  1) Re: Safety of inverter/controller or whole system? (Re: Tesla...)
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Tesla roadster motor philsophy plain text
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) Re: thinking about cost
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Cool looking EVs needed for Ventura Sierra Club Event
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: thinking about cost
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Safety of inverter/controller or whole system?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Series/parallel motor clarification
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) open source motor controller
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: EV count CT heard From. WARNING, CT DMV is anti-EV!
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Two
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Educating Dan.     Was:Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting
 rich?
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Educating Dan. Was:Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Grass Roots charging infrastructure Was: Quick VEVCS poll
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Grass Roots charging infrastructure Was: Quick VEVCS poll
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) DMV anti-EV (Was: EV count CT heard From. WARNING, CT DMV is anti-EV!)
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
At the risk of being repetitive, and dragging out a thread that already has
gone on quite a long time, let me emphasize that my concern is over the
ubiquity of DC systems with little or no runaway safeguard protection.

It's pretty easy to make a DC controller with few or no safeguards, and I'd
venture to say that the majority used by hobbyists has been made this way.
Of course, a designer could stint on safety in an AC inverter, too.  While
(as I understand it, I'm not a EE) full-on failure of an AC inverter can't
happen through catastrophic failure of the power devices, probably the most
common failure, in theory I suppose it could happen through a logic circuit
failure or even a firmware bug.

So why don't the common DC controllers have built in logic to shut down in
the event of a detected runaway, as the Zilla does?  I think that part of it
is because most of these controllers are really repurposed golf car and
industrial vehicle controllers.  A golf car unintentionally going full speed
ahead (what, 15 mph?) is pretty unsettling, but a road EV out of control and
headed for 75 or 80 mph is deadly.  If all else fails, a golfer with a
zorched controller can drive round in circles on the golf course until the
battery is flat.  Try that with a road EV that's going full bore.

Also, many EV hobbyists are either poor or cheap.  They can't or won't pay
extra for safety features - just ask Rich about the reception he's gotten
for full isolation, which would enhance safety, in his chargers.  (I'm not
saying all EVers are like that, but many are.)

The most commonly used controller for hobbyist conversions - Curtis - has
minimal runaway protection.  Systems with Curtis controllers can be
configured to open the contactor when the accelerator is released.  IMO,
this is the bare minimum for safety.  But some users defeat even this
feature because they don't like the "clack-clack" of the contactor opening
and closing.  These folks are depending on their ability to shut off the
keyswitch or open the main breaker if the controller should fail full-on -
if they are thinking about it at all.  But by the time they're able to do
that, many of them will have already slammed into the car ahead, blasted
through the back of the garage, or run down the pedestrian.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

As a past owner of a Solectria Force I could regain 30% of the energy used
to go up a hill coming back down. Overall I averaged around 10 to 15 percent
additional miles in the Portland area. To add regen to a DC motor is this not
the cost near the price of an AC drive if both bought new?  If one was to
recapture this much energy with a DC motor. Would you have to be replacing
brushes more and having to turn the commutator? Any maintenance on the DC motor

should be considered as additional cost or savings.

John your point  regen is not best used all the time is true. I have found it
is always better to  retain as much of the momentum as possible or ICE
drivers behind you will allow.  I use regen to keep from getting speeding
tickets on
hills. Slowing your speed  so you do not stop at lights which drives ICE
drivers crazy. The Solectria is  the only factory vehicle I have driven so far
that the regen could almost  entirely replace the brakes. I consider regen to
be
a high performance feature.  It does not increase your speed but it does
increases your range. The Solectria  Force is not a fast vehicle but It is fun
drive using one pedal. Kind of like  performance ICE with a stick when you use
the engine compression. I have ordered  an AC motor from Victor and hope to
build something with a little higher  performance.

John I agree with you about building a vehicle that only  was for 100 miles
on a flat freeway. Unless there were very significant hills  you will actually
decrease your range using the regen. You would have less  maintenance though
on the AC motor in the long term. I know this is a minor  point to you.

So for all out acceleration or a non stop flat long  distance run not
considering maintenance AC advantage is diminished. However  either of these
uses
would be a very one purpose vehicle. My point is that a  vehicle that can go
fairly fast and long distance would be more fun for everyday  use. Regardless
the
chemistry of the pack building a vehicle with an AC drive  for everyday use
has advantages.

I could not agree with you more a lighter vehicle does provide the best
performance but it does put you at risk in an accident. The loss of weight is
huge too bad all the newer cars are so darn heavy.

