  1) Re: Corded mower
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: Safety of inverter/controller or whole system?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: EVLN(Keller's are fixing up a C-Car nicknamed Blue Cheese)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Battery Venting
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Two
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Two
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: full size truck conversion
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: EV count
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Two
        by "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Two
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Yahoo! Auto Response
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) Re: Two
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: EV Dakota and Chargers on eBay
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Two
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Two - now - AC and DC breakers
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Two
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) TdS Report #6: Results of the Competitions
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: Two
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Corded mower
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Safety of inverter/controller or whole system?
        by Thomas Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Chevy motor adapters
        by Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
        by Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: full size truck conversion
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Chevy motor adapter
        by Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Having used some of the push-type electrics, I'd assume you'd want to use
a large guage wire for a rider w/ a 200' distance. Maybe you could install
a couple more plugs around the yard?

> I have some ideas to deal with the cord. I was thinking about using one
> of those cord reel setups. We'll have to see how it holds up reeling under
>  load. Or maybe a coiled cord affair with a mast on the mower and
> elevated attach point on the house. The farthest point is around 200'+
> from the plug.
>
> I have almost an acre under grass and It will get kind of dicey out on
> the edge where about a 1/3 acre chunk has a dozen trees on it.
>
> The main question that I have is: The current ICE motor on it is a 19HP
> Briggs. What HP electric motor do I need to replace that?
>
> David

Dale Ulan wrote:
In most modern AC inverters there is no separate 'link voltage' like
there used to be in SCR inverters. The 6-pack IGBT arrangement takes
care of both commutation and voltage control.

Some do, some don't. Many AC drives have two stages; one to adjust the pack voltage (the "link voltage") and one to convert it from DC to AC. This approach costs more, but works better and allows a low-voltage pack to drive a high-voltage motor and inverter. The Toyota Prius uses this technique, for example.

Trying to short out the battery to pop a fuse does not usually work.
The bond wires in the IGBT or MOSFET package seem to blow before the
main pack fuse does.

Then the fuse or transistors are incorrectly sized. This technique is called a "crowbar" circuit, and it is a reliable way to convert an otherwise dangerous failure into a benign failure. But it depends on using a fuse with an I^2T rating lower than the transistor's I^2T rating.

Richard Acuti wrote:
Did I read/hear this article right??? Electric vehicles aren't allowed because they don't meet "state code"?

Is this a speed thing because NEV's are slow or does this really apply to conversions capable of highway speeds too?? Anyone here in PA to clarify this?

Many states have recently created a new vehicle category called NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle). The regulations vary between states, but basically limit them to a 25 mph top speed and restrict them to roads with a speed limit of 35 mph or less.

The ComutaCar was built in 1980, and titled as a normal car; so it can legally be driven anywhere any other car can be driven (any road, with any speed limits, etc.). However, they were built very much like today's NEVs -- their top speed is only about 40 mph, and the brakes, steering, and handling are definitely inadequate for higher speeds. The low top speed means they can't be driven on limited access highways with a posted minimum speed limit of 45 mph.

You could re-title a ComutaCar as an NEV, though I'm not sure why you would want to. Making it an NEV adds many restrictions, with no benefits that I know of. And, at least our state's NEV laws don't require you to re-title it, or any other electric car as an NEV.

Michaela Merz wrote:
Thanks for your input Lee. However, Miser caps (see at
http://store.solar-electric.com/batwatmiscap.html
are not catalytic. They have plastic pellets inside and when charging, the
plastic pellets capture up to 90% of the moisture and acid droplets. They
are just around 4-5 Bucks each.

In that case, I can't see how they would do anything significant. If a vent cap is working properly, no liquid comes out; only gas or extremely fine droplets (like fog). Your water loss comes from the water that has been electrolyzed into hydrogen and oxygen gas. Plastic pellets aren't going to do anything about that.

