  3) Re: Two
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Two
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Chevy motor adapters
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Two
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Safety of inverter/controller or whole system?
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: EV count
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: New Zillch Controller
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EV count
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) Solectria S10 at Roanoke's Virginia Museum of Transportation
        by Robert MacDowell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Series/parallel motor clarification
        by dale henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Educating Dan.     Was:Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting
 rich?
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) series parallel batteries
        by dale henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
 17) Re: Corded mower
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EV Terminology
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: full size truck conversion
 20) Re: EV count CT heard From. WARNING, CT DMV is anti-EV!
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Tesla roadster motor philsophy AC vs. DC
--- Begin Message --- Somewhat off topic, but interesting... My uncle worked in power distribution, as in utility stuff. The switches and breakers they sold to open the big grid circuits had explosive charges in them. If you really needed to open the circuit, you blew the contacts open (which I think also blew out the arc). Then you dispatched a guy to replace the charges and the contacts at considerable expense. I guess the point is, things act differently and get expensive as power levels go up, especially in DC.

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Two
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:04:34 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Well what I learned is school is that 1000 watts is a 1000 watts  AC or DC

Mitchell

That's true, Mitchell,

But, that doesn't mean you can safely use a house circuit breaker ( designed to interrupt AC, not DC) in the battery loop of your EV.

AC switches and circuit breakers take advantage of the moments of zero current as the AC current changes direction. This allows these devices to stop the current without excessive arcing.

With DC current, there is no momentary zero current flow. So, the arc can continue until the contacts are far enough apart to extinguish the arc. Some relays and contactors designed for DC use magnets to deflect the arc, and make it's effective path longer.

An AC-designed relay, switch, or contactor, may not be able to extinguish the arc. It could continue until the device melts down - not a safe result.

Phil

Phil

From: Danny Miller
Date: 6/11/2007 5:35:40 PM
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Brandon Kruger wrote:

> I thought AC and DC circuit breakers worked differently. A 100amp
> house circuit breaker may not work well in your EV.
>

> Brandon Kruger
> http://bmk789.dyndns.org/ev/
> http://cafepress.com/altfuel
>
> On 6/11/07, Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Have you thought about using 100 amp house circuit breakers?
>> In a electrical box

>> ----------------------
>>

>> Hey,
>> Being that I am inexperenced but maybe with enough knowledge to finally
>> answer a question more on my level...
>>
>> You can use switches to switch in batteries. They are called
>> contactors when
>> used for such high amps. Similar to relays but heavier duty. You should
>> arrange and wire the batteries in a series/ parallel arrangement so that
>> theyare all discharging at 24, 48 and 96 volts, or whatever voltage
>> you want
>> Older controllers were called contactor controllers. They mechanically
>> switched voltages, I imaging kinda like shifting gears. There is
>> information
>> on the EVDL pertaining to their construction. I could send you past
>> posts
>> Ive saved. I plan to make a controller using a Parallax microcontroller.
>> Programmed to energize different contactors remotely placed at the
>> batterry
>> pack depending on the position of my throttle potentiometer. (anyone
>> with
>> suggestions on this im open to suggestions).
>>
>> I think a cheap controller can be had from a junked golf cart? Some club
>> cars have a pretty decent sized controller and maybe you can get it
>> cheap.
>> Otherwise I think you are gonna spend atleast 500 dollars.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>> Paul
>>
>> ________________________________

--- Begin Message --- The other point we ought to keep in mind, is just how fast could a DC motor spin, and what would go first.

Let's say you're on the highway, pedal to the floor, trying to merge or pass a truck. Your trans pops out of gear or something breaks in the drivetrain.

With an internal combustion engine, either the valves will float, or a rod will go, before the flywheel explodes. Assuming no RPM limiter on the electric motor, how high might the RPM go, and what fails first? If it's the flywheel, you're in trouble.