Your statement the  expensive electric AC cars are overpriced diminishes
their achievements. If a  vehicle can go 30 or 40 miles and regen adds 4 or 6
miles that is significant.  So is A vehicle capable of 200 miles and regen
adding
20 miles in the right  conditions. To do this and not have to replace your
brake pads with higher  reliability AC drives does have value. An AC drive
could
have been used in the  Red beastie it would just need the right gearing. With
all that weight a lot of  energy could be recovered. Of course under the right
conditions.

I drive  a 4500 hundred pound AC vehicle and it has the ability of 0 to 50 in
less that  10 seconds with lead or NiMH batteries.
http://avt.inl.gov/fsev.shtml Used it is  1/4 the cost of the 100,000 cars but
with NiMH batteries. I
can go to Costco,  Home Depot or any where else with 7 or 8 hundred pounds
loaded on. It is a multi  purpose vehicle that can haul 2 or 3 if needed and
has a
50 mile range. I have  seen it put back in the pack 60 Amps at 380 volts
getting off freeway off ramps.  At 400 volts the regen starts to taper off and
420
it rolls out as the batteries  are fully charged. Same running gear as the EV1
you drove but using the Tech2 GM  tool for the live readings.

Were you not impressed with the EV1 AC drive for street use?

Don

In a message dated 6/11/2007 7:37:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Hello to All,

I find the following  comments interesting, because as with most everyone
else's pro-AC comments,  it gives large credit to the AC drive for a
vehicle's longer than average  range, when in fact, it had very little to
do with  it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>As Victor pointed out. Focusing  on 1/4  mile times as a vehicles value over
>looks why we have 300  million cars and  trucks on the road.
>Sure  you can load in  enough inexpensive lead batteries to do this with a
DC
>drive.  How  much fun would that non performance vehicle be to drive
everyday?

I agree, it's not a lot of fun when loading up a vehicle with  with
inexpensive lead acid batteries. I know. I speak from experience as one
who co-engineered, co-designed, co-built, then drove for 3+ years one of
the highest range per charge lead acid powered EVs around, Red Beastie.
For those who do not know, this converted '95 Toyota Xtra Cab truck
packed around 2500 lbs. in lead acid batteries and could travel 120+
miles per charge. It was successfully driven on the I-5 freeway system
between the major West Coast cities of Portland, Oregon and Seattle,
Washington on two occasions, a 440 mile round trip. This truck only
required one re-charge along the way, too.

Don, your point about AC  is mute in regards to this vehicle. With an AC
motor replacing the very high  torque 9 inch DC motor in this truck, the
5300 lb. truck would have  struggled even more on the hills and probably
would have consumed 'more'  current, not less. The AC motor would have
provided regen, but it would have  done close to nothing to increase the
range as most all of the driving was  at constant freeway speeds, and
when going down-hill after the many up-hill  grades on this run, coasting
for many miles was part of the strategy for  distance driving. Regen
would have slowed the truck down too much to help at  all. When I used to
rent EV1s when traveling in California, I found the  highest range per
charge was achieved by switching off the coast-down regen  feature. Regen
was used only in braking coming off the freeway ramps and
in-town...there, yes, it was quite nice.

>The many  lead acid  packs one would have to keep buying and installing
would
>not be what  I  call an added bonus.

I don't think anyone  on this list would argue with your point about the
limitations of lead acid  batteries. 2500 lbs. of them is a bit over the
top, but it got the job done  at the time.

>The TZero or Tesla with an AC drive propose is not   just an ET slip.  Here
is
>a link to a 245 mile trip with a claim of  having  at least another 40 miles
>left.   http://www.acpropulsion.com/tzero/SEMAtrip2003.htm When building a
>vehicle that  is enjoyable to drive, regen for increase distance  and
reliability
>are an  important requirements. AC drives are  already better values if you
use
>these as  your performance  standards.

Good point, but your point seems to  be more about using expensive
lithium batteries.

Saying that Red  Beastie achieved its strong range per charge because it
had a 'DC drive  system' would be silly, because the real reason, was
that is packed 47% of  its total weight in batteries. Saying that the
tZero went 245 miles because  of its 'AC drive system' is equally silly,
when it did so because it has a  $60,000 lithium pack in a minimalist
tiny, quivering fiberglass toy car. A  DC drive in the same car would
yield way higher performance and about the  same range. Your point about
the drive system is mute.

I again, am  amazed at this constant flag waving over the two minimalist
vehicles out  there, the tZero and the Wrightspeed...both in excess of
$100,000...in order  to justify AC drive system performance. You pretty
much 'have to' put an AC  drive system in such ridiculous vehicles in
order to attain any respectable  performance figures. What happens to
them when they're not? Well, two of  them in a Subaru...that's at least
$20,000 worth of AC equipment, generate  an 'OK' (for such a highly
touted drive system) 0-60 in ~ 7 seconds.
One  9 inch motor backed by a Zilla Z2K (about a $7000 drive system) in
this same  car with the same battery pack, would deliver 0-60 in about 5
seconds...a  HUGE improvement in performance.

