because of what he does, you are not
respected for what you do on this list.
                 It's time for you to apoligise to Ot and
the list for being such an A--. And you might want to see a
mental health person as you show signs. I'm I clear?

                                   Jerry Dycus

From: Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: June 9, 2007 9:26:17 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: An indesent proposition

With the expertise that is on this list would it be possible for us as a group to produce a vehicle that is similar in performance to the TESLA? That is performance and range?

A couple resources I have found:

From the horses mouth:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/performance_parts/store/catalog/Category.jhtmlCATID=913.html
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/performance_parts/store/catalog/Category.jhtmlCATID=883.html

and

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.html

To my knowledge, before 1986, the small block 400 was the only externally balanced small block, but I don't know about roundness of the crank end. I think the bolt pattern is the same anyway, so that should only be relevent if you are cutting up a crank to make an adapter. Then the big concern, I believe, is making sure you can find a forged crank and not a cast crank to start with. According to the third reference above, Roland is right, although forged passenger car cranks were fairly rare, forged truck cranks may be easier to find. Or maybe we can find a crank rebuilder that scraps some cranks that we could cut up? Forged Chevy small block cranks are probably the most trafficked crank in existance in the race world. There has to be a surplus of trashed ones someplace.

I'll have to go dig around in the garage this afternoon and look at cranks, I've got a few Chevy ones out there.

I'm in discussion with Electro Automotive. They may have the pattern already from a previous project, or maybe be willing to do it if enough of us express interest: http://www.electroauto.com/index.html

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Earlier Roland Wiench said:
Do not use a later large crank flange where the flange is not
completely round, which are use for the external balance engines.

It is my belief that the 'non-round' crank ends are used in the chevy
large-block line, ie. 396 ci. and up.  I've never seen a non-round crank
flange on a small-block, ie. 265/283/327/350/400.  Can anyone confirm
this one way or the other?

There are 'early' flanges, with a 3.5" bolt hole pattern, and 'late'
flanges with a 3" pattern.  I believe that the 3.5" corresponds to
the "1st generation", aka "split seal" model, while the 3" is
the "2nd generation", aka "one piece seal" model. Confirmation?

---
Steve

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Keep in mind there are a number of Chevy crank types. The one I'm standardizing on is the older V8 pattern, which is probably the most catered to pattern ever in the aftermarket. Once I've got that on the motor, I can bolt up a flywheel (stock, or off the shelf lightweight high RPM designs), an automatic trans flex plate, or couplers to direct drive manual transmissions or a few automatic transmissions with no clutch/converter. It's all off the shelf bolt in stuff for the older Chevy V8 pattern. With a Chevy motor plate and spacer, I'll be able to bolt in a huge variety of Chevy rear wheel drive transmissions. Many of them were a fixed length, so dirve shaft length wouldn't even need to change.

I'll let Jeff and others cover the part about furrin car adaption, he knows more than me about that.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much for a cheap adapter, nothing we're doing is mass production (I don't think). It's still machined one at a time. But at least we wouldn't have to ship crankshafts, flywheels and transmissions around and wait for custom designs to be machined. It would probably affect convenience and lead time (as well as saving money on flywheels) more than the price of the hub for now at least. And if you want to go clutchless manual or converterless auto, bolt in parts availability is nice.

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--
Christopher Robison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://ohmbre.org          <-- 1999 Isuzu Hombre + Z2K + Warp13!

LOL

Search the Archives for "Shep the charger" and the open source controller.

Those were earlier (failed) projects trying to decide on standard, open
source, products.  Nothing ever came out of them or the dozen or so other
"standards" folks have tried to establish on this list.

About the only "standard" that sort of stuck, was using 14-50 plugs and
outlets, and even that is only used by few folks (here in the USA), mostly
those that have other EVers around.

> I am forced to disagree here.
>     Through the development of standards and pooling of $ and
> information, I think we could.
>     I have already researched a lot of what is needed for the AC motor,
> the Reducetion gear, the chassis, BMS and battery assembly. The AC
> controller is my weakest area. But if for example, The list decided on
> some standardized interfaces, (protocol,electrical, and mechanical) we
> could break into smaller groups and work on our areas of expertize.
>     Obviously there can be no privatization if we do this.

Is there an estimate of how many EVs are in daily (or near daily) use in the
USA?
JLC

Oops, sorry.  I meant the EV-64 charger.  Shep the charger was an offshoot
of that.  Come to think of it, I think I was the one to coin that term.

> LOL
>
> Search the Archives for "Shep the charger" and the open source controller.
>
> Those were earlier (failed) projects trying to decide on standard, open
> source, products.  Nothing ever came out of them or the dozen or so other
> "standards" folks have tried to establish on this list.
>
> About the only "standard" that sort of stuck, was using 14-50 plugs and
> outlets, and even that is only used by few folks (here in the USA), mostly
> those that have other EVers around.
>
>> I am forced to disagree here.
>>     Through the development of standards and pooling of $ and
>> information, I think we could.
>>     I have already researched a lot of what is needed for the AC motor,
>> the Reducetion gear, the chassis, BMS and battery assembly. The AC
>> controller is my weakest area. But if for example, The list decided on
>> some standardized interfaces, (protocol,electrical, and mechanical) we
>> could break into smaller groups and work on our areas of expertize.
>>     Obviously there can be no privatization if we do this.
>>

> --
> If you send email to me, or the EVDL, that has > 4 lines of legalistic
> junk at the end; then you are specifically authorizing me to do whatever I
> wish with the message.  By posting the message you agree that your long
> legalistic signature is void.

In finding a steel forge crank with a round flange for a internal balance
engine, I went to my machinist that just does engine rebuilding which is
four blocks away, most of the cranks he had was for a external balance
engine.  These are cast iron and does not have a round crank flange.

some of these cranks were the 80's style 350 cu.in. engines

He had only one crank left in stock that was for a 56 Chevy V-8 that was
forge steel with a round flange.  He cried when I told him I going to cut
off the flange for a motor adapter.  These type of cranks are rare and fetch
a price more than a new crank.