  1) RE: Twin Motors, forklifts and drive belts?
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: full size truck conversion
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Two
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Non EV Rewind info
        by "Mark Fisher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: full size truck conversion
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Chevy motor adapters
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: AC/DC thing
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Dueling fillups
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) nEVs on streets: EVLN(Keller's are fixing up a C-Car
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: AC/DC thing
        by Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Safety of inverter/controller or whole system?
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Embarrassing Moments , Was:  EV's are less maintenance?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Non EV Rewind info
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Two
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Dueling fillups
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Two
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Paul,

A keyed shaft is likely the easiest to adapt to with off the shelf
parts.  However, see what the motor has and do some investigating to see
what you can come up with.  I ended up with a series wound motor for a
good price but is has a 13 spline SAE B shaft about 1 3/8 inches long.
I have a front 13 tooth 13 spline sprocket from a Kawasaki Z400 or
KFX400 that fits (just a tad loose) that could easily be used by cutting
in a relief for the retainer lock (but the shaft is likely not hard
enough to survive with such a thin mating surface to the hardened
sprocket).  I should mention that I am working on a motorcycle.  The
best connection would be purchasing a tapered bushing that is smaller
than the minimum size of the splined shaft and have a machine shop use a
broach to remove material so that the tapered hub matches the splined
shaft.  Then, when the appropriate sprocket or pulley is installed, the
new splined hub will pinch down on the splined shaft and create a good
connection that is very wide.

Possibly you could machine any spline teeth off the shaft, and then
machine in a new keyway, but you are losing strength here with a smaller
shaft size.  It is possible to press out some motor shafts, and then
press in a shaft that has the size and key you are looking for, but only
a motor shop should work at this as you can easily destroy your motor.

For your drive question, I have also thought that an independent rear
end would be a good setup for attaching one or more DC motors to.  The
differential is mounted stationary, and can be connected to with a drive
shaft.  But I have always thought that a short chain drive or even a
belt drive would give extra gear reduction and would work.  By mounting
two motors you may be able to offset any side pressure on the
differential input shaft that would cause wear.

Also, with two motors, you can run them in series for torque to get
moving, and then switch to parallel for speed. Look at
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/35 and see what John Wayland is doing
with a Datsun 1200.  The motor is essentially two series-wound DC motors
combined end to end.  The site gives a clue as to how the series
parallel change is made: "Three SW200 Albright contactors for
series/parallel motor section switching".

If you can find a lot of your parts for a low cost, then you may have
some headroom to purchase specific parts needed for your setup that are
not available elsewhere.  I am trying to learn this myself.  I can see
where having the correct parts at hand will make the EV EVen easier to
assemble, EVen safer, EVen more enjoyable.

I hope the motors turn out to be what you need.  Let us know what you
end up with.

Alan
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:25:10 -0400
From: "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7AC5E.3A58F327

Hey,=20
Being that I am inexperenced but maybe with enough knowledge to finally =
answer a question more on my level...=20
=20
You can use switches to switch in batteries. They are called contactors =
when used for such high amps. Similar to relays but heavier duty. You =
should arrange and wire the batteries in a series/ parallel arrangement =
so that theyare all discharging at 24, 48 and 96 volts, or whatever =
voltage you want. Older controllers were called contactor controllers. =
They mechanically switched voltages, I imaging kinda like shifting =
gears. There is information on the EVDL pertaining to their =
construction. I could send you past posts Ive saved. I plan to make a =
controller using a Parallax microcontroller. Programmed to energize =
different contactors remotely placed at the batterry pack depending on =
the position of my throttle potentiometer. (anyone with suggestions on =
this im open to suggestions).=20
=20
I think a cheap controller can be had from a junked golf cart? Some club =
cars have a pretty decent sized controller and maybe you can get it =
cheap. Otherwise I think you are gonna spend atleast 500 dollars.
=20
hope this helps.
paul=20

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:25:10 -0400