I also had the throttle stick wide open in my hot rod 68 camaro once. I was on my way to a 13.9 quarter mile with my foot off the pedal. To prevent rear ending the guy ahead of me, I instinctively hit the clutch. I was lucky, the throttle was stuck because the engine was torqued over in the mounts, which bound the linkage. When I hit the clutch, the engine dropped back and the throttle unstuck. Would I do the same if the controller shorted and dumped full battery current to the motor? Maybe. Panic is a funny thing :). I'd rather trash the motor than the flywheel. The system should be designed to fail safely.

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: June 11, 2007 1:01:00 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: EV count

Wait a minute... Why does my motorcycle not count. It's freeway capable and I have over 3000 electric miles on it.

damon

From: "Jay Caplan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Bob Bath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:41:48 -0500

Thanks, I was wondering about how many EVs (3 or 4 wheeled private licensed vehicles capable of 40 mph+) driven on a daily or near daily basis there are, not to include NEV, golf cart, LSEV, public trolleys, trains, buses

I only know of 2 in my area of 1MM+ population. So are there only 500 or so
in the US, by extension?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Kinda off topic Chip. But still freaking FUN ! Thanks. Now I can continue hacking from 1 am to at least 3 am. No energy drinks required...

-Jukka

Chip Gribben kirjoitti:
I'm new to EVs. My name is Dan Crankenstein.

EV controllers are too expensive. So I have a plan to make a new controller called the "Zillch". It's called the "Zillch" because it won't cost that much to make.

I can make them cheaper but I need your help. If you have a Zilla controller can you crack it open and take some pictures of it for me? I'm too cheap to buy one myself. On Otmar's blog he says he's paying $20,000 for transistors. Now hold on there, that's way too much. I can get a whole bunch of them for $20.00 at Radio Shack. I think I have enough Radio Shack points accumulated now for a $5.00 coupon this month.

My new "Zillch" controller won't have a "Hairball." First of all, it sounds like something the cat coughed up. And having a hairball is like having a transmission in an EV - you don't need one. So my controller won't have this "hairball" thing. That will make it cheaper. The Curtis controller didn't have a "Hairball". My nephew's Power Wheels doesn't have a hairball.

So that's the plan for the new "Zillch" controller.

Also, I left a message on Rich Rudman's voicemail and offered him my advice on chargers but he won't call back. So if anyone has a PFC charger I need you to open those up and take some pictures for me. PFC sounds "Pretty Fricken Complex" so I'm naming my charger "PFA" for "Pretty Fricken Affordable." And my charger will be smaller and will use smaller wiring to make it lighter.

Who's with me? Just send your photos to [EMAIL PROTECTED] We'll worry about the "Intellectual Property Rights" thing -whatever that means - later on. Right now the most intellectual thing to do is make cheap EV parts.

And with my new EV parts I'll throw in a free fire extinguisher. I bet Otmar and Rich won't offer those for free.

Thanks,

Dan

I visited the Virgina Museum of Transportation http://www.vmt.org/
and to my surprise, parked right outside as if to visit, is a Solectria S10/E10 pickup truck! The type with 2 motors near the rear bumper driven through a wrong-way rearend.

Alas, no, it wasn't a visitor, it was a display.

A STATIC display :(

Apparently it was donated to the museum after the previous owner discovered "issues" with getting it running.

And I thought to myself, that's not right. People shouldn't see EVs as non-functioning relics, they should see them as ready-to-drive.

So... does anybody know the history of this particular vehicle?

How about the Solectria rear-drive S10? What sort of issues tend to arise with it? What are the chances and costs of getting it running?

Thanks...

Robert

would the following setup be enough? or would i need
to get two reversing contractors?

series

  controller
    +    -
   /      \
  /        \
 /          \
/+  -....+  -\
motor1   motor2

parallel

  controller
    +    -
   / \  / \
  /   \/   \
 /    /\    \
/+  -/  \+  -\
motor1   motor2

contactor placement

  controller
    +    -
   / \  / \
  /   \/   \
 /    /C    \
/+  -R..\+  -\
motor1   motor2

R is the reversing and C is the regular contactor
C will turn the conection between controller positive
and motor2

positive on and off
R will switch between connecting motor1 neg and
controller neg or

betwen connecting motor1 neg and motor2 pos.

