  1) Re: VOLTS vs AMPS
        by "Joseph Tahbaz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) "Carbon Fiber" Batteries
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Ultimate magnetic motor design, CVT, controllers
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Custom Gears
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Ultimate magnetic motor design, CVT, controllers
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) firefly batteries?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: VOLTS vs AMPS
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: DC/AC converter (EV to Grid/Home)
        by "Pat Galliher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: DC/AC converter (EV to Grid/Home)
        by "Pat Galliher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: firefly batteries?
        by "Joseph Tahbaz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: VOLTS vs AMPS
        by "Joseph Tahbaz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Custom Gears
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: VOLTS vs AMPS
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Motor for mower
        by Tad Coles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: How is AGM battery perfomance impacted by orientation?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) RE: Ultimate magnetic motor design
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: VOLTS vs AMPS & RE: Make It
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Make it
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: whats the difference between gearing a motor for speed vs  distance
        by lyle sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Well, sort of, not really. This is my understanding...

Amps x Volts = Watts

What are watts? Watt is power, NOT energy!

What are amps? Well, amps are how quickly the electricity moves. More
amps, which means the electricity is moving faster, which means more
watts (power)

Now to describe voltage you'll need to understand something else
first. A Negative charge and a positive charge attract, right?  Well
the attraction between a negative and positive is voltage. That
electrical attracting force is voltage. More voltage, more force, more
watts. (power)

And when you multiply the two together you get watts!

More amps means more power, and more voltage means more power too.
Now, more amps basically creates torque, which is good for
acceleration. Using more voltage basically means more rpm (rotation
per minute) which is better for achieving a high speed. So
basically... amps= torque....voltage=rpm....amps x volts=watts

"AMPS seem to be how long the vehicle can go"

Amps-hours is how far the vehicle can go, NOT amps. An amp-hour is one
amp running for one hour. That's all I know about amp-hours really.
(Well, there's Peukert's Exponent but that's something else.)

To everyone out there:
Please correct any mistakes I made. We can't have electrical blasphemy
on this mailing list!

On 6/24/07, Rob Hogenmiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So far I've come to the conclusion that VOLTS is the major power
contributor, the higher the VOLTS the more power the motor can make the
vehicle go.

AMPS seem to be how long the vehicle can go, the more AMPS the batteries
have the longer the vehicle can drive before being charged.

There also seems to be some correlation with the AMPS in regards to power.

Does anyone have any quick comments or suggestive reading.

God bless

I was pretty excited when I first saw these, hoping they were like the firefly
batteries. Alas, "carbon fiber" refers to the decorative case. The specs seem
pretty good.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in their success or failure.

http://www.brailleauto.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=16&idproduct=6

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the
Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

I have just salvaged a motor like you described. Its an Intramat mac 115B
servo motor, Its fairly heavy at about 75lbs or so. From what I can tell it has

230V stator coils, PM armature, built in cooling motor, tach and encoder.
Continuous current at 66 amps with peaks at 205 amps, unless the fan is not
working. The bad news is its a 2000 RPM motor. So it seems powerful enough to
drive a small EV but what can I drive it with? Must I use the encoder with a
custom inverter or can I use a variable freq like the MES-DEA 400? Maybe its
just better suited for a generator of some sort. It just looked too pretty to
be
 in the landfill. Oh and unfortunately someone got to the inverter it came
with  before I got there.
                                             Rick Miller

In a message dated 6/24/2007 1:23:12 PM Central Daylight Time,  [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
writes:
Hi  Dave, Lon and  All,
BLDC  motors are quite good and fairly easy to
build as they can be basicly just a  rotating PM containing
disc with stationary coils, just not hard to do or  cost
much. I can't see a 20 kw at more than $300 in materials,
maybe  less.
It's  biggest drawback is it doesn't have the
starting torque of a series motor but  since fairly cheap to
make, one can just build it larger. Though one could  replace
the PM's with series field coils but that would take
brushes,  losing a main advantage.

--- Begin Message --- Is there a well known company that makes custom gears/sprockets to go on splined shafts?

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these?  I sort of have an in
with the company to test some in my EV (probably about 5 or 10%
probability, but that's better than no contacts)... but as of yet all
I've seen is hype, not specs. BMS required?  Discharge rate?  cycles?
Thermal management?  Not even sure if they really exist yet....  I
supposed I could ask my contact there, but I figured someone on this
list might have already researched them more than I have.

That was a great explanation, may I use that on www.7change.com  ?

God bless

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Tahbaz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[...]

I think that most of your concerns apply to the low end personal UPSs. I do
get those, which are usually rated at 300-500 watts. I'm referring to the
ones that are made by APC and others and are intended for servers and high
end (expensive) installations. Here is a link to a common type I see:
http://apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SURT3000RMXLT-1T
F5&tab=models . Maybe you can get some idea of the quality of the components
from the info on the site. In the course of a year I probably see most of
the UPSs that they (APC) makes. I put a meter on one of the battery packs
from a similar unit and got a reading over 115 volts DC, so I'm assuming
that the charger and inverter is operating on a voltage close to that.

Some of these have the ability to provide AC without being connected to AC
power. They have a switch that basically turns them "on".

Again, being completely new the EVs, their value is unknown to me. They may
have none. That would be too bad!

Pat