  1) Re: What batteries to try next?
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Aircraft Starter generator
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) EV Library, What Books Would You Recommend?
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV achilles' heel
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) High voltage? was Anyone heard of these Li-Ion batteries - or
        using them?
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Aircraft Starter generator
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: EV achilles' heel
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: High voltage? was Anyone heard of these Li-Ion batteries - or
 using them?
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Aircraft Starter generator
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: DC/DC converter needed for project
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: acidity of battery terminal crud?
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Towing an EV
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: How the Prius Works
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Towing an EV
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: gas taxes...
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Sorry to Dan and the list
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: .57 modifier for LeadAcid,  Is it the same for AGM's, Li-On, etc.
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Towing an EV
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Towing an EV
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Anyone heard of these Li-Ion batteries - or using them?
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Fined for not paying gas tax
        by "Randall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Maybe a cheap set of
> Sam's Club specials for
> $60 each (they won't last long, but the price is
> low).

>Since there is so much volitility and new things on
the horizon in the batt market I would opt for the
cheepies.   although I do have a 48v  40ah set of
lithiums from Valence (not at all cheep) They have
performed well for the last two years but they are in
a pedal electric hybred and have never been below 80%
so I do not know how they perorm on bigger packs and
deeper discharges
good luck
kEVs

> Many switch to an "exotic" battery? Thundersky
> lithiums (but where to
> get good ones)? Nicads? Nimh?
>
> I'm open to suggestions! :-)
>
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

Hopfully if nothing else your first EV grin 8^)
Cya
Jim
--- Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So this is my project now   a aircraft starter
> generator  on a Geo metro
> convertible
> The motor is 400 amp at 300 volts  permanent
> magnet..
>
> So guys in lighting me .. What do I have to look
> forward to on my first EV
>
> --

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Hi folks,

I am putting together a long overdue update for the So You Want To Build and EV page, and it occurred to me that rather than fumble about trying to find what books I should recommend, I should just ask the EVDL. Currently the list is:

Convert It by Mike Brown

Build Your Own Electric Vehicle by Bob Brant

The New Electric Vehicles by Michael Hackleman

The Complete Book of Electric Vehicles by Sheldon Shacket

How to Convert to an Electric Car by Ted Lucas.

I know that there are a lot that should be added, some how to, some why to, and some just history.

What would you recommend be suggest to new folks interested in getting into EVs?

Thanks,

Mike Chancey
Webmaster
EV Photo Album
http://evalbum.com
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I understand the notion of furthering the range with a combustion engine. I suggested it earlier today. what I meant by insane was I would never drive a pusher. a generator trailer sure, but a pusher? that's just wrong :) especially a fly by wire one where it might jam full on. that someone would even entertain the idea is amazing

but I guess it isn't much different than trusting an automatic gear

Bob Rice wrote:
pusher trailer seems insane to me
 Hi Dan;

Yeah! Ya have a good point. But they are handy for that occasional 2000 mile trip to see Aunt Tilly in Toledo and you are in Wenachee, Washington. You wouldn't use the damn thing for day to day trips that you use an EV for.It could be a Club thing, shared for the need to use basis?Maybe cheaper than renting a car, Amtrak, or Jet Blue, IF ya stop off and see other Listers along the way?

  A EV can be your ONLY car?

  Sea Ya

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 17:53 -0700, Michael Barkley wrote:
> My brother showed me this Li-Ion battery website
> today:
>
> http://www.tekbattery.com/products.html

My question is, why on earth would each 12V battery have a "high
voltage" warning label?  I can understand why you'd want to label a 48V+
*pack* of batteries with such a warning, but each battery?

The danger that a single one of these batteries would pose has to do
with discharge *current* if you short one. But then the same is true of
a car or golf cart battery.

Am I being too critical, or is the person assembling or selling these
batteries just being dumb/paranoid/etc?

--
Christopher Robison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I see I had a typo..  400 Amos 30 volts

Hopfully if nothing else your first EV grin 8^)
Cya
Jim
--- Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So this is my project now a aircraft starter
> generator on a Geo metro
> convertible
> The motor is 400 amp at 300 volts permanent
> magnet..
>
> So guys in lighting me .. What do I have to look
> forward to on my first EV
>
> --

______
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

This is almost off-topic, but since we are talking about BEV/HEV stuff,
I'll post anyways....

>cleanly, maybe cleaner than a coal fired electric plant, although not Bio
>neutral, but either is coal. I'm not talking the average Briggs and
Stratton
>with a stone age $5 carb runningthe middle easts finest.

Not necessarily. You really need to look at the emissions results from
real (not roadside) FTP or HDDT or LSI cycle testing to understand.
The cleanest cars tend to be very late-model Honda gasoline
vehicles. Briggs or motorcycle engines or whatever being fed LPG
through a carburettor/mixer or whatever is not going to be cleaner
than *any* modern ICE fed with a modern fuel management system.
Even the particulate matter produced by the higher oil consumption
of these air-cooled or high-revving cammed-up engines will wreck
the emissions numbers.