--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> dale henderson wrote:
> > I want to switch two motors between series and
> parallel and I’m
> > using contactors to accomplish this task.  Can I
> switch them all at
> > the same time or will I need to turn one set off
> before I can turn
> > the next one off?
>
> You *must* arrange things so the series and parallel
> contacts are not
> closed at the same time. This would create a dead
> short across the
> controller output!
>
> There are a number of ways to accomplish this. One
> way is to use a
> single reversing contactor; one coil that closes the
> series contact when
> off, and the parallel contacts when on. It can't
> physically be in two
> positions at once; this provides the interlock to
> prevent short circuits.
>
> Another way is to use separate normally-open
> contactors for series and
> parallel. In this case, you need a foolproof way to
> prevent them both
> from ever being on at the same time. One method is
> some kind of time
> delay (series on -- both off -- parallel on) but
> that is risky because
> the time delay can fail. Another method is to use
> contactors with
> auxiliary contacts. When one contactor is on, its
> auxiliary contacts cut
> power to the other contactors. The contactor must
> release, which
> activates the auxiliary switch, which enables the
> other contactors.
>
> Finally, you can use a big diode to replace the
> series contactor.
> Turning on the parallel contactors will reverse-bias
> the diode,
> automatically taking it out of series mode. You'll
> still want a fuse
> because diodes can fail shorted.
>
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Albuquerque, NM
http://geocities.com/hendersonmotorcycles/blog.html
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1000
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1179
http://geocities.com/solarcookingman

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

Hej på dej Dan

Why don't you see from alibaba.com a good DC-controller contact from China ? They sell them cheap and the quality is usually matched.

My opinion is that there is just no room for another Zilla. It's legend. It's high end. It SHOULD not be cheap since then everyone could affod it. And I as multple Zilla owner will not like that.

But realisticly. A good mass production design for all EVers ahould be AC. Permanent magnet perhaps. They are not that expencive. You can get 100 kw with less than 5000 USD. Motor and controller all together.

You can get the new Honda Civic for bargain w/o motors etc. And you can get the Lion packs quite soon from various vendors. Say 30 kWh and 400 lbs.

I think the world needs your "drive and energy" but you have directed the force to your own knee. Focus on the ACTUAL problem and spread the EV gospel all over you country. Be active EV person and do conversions to all your neigbours. And PLEASE if you have any questions do ask. I think we all can support you on that. Cracking Zilla will bang the wrong drum for your products.

-Jukka

Dan Frederiksen kirjoitti:
Dustin Stern wrote:
Too me, what you are suggesting we do is kind of like when Hitler suggested everyone but blue eyed blonde's should killed.
I want to make an open source controller design so we can get rid of the polution that kills the world and to that end I'm curious about how the zilla is built and that makes me hitler?
further, Otmar reversed engineered a curtis

i was wonder about folks experiences with
series/parallel battery setups?  i know many have
stated that 'buddy-pairs' work well [i.e. two
batteries in parallel then put into series], however
what about three or four batteries in parallel?

also could i use only one PowerCheqs per parallel
string regardless of the number of batteries in the
string?

for example could i use 12 12volt batteries in 4
parallel strings making a 48 volt system and only need
to use three powercheqs?

Albuquerque, NM
http://geocities.com/hendersonmotorcycles/blog.html
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1000
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1179
http://geocities.com/solarcookingman

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

It just so happens that Otmar has a schematic of a curtis controller
somewhere.  I'm not EVen sure if it's complete but it's the most complete
one I know of that you can have for free.    Reverse engineer a Curtis?
Many people have done it.  It's a good basic design.  Lawrnece Rhodes....
> > Too me, what you are suggesting we do is kind of like when Hitler
suggested everyone but blue eyed blonde's should killed.
> I want to make an open source controller design so we can get rid of the
> polution that kills the world and to that end I'm curious about how the
> zilla is built and that makes me hitler?
> further, Otmar reversed engineered a curtis

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have to add that the Robo vacuum is also quite a neat thing. Even it's choking on my carpets and even ant has more IQ it's still neat. I was just another day measuring how I can duct tape the 200 Ah Lion on the back of it... :B

I think you can get away with 4-5 kw motor on the mowler. unless you're going for Heavy Metal Garde Tractors head...