If you want to talk about the need for  range plus fun drivability, you
won't get any argument from me that lead  acid doesn't cut it. If you
want to talk about using exotic and expensive  batteries to get the job
done, you won't get any argument out of me on this,  either. If you want
to admit that using a minimalist vehicle to help achieve  the best power
to weight ratio helps to achieve these two parameters (long  range and
great acceleration), you won't get any argument from me on this,  either.
But, if you take such a vehicle and claim that all the great stuff  about
it (range and acceleration together) is because it has an AC drive
system, well...you just sound a little silly, that's all.
You seem to  ignore the real reasons for the delivered performance
(minimalist car +  exotic batteries = long range and great power to
weight ratio). The tZero  had the same AC drive system in it, when it was
powered by lead acid  batteries. It weighed about half what Red Beastie
weighed and packed about  half the battery weight as well. Where the
similarity begins, is that both  vehicles packed close to 50% lead acid
battery weight. Though there were  lots of outrageous claims, my personal
talks with the AC Propulsion guys  revealed that the real range at 60 mph
or so, was about 100 miles...still  great, no doubt. The reason the car
now goes 250-300 miles per charge, is  all due to its $60,000 battery
pack as installed in a minimalist type  vehicle...it has little to do
with its AC drive.

See Ya.....John  Wayland

Sure, but it's even cheaper (still) to keep buying
gasoline (unless you drive Hummer). So if money is
absolute top priority, conversion makes no sense at all.

At least today.

Victor

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
True enough, however the number of people interested in EVs shoots up
whenever gas prices jump up.  This indicates that for many people it's
more about economics than the enviroment.

Many folks think they will save a bundle by building an EV, and this
simply isn't true. You might save a little in the loong run, but you have
to spend a bundle up front.
A lot of folks (most) choke on this and decide to the cheaper route, which
currently means DC.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- This came in on the NEDRA Newswire. If anyone would like to help out please call Dorothy Littlejohn. Thanks - Chip, NEDRA

I know this is gettin to be short notice, but we just found out about you. The Sierra Club is working with the City of Ventura on their annual Street Fair downtown on the 4th of July. They close off about 10 blocks of Main Street and have given us a block for a "Cool, Clean and Fossil Free" transportation exhibit. We have some biodiesel, veggie cars, solar electric prius, electric scooter, electric bike, Rav 4, CNG Honda Civic, a bunch of bicycles, the bus company will have a booth, the ride share and City of Ventura with their bike lane proposals, skateboarders, and such. What we are missing are some really cool looking fast and fossil free vehicles. Know anyone in the Central Coast who might like to participate with us?

Dorothy Littlejohn
Los Padres Chapter Sierra Club
Energy Conservation Chair
805 962-8415
www.people2peopletv.blogspot.com

Spending a bundle up front is wise investment.

If we continue to use gasoline like we are it is not just the gas that will
cost more. Our dollar is being devalued and sending more money overseas to buy
 fuel is just adding to the problem. So not buying oil or trying to buy as
little  as possible makes all the sense now not later. Our country runs on oil
and  would come to a screeching halt if we did not have it. So if over  look
all the other reasons it is in the best interest of the  country.  Driving an
electric vehicle is a very patriotic. It also is  a better use of millions of
vehicles that would otherwise become scrap  metal.

Don

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> True enough, however  the number of people interested in EVs shoots up
> whenever gas prices  jump up.  This indicates that for many people it's
> more about  economics than the enviroment.
>
> Many folks think they will save  a bundle by building an EV, and this
> simply isn't true. You might save a  little in the loong run, but you have
> to spend a bundle up  front.
> A lot of folks (most) choke on this and decide to the cheaper  route, which
> currently means DC.

At 10:37 AM 6/11/2007, you wrote:
did you buy a controller from him?

        My oh my. You are a newby, aren't you...

        You need to do a little of your own homework.

To be honest, I really don't like the "let's gang up on this guy" sort of comments I have been reading. I do agree that Dan needs a mild slap on the wrist for attempting to bad mouth Otmar. I know that Otmar finds this all very amusing and knows that this guy has no chance whatsoever of duplicating the Zilla, even if he does get a picture of the innards.

By asking me if I own a Zilla he is showing that he really is not willing or able to do the most simple research before he writes a note to the EVDL. If he bothered to read the CafeElectric website or if he made a ten second Google on "Bill Dube" he would have been able to answer this question.