--------------Boundary-00=_VGLHQ7B2QL8000000000"
From: "Phelps--
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:49:37 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: Two

Have you thought about using 100 amp house circuit breakers?
In a electrical box
----------------------

Hey,
Being that I am inexperenced but maybe with enough knowledge to finally
answer a question more on my level...

You can use switches to switch in batteries. They are called contactors when
used for such high amps. Similar to relays but heavier duty. You should
arrange and wire the batteries in a series/ parallel arrangement so that
theyare all discharging at 24, 48 and 96 volts, or whatever voltage you want
 Older controllers were called contactor controllers. They mechanically
switched voltages, I imaging kinda like shifting gears. There is information
on the EVDL pertaining to their construction. I could send you past posts
Ive saved. I plan to make a controller using a Parallax microcontroller.
Programmed to energize different contactors remotely placed at the batterry
pack depending on the position of my throttle potentiometer. (anyone with
suggestions on this im open to suggestions).

I think a cheap controller can be had from a junked golf cart? Some club
cars have a pretty decent sized controller and maybe you can get it cheap.
Otherwise I think you are gonna spend atleast 500 dollars.

Hope this helps.
Paul

________________________________

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:51:19 -0600
From: Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

around 6000lbs. But yeah, it ain't light.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:55:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: EV count
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Ya,
you will never get anything but a guess. There are
lots more than you think. I have had 8 at one time
none of which ever made to the Austin site.  Just the
electric scooter and bicycle sector has 100's of
1000's most did not go 45 mph but I have had some that
did. just make your own and then there will be one
more...

www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:54:38 -0500
From: "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I thought AC and DC circuit breakers worked differently.  A 100amp
house circuit breaker may not work well in your EV.

Brandon Kruger
http://bmk789.dyndns.org/ev/
http://cafepress.com/altfuel

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:04:34 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

Well what I learned is school is that 1000 watts is a 1000 watts  AC or DC

Mitchell

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:22:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Yahoo! Auto Response
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I probably won't be able to check my emails until Thursday. Pls. phone 739 77
17, if you need an answer asap. Cheers!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:08:13 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

Or should I say volts or amps

Watts law  volts times amps  is watts

Mitchell

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:17:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EV Dakota and Chargers on eBay
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I can't believe it, but this truck went for $13,000.

Jeff

--- Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If anyone is interested, search electric vehicle on
> eBay.  Several big boy Enerpro chargers and Magne
> chargers.  Also this Dodge Dakota.  160124329720
>
> I rode in this truck back in '94 or '95.  Had a nice
> Prestolite 9" series wound traction motor (MNF type
> think).  At that time it was mounted under the hood
> coupled to a pulley/belt CVT, from a snowmobile, I
> think.  Well, the designers and converters did a
> really nice job of installation of the electric
> equipment, but neglected to comprehend how that CVT
> would interact with the series motor.  The result
> was
> a top speed of about 25 mph.
>
> The utility company drove it around a little and
> showed it off at company picnics, but never did much
> else.  Very few miles.  I have no idea what the
> range
> was.  You get too tired going at 25 to care.  Years
> later I talked with a couple a power plant mechanics
> who had the truck.  They threw out the snowmobile
> pulley crap and installed the motor near the rear
> axel
> with a fixed ratio gear box or belt or chain.  I
> never
> saw that up close or know any more about it.
>
> I think the seller on eBay tells the story as best
> he
> can.  There is a top speed of 90 mph and range of
> 80+
> listed.  I think this is totally a dream.  Maybe the
> original intent, but I suspect never realized.
>
> Having said all this, I live near this guy.  Well 50
> miles.  So if anyone is interested in bidding, I
> could
> assist to some degree.
>
> Later,
>
> Jeff

> Finding fabulous fares is fun.
> Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel
> sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
From: "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:21:04 -0700

A circuit breaker designed for AC may not handle a fault interrupt on DC.
Higher voltage DC breakers (>48v) also need a way to quench the arc.

You also should never use them as switches!