Motor:
http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=527&product_id=4166

Controller:
http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=262&product_id=3435

And 25,2 V 30/40/50 Ah Lion pack with BMS.

-Jukka

p.s.- There will be 50 Lion packs (~24V) coming back from testfield. few hundred cycles in. Newer system with greater capacity goes in return. Anyone interested in "old" ones ?

Danny Miller kirjoitti:
Hey don't knock the Robomower. Small, 24v system, slow, but it's automatic and mows all by itself. Neat toy and one of the few tech toys with real-world practical value.

Having used some of the push-type electrics, I'd assume you'd want to use
a large guage wire for a rider w/ a 200' distance. Maybe you could install
a couple more plugs around the yard?

I have some ideas to deal with the cord. I was thinking about using one
of those cord reel setups. We'll have to see how it holds up reeling under
load. Or maybe a coiled cord affair with a mast on the mower and
elevated attach point on the house. The farthest point is around 200'+
from the plug.

I have almost an acre under grass and It will get kind of dicey out on
the edge where about a 1/3 acre chunk has a dozen trees on it.

The main question that I have is: The current ICE motor on it is a 19HP
Briggs. What HP electric motor do I need to replace that?

David

Try this, ed:

> Converting a car to electric -> Vehicle UPGRADE, or
Car Retrofit for the zero petroleum age.

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the
Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

Ok, we'll ignore all of the reasons that large trucks make REALLY poor
conversion candidates and answer your questions.

First, even though you didn't ask, I believe your weight estimate is
wrong.  You didn't mention which type of battery, but common 6V golf cart
batteries weigh about 61-63 lbs each, it takes 24 of them for 144V, so
each string will weigh almost 1500 lbs, if you could manage to stuff three
strings in, they would weigh close to 4500 lbs and that doesn't count the
weight of the cables and battery boxes.
They are also rather large, so you will end up having to put some in the
bed.  The engine bay is going to be pretty full with couple large electric
motors and one or two controllers, plus you'll probably end up mounting
one or two chargers in there.
If you already have the truck, you can figure this out yourself, each GC
battery is about 10.5" L x 7.2" W x 11.2" H.  Make a model out of carboard
or foam and try seeing how many you can fit into a given area.
FWIW just sitting on the ground they will fill up an area a bit of 5 feet
wide by 8 feet long.

Second, you don't want to switch each bank in one at a time, you want to
wire all three strings together and use them all at once.  This will give
you more range and the batteries will last longer.
Lead-Acid batteries produce more energy at low discharge rates than they
do at high discharger rates.  By using all of the batteries at the same
time, each bank only sees 1/3 of the current needed to move the vehicle.
Batteries are sort of like people.  A person in good shape could walk
50-60 miles before getting tired, but they might only be able to jog 10-15
miles before getting tired and only be able to run flat out for a mile or
so.  So by reducing the load on the batteries to 1/3 they will last 4-5
times as long.
By my calculations, if you use each string individually you will end up
with about 25-30 miles of range, but by using them all at the same time
youll get 40-50 miles of range (at about 45 mph)

Also, this is a big truck with a lot of weight, that's going to take a lot
of current.  If each string has to handle all this current by itself, then
the batteries will wear out in less than a year.  By sharing the load you
should get two or maybe even three years out of the pack.  Granted to even
consider this project you have to be fairly well off, but even so you
probably dont want to be spending $5,000-$6,000 on batteries every year.

You'll want to keep the transmission otherwise you won't be able to climb
any but the mildest hills and acceleration will be terminally slow.  Think
zero to 60 times in the minutes not seconds.