Maybe I'm "feeding the troll" but I'd like to think of it in a more Pavlovian sense that I am "training the troll." :-)

        Bill Dube'  (Yes, I own a Zilla.)

Bill Dube skrev:
Otmar tells me anything I ask him, but I'm not trying to rip off his design and sell it as my own. :-)

If I am driving on a curve at 60 miles an hour and there is a 1/2 second
of a locked wheel, I am no longer the driver, just a passenger. You are
thinking of stright line open freeway only Victor.

I think the best way to sum this up is equal but different :-)

Dale,
There's a decent drawing in the Zilla Owners Manual that you can get from Cafe
Electric here:
http://cafeelectric.com/products/zilla/HB202.pdf

It show a single motor implementing reversing contactors as well a dual motors
implementing both series/parallel and reversing
contactors

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

Dan,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no free lunch.

If you have a motor with a high RPM redline, it will
require a higher voltage simply because it generates
a higher back-EMF that counter-acts the voltage
that the controller applies to the motor.
If the controller does not provide a high enough
voltage, then the motor will lack power at high
RPMs, there will not be enough current flow through the
motor due to the lack of voltage difference between the
applied voltage and back EMF.

Another issue with high voltage controllers is that the
higher the voltage, the lower the current that can be
carried by a certain amount of silicon.
Now you may say that it won't matter - the power is still
the same if the voltage is double and the current half.
Correct - but the motor is not always turning at optimal
RPMs. Starting torque is linear with current through the
motor, so half the current is half the starting torque.

Since the max RPMs of an AC motor can be double the speed
of a DC motor, you can adjust the gearing to double the
starting torque again (half the gear ratio) but now you
have gained nothing: the motor is running at double speed
and it is immediately reduced to half, so you have the same
power and torque, no matter if you have a high voltage
or low voltage setup. Main drawbacks of high voltage are
the large nr of batteries required and the high wear of
the gearbox (or an impossible to find diff ratio).
What can give you higher low speed torque is a large
ratio between battery current and maximum motor current,
in other words: much more silicon than needed for the
average drive current.
I think that is what Otmar did with the Zilla.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

From: Brandon Kruger
Date: 6/11/2007 3:56:54 PM
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I thought AC and DC circuit breakers worked differently. A 100amp
House circuit breaker may not work well in your EV.

Brandon Kruger
http://bmk789.dyndns.org/ev/
http://cafepress.com/altfuel

On 6/11/07, Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Have you thought about using 100 amp house circuit breakers?
In a electrical box

----------------------

Hey,
Being that I am inexperenced but maybe with enough knowledge to finally
answer a question more on my level...

You can use switches to switch in batteries. They are called contactors
when
used for such high amps. Similar to relays but heavier duty. You should
arrange and wire the batteries in a series/ parallel arrangement so that
theyare all discharging at 24, 48 and 96 volts, or whatever voltage you
want
Older controllers were called contactor controllers. They mechanically
switched voltages, I imaging kinda like shifting gears. There is
information
on the EVDL pertaining to their construction. I could send you past posts
Ive saved. I plan to make a controller using a Parallax microcontroller.
Programmed to energize different contactors remotely placed at the
batterry
pack depending on the position of my throttle potentiometer. (anyone with
suggestions on this im open to suggestions).

I think a cheap controller can be had from a junked golf cart? Some club
cars have a pretty decent sized controller and maybe you can get it cheap.

Otherwise I think you are gonna spend atleast 500 dollars.

Hope this helps.
Paul

________________________________

From: Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:56:18 -0400
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Egaddss Dave, what a run around.  I hope you can get your car
registered. It's a nice piece of work. It sure handled great at the
PODC.

I can feel your pain. We had a fellow get the run around in MD and
finally gave up and sent the car down to his son in FL where it
passed with flying colors. FL appears to be somewhat liberal when it
comes to registering EVs.

The Maryland State Police is now inspecting EV Conversions here.  The
police sargent "personally" drove that fellow's car to a weigh
station and flunked it because it was over the Gross Vehicle Weight.
Well, that's no surprise with it loaded down with flooded batteries.

So converting a flooded lead acid car in Maryland is going to be a
hassle. The only work around we can think of is to take a few of the
batteries out before it gets weighed. Hopefully they won't do a range
test. Or like you mentioned have the car inspected before the
conversion.

It sounds like this is going to continue to be a problem. If we are
stuck with lead the issues will be the car will be too heavy if we
use flooded batteries but if we go with AGMs the range may be an
issue if they require a 35 to 40 mile range test.

I guess we need to know the requirements before doing the conversions.

Chip

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07