-Phil

From: "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Two - now - AC and DC breakers
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:23:34 -0400

>From: "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
>Subject: Re: Two
>Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:04:34 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
>
>Well what I learned is school is that 1000 watts is a 1000 watts  AC or DC
>
>Mitchell

That's true, Mitchell,

But, that doesn't mean you can safely use a house circuit breaker ( designed
to interrupt AC, not DC) in the battery loop of your EV.

AC switches and circuit breakers take advantage of the moments of zero
current as the AC current changes direction.  This allows these devices to
stop the current without excessive arcing.

With  DC current, there is no momentary zero current flow.  So, the arc can
continue until the contacts are far enough apart to extinguish the arc.
Some relays and contactors designed for DC use magnets to deflect the arc,
and make it's effective path longer.

An AC-designed relay, switch, or contactor, may not be able to extinguish
the arc.  It could continue until the device melts down - not a safe result.

Phil

Phil

Picture this – share your photos and you could win big!
http://www.GETREALPhotoContest.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us
From: "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:23:39 -0700

If you do this, then your batteries become unbalanced.  The first battery is
going to get worked much harder than the last.  You'd definitely have to
charge them separately, and then rotate them to insure one doesn't die
first.

You also lose the amperage by not using all batteries in parallel.   A
controller can use all batteries together equally, and when low speed but
high amperage is needed, all batteries help and you get less sag.  (and thus
battery damage)

-Phil
Date: 11 Jun 2007 20:27:31 -0000
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: EV@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: TdS Report #6: Results of the Competitions

TdS Report #6: Results of the Competitions

I know, I know.  It's kind of dumb to present the results before you know
anything about the entrants, but that's how it's going to be this year.  I'm up
to my eyebrows, so narrative structure be damned.

The results are presented in this HTML page:

http://www.autoauditorium.com/21CAC_Reports_2007/21CAC-2007-AltFuelScore-FINAL.html
and this PDF file:

http://www.autoauditorium.com/21CAC_Reports_2007/21CAC-2007-AltFuelScore-FINAL.pdf
or

Stay tuned for photos of and interviews with the teams.

 -      -       -       -
 The 2007 TdS Reports are actually about the "21st Century Automotive
 Challenge" hosted by the The Eastern Electric Vehicle Club (EEVC).
 The complete set of Tour de Sol Reports for 2007 can be found at:
             http://www.AutoAuditorium.com/TdS_Reports_2007
 The complete set of past Tour de Sol Reports can be found at:
             http://www.FovealSystems.com/Tour_de_Sol_Reports.html
 -      -       -       -
 The above is Copyright 2007 by Michael H. Bianchi.
 Permission to copy is granted provided the entire article is presented
 without modification and this notice remains attached.
 For other arrangements, contact me at  +1-973-822-2085 .
 -      -       -       -
 For more on the "21st Century Automotive Challenge", see the web page at
                        http://www.EEVC.info
From: "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:28:03 -0500

If you look at just about any switch, I believe they have two current
ratings on them, one for AC and one for DC.  I believe it's because it's
much harder to keep DC from arcing across the contacts as they open.  The
arc tends to extinguish when switching AC because the voltage across the
contacts passes through zero 120 times per second, at which time the arc
tends to extinguish.  That's why all these DC contactors are big, have big
gaps between the contacts, and cost so much.

Marty

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:48:03 -0500
From: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Corded mower

Hey don't knock the Robomower.  Small, 24v system, slow, but it's
automatic and mows all by itself.  Neat toy and one of the few tech toys
with real-world practical value.

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:40:12 +0100
From: Thomas Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Safety of inverter/controller or whole system?

could the power to the normally closed contactor also be delivered
through a fuse which shorts in the event of motor runaway or other such
fault?

Phil,

when you say cheap contactor do you mean ev200 cheap or potter and
brumfield 240V AC cheap or GE 48V contactor off ebay cheap ?