How did you come up with 1,600 lbs for the motor and transmission?  A
modern V8 weighs about 550 lbs and the transmission probably weighs 150
lbs.  I think you're are off by about 1,000 lbs.
With fuel tank, radiator, etc, you will drop about 1,000 lbs total and add
4500 lbs of batteries, 300+ lbs of electric motors and probably another
700 lbs of cables, lugs, controllers, chargers, battery racks, etc.

I get the finished weight of the vehicle at around 10,500 lbs or roughly
2,000 lbs over the GVWR (without even adding the driver or cargo), so you
are going to need to beef up the suspension.
You could drop to only two strings of batteries, that will bring you
closer to the GVWR and you won't loose bed space to batteries.  But your
range will drop from 40-50 miles to about 30 or so.

I'd estimate a conversion cost of about $20,000 to $25,000.  You could
maybe knock off $5,000 or so, if you built it to have a top speed of only
35 mph.  This will also extend your range a bit, maybe another 5-10 miles

Good luck.

--- Bob Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Dave Cover; Porsche 944 with BB-600 nicads. He made his debut at Pof DC.

It's not a new tale, but I've been going through hell trying to get my car
registered. It's been
almost two weeks since I first went in to get my car registered and I'm still
no closer. In fact,
if I have to go through a mechanical inspection, it could be three of four
weeks before I can get
a scheduled appointment. And they won't/can't tell you what they're looking
for. I left my name
and number with at least 5 people before I got a call back. One guy finally
found a document
outlining EV specs writen in 1994.

Here are some of the requirements;
- Must be able to start and climb a 20% grade, forward or backwards.
- Must be able to maintain 15.5 mph on a 10% grade.
- Must be able to drive at 49.7 mph for 5 minutes.
- Must have a range of 34 miles.
- Must have a charger capable of recharging within 10 hours.
- Must be able to sit anywhere from -13 to 122 degrees F for 8 hours and then
start and run.
- Must have contrasting color power leads.
- Must have ventilated battery enclosures that will keep the hydrogen levels
below 4%.
- Etc., etc.

They don't know what to do with EVs, and I'm having lot's of fun educating
them. As I'm talking to
this guy he's saying we have to make sure the motor doesn't stick on and run
into a mall and kill
somebody. I try to explain about my purpose built (Zilla) controller and all of
it's safety
features, but he doesn't want to hear it. Too many preconceived notions out
there.

The main problem is that I bought the car from out of state and I'm registering
it as an electric
car. If you register it before the conversion, no problem. Bob Rice got his
done without a hitch.

IF ANYONE IS CONSIDERING AN EV IN CONNECTICUT, REGISTER IT FIRST, THEN CONVERT
IT!

My sad story is not over yet. I'll keep you posted.

By the way, Fortunat Mueller posted about his experience a few years ago and
how the emissions
inspector came to his house for the inspection. That was the only thing that
went right for me.
Walt Bertotti works for the emissions dept out of Cheshire. He will come to
your house and certify
that your car is no longer a gasser and doesn't need emission testing. You can
call him at
203-271-5410, or the DMV Emissions Division at 203-805-6243. These people were
very helpful. Funny
thing is, one of the first people at DMV I spoke with said the Cheshire office
was shut down two
years ago and they no longer go out and do inspections. I guess nobody told
Walt that. Sigh.

Dave Cover

PS Anyone know a corrupt politician I can pay off? It might be easier that way.

You are absolutely right.  Two systems that produce the same power will
have about the same performance.  Assuming they are built to about the
same standards, AC or DC will have about the same efficiency.

The commonly available AC systems are about 5%-10% more efficient than the
commonly used DC systems, but there are DC systems readily available that
are only 1-2% lower and that offer regen, but they cost about the same
(per kw) as the AC systems.

The really big advantage (IMHO) is that brushless systems don't create
brush dust, so the motors can last longer without maintenance.

John has stacked the deck a bit, however, because he was comparing 45kw AC
systems to a 500+ kw DC system.  Obviously if you have 10 times the power
you will have better performance.
At the moment there aren't any remotely affordable 500kw AC systems so the
performance advantage currently goes to the DC systems