Unless you have the following, you CANNOT beat a modern gasoline ICE
for emissions throughout its life cycle, operating cycle, and other
things that they are called to do:

1. Well designed engine to make reasonable hydrocarbon, CO, and NOx
emission balance, along with good efficiency and low oil consumption.
2. Accurate and fast fuel control (this can actually be an LPG carb
but more than likely needs to be fuel injection of some kind).
3. Accurate front oxygen sensor algorithm. Wideband O2 sensors are
used often for this purpose to improve the response time. Occasionally
both a wideband and a stoich sensor are used together as a wideband
sensor is not quite as accurate whereas the stoich sensor does not
give you a clear error magnitude indication.
4. Efficient catalytic converter formulated correctly for the
expected emissions balance *from that engine*.
5. Rear oxygen sensor (post-catalyst). This has what is called a
'minor effect on fuelling' in the service manuals, but this sensor
is critical in obtaining the ultra-low emissions values obtained
with these vehicles.
6. At least half a year of calibration work (yes, calibration work
alone - not including software development) by a pretty reasonably
sized development team.
7. Probably a processor like the MPC565 to churn through all of
the code and catalyst oxygen storage models and intake manifold
filling and temperature models, and sensor diagnostics, and sensor
ageing compensators, and... etc... The processing required for this
is several times more complex than even the most complex AC
vector-based EV controller.
8. Several man-years of software development.

You can apply all of these methods to an alternate fuel too.
CNG and LPG offer better cold-start emissions numbers. CNG offers
lower non-methane hydrocarbon numbers. NOx can be slightly lower
because the NOx/HC tradeoff allows slightly richer operation,
mostly because methane does not count as reactive emissions.

You would be better off emissions and efficiency-wise to use
an engine from a modern Honda or for that matter any other vehicle,
with the emissions equipment intact and operating correctly.

By the way, this is my day job - ICE engine management systems,
primarily using natural gas (CNG) as a fuel. I can calibrate a
CNG or LPG system to water your eyes from so much NOx, or
aspyxiate you in a few minutes from too much CO, or make you
seek a less smelly area from ammonia and hydrogen sulphide.
It isn't automatically cleaner.

You can download car and engine emission test results from
the EPA web site, although you might need some help interpreting
the results if you are not familiar with automobile test
procedures. You also need to know that there are different
test cycles for different engine types. Cars and small trucks
run the FTP and US06, heavy-duty trucks run the HDDT, and
small off-road engines like the Briggs will run either the LSI
or SORE tests.

-Dale

I wondered about that too
maybe it has to do with the problem that comes with shorting this particular product. it might burn/explode so they put a known label on to make people more aware perhaps

Christopher Robison wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 17:53 -0700, Michael Barkley wrote:
My brother showed me this Li-Ion battery website
today:

http://www.tekbattery.com/products.html

My question is, why on earth would each 12V battery have a "high
voltage" warning label?  I can understand why you'd want to label a 48V+
*pack* of batteries with such a warning, but each battery?

The danger that a single one of these batteries would pose has to do
with discharge *current* if you short one. But then the same is true of
a car or golf cart battery.

Am I being too critical, or is the person assembling or selling these
batteries just being dumb/paranoid/etc?

--- Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I see I had a typo..  400 Amos 30 volts
                              ^
Hey Phelps, looks like two in a row,  Getting excited
are you, hehehe.  No time for email checks, got to go
work on the convertion, LMAO.  Sorry couldn't resist
8^)

How big is this motor?  If you want, take some pics
and send them over to me, and I'll have a look.
Matter of fact have someone else take the pics cause
you'll be all excited and jittery and they'll come out
blurry 8^P  Pics of the brushes and commutator will be
helpful.

Cya

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the
Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

I sold my old DCP and went with a Belktronix.  $395
for 60A.

--- Roger Daisley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The only item missing from my inventory of parts
> needed for my VW conversion
> is a DC/DC converter. I'm running a 96v pack and
> only need a nominal DC/DC
> converter for vehicle lights, etc. (Will be using
> with normal vehicle
> battery.)
>
> Prices and ideas seem to range from the cheap to
> exotic. Frankly, I'm
> confused and don't want to spend $1,000+ on a
> "gold-plated" converter or
> $19.99 on a cheap battery charger from Harbor
> Freight that probably won't
> work, anyway. I'd appreciate any off-list
> suggestions for a good economical,
> reliable and safe converter. Maybe you even have one
> laying around that is
> gathering dust and still has the smoke inside ...
> I'm open for offers to
> purchase.
>
> Roger Daisley
> Pullman, WA
> http://ElectricVW.blogspot.com

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Get your own web address.

--- Begin Message --- Best way to get rid of it is with a solution of baking soda and water - dissolves and neutralizes any acid present.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

From: "David S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Fined for not paying gas tax.
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:07:18 -0500

Driver ticketed for using biofuel
Vegetable oil sticks him with $1,000 fine

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/599471.html

Yes the article is biofuel but could be about any fuel including
electricity.