Subject: Re: Chevy motor adapters
From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:35:55 -0600

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 08:23 -0700, Electric Vehicle Discussion List
wrote:
>         Why would you want a racing flywheel?  Just get a stock
>         flywheel for a 1 piece rear main seal chevy.
Two reasons:

  to deal with the external/internal balance issue: there probably are
no stock, neutral balance/3" hub flywheels.  The research we have done
so far says no such combination came from the factory.  They are
available from the racing community because of the MANY engines that
are built up with parts from various sources.

  its aluminum, much lighter, hence more energy efficient.  One paper I
read on the subject claims an aluminum flywheel makes the car "look"
300+ lbs lighter.  rotational mass is much more costly than static
weight.

>          Those flywheels are guaranteed not to fly apart at 8,000 or
>         9,000 rpm.  For he RPM the electric motor is turning (5500 rpm
>         max) a stock flywheel is perfectly fine.

But the AC motor I will be using revs to 9000-10000 RPM.

>           You can shave off the ring gear to cut down on the weight if
>         you want.

Another benefit of the above flywheel, being aluminum, the ring gear is
steel, bolted (+ safety weld) on to the flywheel proper.  It is a
do-it-yourself operation to remove.  It will want dynamic balancing
after removal, but given the other custom parts used, dynamically
balancing the motor/hub/flywheel would be a good thing anyway.

---
Steve
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
From: Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:01:05 -0400

Just a quick comment:
Last I checked this is a capitalist system, Otmar can sell his
product for whatever he thinks it is worth and whatever we want to
pay. The marketplace is a wonderful filter.

I applaud your idea to make a better cheaper controller, so buy a
Zilla or a Curtis, open it up and copy what you like and make a
better one.

Once you do that, everyone will love you and you will be happy.

In the meantime, you need to realize that people need to feed their
families,  make a product that works, pay their employees, warranty
their product and pay rent and taxes AND Liability Insurance
([EMAIL PROTECTED],000A would scare any insurance man worth his salt!!).

  It is slightly different than a creative economy job like graphic
design. Perhaps before starting to produce this new thing, a few
business courses might be warranted.
From: "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:06:01 -0600

You should not have any problems running a 6000 lb vehicle if have the low
end gear ratios.  My vehicle at one time weigh 7850 lbs which included 3400
lbs of 300 AH cobalt 180 volt battery pack.

The overall gear ratio in 1st gear was 19.5:1 to keep the motor ampere below
200 amps and battery ampere at about 50 amps.

The final ratio which is the same as the axle ratio is a 5.57:1 which was
use only after 45 mph.

I have reduce the battery pack weight so the EV weighs about 6800 lbs.  I am
using a Warp 9 motor, while my GE 11 is in maintenance.  At any speed up to
50 mph, I can keep the motor ampere at or below 200 amps with the Warp 9.
The GE-11 can maintain a continuous motor ampere of 175 amps at 60 mph in
the 5.57:1 overall ratio.

As time go's on, battery weight will come down.  My next pack will drop me
another 1160 lbs to 5690 lbs which was about the original weight of the
vehicle.

Subject: Re: Chevy motor adapter
From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:06:42 -0600

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 09:53 -0700, Electric Vehicle Discussion List
wrote:
>         I can tell you for a fact that the new bolt pattern 1 piece
>         rear main
>         seal 350 flywheel IS neutral balanced.

Not according to General Motors:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/performance_parts/store/catalog/Category.jhtmlCATID=883.html

quote >

SEAL DEAL
Production small-block V8 and V6/90-degree Chevrolet crankshafts were
 redesigned in 1986 to use a leak-resistant one-piece rear seal. The
 diameter of the crankshaft flywheel flange was reduced to fit this new
 seal. The engine block, oil pan, pan gaskets, and flywheel were also
 redesigned to accommodate this one-piece seal.
Crankshafts designed for one-piece seals have a smaller flywheel bolt
 pattern than pre-1986 production cranks. All small-block and
V6/90-degree cranks which use a one-piece seal require a counterweighted
flywheel for proper engine balance.

< endquote

---
Steve