  1) RE: Solectria Force Contactor?
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: AWD Conversions?
        by "Mark Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: AWD Conversions?
        by "Sean Korb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: AWD Conversions?
        by "Paschke, Stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: DCDC converter, was Doers vs talkers
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Clutch
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it. Ruland shaft coupler
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) unsubscibe
        by "Peel, Robert \(.\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Wheelchair batteries
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: EVision sneak preview
        by "John O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: to quote the Beatles, "HELP"  Zilla problems
        by "John O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dana Havranek)
 15) Re: Nicad batteries
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: AC Motor?
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Google presses for 100 MPG vehicle
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Going Clutchless
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: EV parts ordered! - ?questions?
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Zombie rises from the dead Siamese8 lives again
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: AWD Conversions?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
>on squeezing out another percentage point or two of efficiency, and I'd
guess
>that he also wanted to keep the prices from getting too unreasonable.

I gotta admit those controllers, if they held together, should have been
very efficient. I think I drop a percentage point in efficiency with my
IGBT rebuild, but 250V, 300A MOSFET modules are a bit expensive and rare
these days. I don't want to worry about matching a ton of MOSFET's like
Otmar has to do.

> Didn't the later ones use a single-speed gearbox and their
> AC system? Was their AC system any more reliable than the
> brushless DC units?

>I don't know about "later."  I own Solectria Force #1, and it has an AC
>induction drive with a single speed gearbox.
Maybe, but those brushless DC motors shouldn't be cheaper than the
AC ones, should they? Do you know if they used the same control
board for their AC controllers as their BLDC's?

>I got the impression that not many of the DC cars were sold, but your
>experience may suggest otherwise.

My two BRLS-16 motors actually came from a university that purchased
them back in, oh, maybe 1992 or 1993 for a hybrid-electric vehicle
project. They (the controllers - not the motors) blew up several
times, got repaired just in time for competition, then blew up
after the competition, I think either shortly after getting home
or just before getting in the trailer. The team switched over to
UQM motors shortly after that. I'm only aware of the one BLDC
Force that I have the controller out of, though I'm sending it
back (repaired) in a few days.

The reason for the original question, though, was that I raised
the amount of capacitor in there by a factor of three, mostly to
get a ripple current rating that's high enough. I would prefer
to have a ripple current rating equal to the maximum motor current,
but I settled for around 50% of that rating... still over double
the original parts installed. I wanted to ensure that some
contactor would not weld shut on the first power-up. It's about
25,000 uF of capacitor and 60 or 70 amps of ripple current.

-Dale

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I think you will find your losses in friction and extra forces needed to run AWD are not worth the energy it will take to do it. Think about it this way. A lot of the big SUVs (Support Usama Vehicles) are the one's that get the least in fuel efficiency. A lot of that is the weight and some their elephant aerodynamics, but much of it is the AWD they don't need most of the time. There isn't any efficiency in turning parts you don't really need. The most efficient EV would be one with a single motor mounted on a single wheel directly driving it. You get the idea.

Mark Ward
"Saabrina" World's first NG 900 Saab EV
www.saabrina.blogspot.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John A. Evans - N0HJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G
Date: 6/19/2007 8:25:38 AM
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: Clutch

Mitchell,

What are you doing with your old geo motor? Is it a 1.0 3 cylinder?

You can shift without a clutch. You just have to match road speed to
What gear you will be in. Be very careful though - Geo transmissions
Are notorious for ruining synchros in 1st and 2nd from downshifting. It
Is said they are soft and break easily. I would recommend keeping the
Clutch just so you don't have problems later.

From: Brandon Kruger
Date: 6/18/2007 12:27:58 PM
To: EV list
Subject: Wheelchair batteries

Hey everyone,
After searching the archives, I didn't see anything about using
Wheelchair batteries in an EV. Are they commonly deep-cycle or suited
For an EV? I saw some 50Ah AGM Diehard wheelchair batteries at Sears
For a good price. Has anyone had any experience with wheelchair
Batteries?

--
Brandon Kruger
http://bmk789.dyndns.org/ev/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Sounds like I need to find a place to make a 73.5mm hole. Look forward to being able to trade you some money for one of these things.

John
On Jun 18, 2007, at 9:57 PM, Victor Tikhonov wrote:

It is competitor - in the sense that no need to have Xantrex hardware.
EVision is a self-contained stand alone system.

It is not a competitor in the sense that e-meter is not really an
EV gadget and have been adapted to work in an EV for the lack of anything else (apart from BRUSA Ah counter) - it is meant to be a marine low voltage instrument. Thus in EV it requires prescaler, isolated power and as far as I heard strict sequence of connecting it; else according to periodic woes on the list, it blows up, sometimes with bad luck taking with it computers if attached to its serial port.

EVision is in its class, designed for EV from ground up and BTW does
not require any external power supplies to run, not even 12V house
battery. It runs off of the propulsion pack it measures, consuming
about 2mA in my 345V pack case. Yes, serial port is isolated.

'91 ACRX - something different

John O'Connor wrote:
Someone else mentioned it was stupid question time on another thread so I'm going to ask one here as well. Will this device be a competitor to the Link10/Emeter, or an add on if you have the xantrex device?
On Jun 18, 2007, at 9:26 AM, John Wayland wrote:
I've held a prototype model in my hands and will say, that this is going to be one of those 'must have' devices for anyone's EVs! Victor has put a lot of thought into this new product...he's a very thorough guy.
<snip>
See Ya....John Wayland

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- When I had my truck all wired up for a proof of concept run I think I was getting that code for a while. Tightening the connection on the wires from the contactor to the hairball fixed it for me.

On Jun 18, 2007, at 10:30 PM, Matthew Milliron wrote:

  I need help.  I have Zilla problems.  I hooked everything up and
took a ride.  Parked it in the garage and the next day it won't run. I
am getting an 1132 error code (controller did not communicate during
precharge).  Also I am getting a 17.5 volt short from the traction
pack to ground/body of the car.  I have traced it to the controller.
Is this normal?  Why won't the Hairball talk to the controller?  I was
sooo looking to go for a ride.

R. Matt Milliron
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1981 Jet Electrica
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/702
My daughter named it, "Pikachu". It's yellow and black,
electric and contains Japanese parts, so I went with it.

You bet.

If going clutchless, consider disassembling the clutch disc hub and attach it
to the taper lock coupling.
The rivets have to be drilled out of the disc hub and it has to be attached to
a drive ring that is welded to the taper lock hub. It softens up the driveline.
 It's a custom built adaptor, though.

I would install a clutch on a lighter EV with AGM's and built to be quick.
I would like to build a car like that..
But my 4000 pound little commuter car, I think, works nice with out a clutch.

I think they both have their pro's and con's.
It depends on what you want to do with the car.

I haven't decided what to do with my clutch peddle and little hydraulic slave
cylinder.
I thought about hooking up to the suspension and making the front of the car go
up and down at stop lights.
Maybe just pop up an EV hood ornament.

Dana

From: Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> The bad thing about removing the clutch from the system is that you
> also remove the springs in the center of the clutch. You are also
> removing the torque-peak-limiting feature of the clutch. They put
> those springs in there for a good reason.
>
>       When you go over a pot hole or railroad tracks, HUGE torque spikes
> travel backwards through the drive train. The clutch center springs
> and the clutch itself greatly reduce and limit these torque peaks.
>
>       If you eliminate the clutch (and its springs) you will shorten the
> life of the transmission and differential gears significantly. The
> torque peaks will fatigue the gear teeth and they will chip and fail.
> The bearings won't like it much either.
>
>       Bill Dube'

--- Begin Message --- Well I bought a I-zip scooter for $15.00 everything works, but I don't have a charger for it.

It has a 24 Volt battery system (two batteries connected)

I don't have a 24 volt charger that it's supposed to use at 1.5amp.

I have a charger that puts out 18v at 1.1amp.

Will this work?

God bless

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>