  1) Re: Make it
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: Custom Gears
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Make it
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Clutchless Shift [was EVgrin - RAVolt takes first EV trip]
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack, Light-O-Rama (switcher)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re: Chances of working for an Auto Company
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
        by "Brian Pikkula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Clutchless Shift [was EVgrin - RAVolt takes first EV trip]
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: regarding the Solectria Sunrise
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Ultimate magnetic motor design
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: regarding the Solectria Sunrise
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: regarding the Solectria Sunrise
        by "John A. Evans - N0HJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Make it
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Make it
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Make it
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: ???kWh EV battery pack
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: AGM vs Gel
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Cheap
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Make it
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
    Mark> Before Otmar gets to retire to the Caribbean he would have to
    Mark> invest many more $ in volume production tooling to reduce the time
    Mark> for assembling and testing the Zillas required just to meet the
    Mark> production schedule.  These dolars would also be spread over the
    Mark> production run of 1M units and would have the overall effect of
    Mark> reducing the overall unit cost as well due to the reduction in
    Mark> labor cost.  It takes money or time to make money.........me

With a firm order for 1M units in hand he could probably just sell Cafe
Electric to another company with high-volume electronics production
experience.  He'd still get to retire on a sailboat in the Caribbean. ;-)

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I think I paid about $15 for a 14T, 1.25" hub adapter. The fit is really tight, too. Quite a good deal.

Alan Brinkman wrote:
Eric,

I see the coupler in your link that I could have welded a sprocket to
and used in attaching to my 13 spline motor shaft.  I was hoping that
machining a hub would not be so expensive, as I took that route.  Your
resource is very good as many shaft sizes and spline counts are covered.

Alan Brinkman

From: "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: June 26, 2007 3:01:27 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Chances of working for an Auto Company

What do you guys think are the chances of working for an Auto Company?
(you know, designing cars and stuff)

Too messy to paint with spray.

Just about $20 (~ 2L, ~0.5 gal) of Rustoleum or $80 of Interlux
Brightside for a bit better gloss.  Check out
http://www.electric-lemon.com/?q=node/174

Brian

Why not just spray it yourself? It'll cost about $150, but you can get a
decent paint job at home.

BTW, I'd be interested where you'd get enough paint for $100. House paint,
right?

On Thu, June 21, 2007 8:32 am, Brian Pikkula wrote:
> Since the majority of our EVs are > 10 years old, the paint on them
> isn't like it used to be.  However, I have a hard time justifying spending
> $2k for something that will not propel my EV.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Of course, being able to slip the clutch seems like it would have help a lot in reverse.

damon

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Clutchless Shift [was EVgrin - RAVolt takes first EV trip]
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:59:31 -0400

Joseph.

How long does it take you to "clutchlessly shift" compared to when you shifted with the clutch?

I'm just starting out and taking it slow. It was about 2 seconds, but could have pushed it harder. It really just dropped into gear - no worries about reving the motor and no lurching. The shift was smoother than my ICE shifting.

Rob
RAVolt.com

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm
Eventually, in a year or two, I hope we can offer a fairly complete
kit; you provide the donor car, buy the motor, batteries, and
controller of your choice, and bolt it all together!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The donor car will provide what?  Brakes, suspension, steering?  Frame?  I
guess I missed something.

The donor car has subframes for the entire front and rear suspension. You unbolt them from the donor. The front subframe, with wheels, brakes, steering, suspension, etc. is all used as-is. The only change is to replace the stock coil spring and antisway bar with softer ones because the Sunrise is so much lighter. We'll also add an air bag for adjustment (since the weight depends so heavily on the battery pack each builder chooses).

The rear subframe likewise provides the wheels, brakes, independent suspension, and differential. We are replacing the subframe itself with a custom built one, because we are narrowing the rear track by 10", flipping the differential upside down, and adding the motor mounting plate and coupler. Again, we'll use lighter springs and antisway bar, with air bags to allow adjustment.

The donor car also provides a number of other miscellaneous parts. For example, we are using the entire door mechanism to avoid "kit car door" syndrome (kit cars usually have doors that rattle, leak, and in general work poorly).

Dale Ulan wrote:
one thing has me puzzled... your comments on PWM being faster to
generate a sine wave, if you are using the commutating power stages
to also do current control.

In a typical 3-phase AC controller, the 6 power switches are all being switched at high frequency to synthesize the 3-phase sinewaves. It's like having six DC motor PWM controllers.

You're correct that at any given time, only 3 of these 6 PWMs are in operation. For example, if at one point in the low-frequency AC cycle you want current to flow in phase A and out phases B and C, then the upper transistor and lower diode of phase A, and the lower transistors and upper diodes of phases B and C are carrying the current. These transistors are cycled on/off at the high switching frequency to create the desired current in each AC motor phase wire.

Roughly half the heat in your transistors is produced by switching losses. So, by running your switches at a high switching frequency, you double losses in the controller.

Older inverters, or modern high-power inverters tend to use much lower switching frequencies. Instead of sinewaves, they synthesize square waves, or more commonly, the 2-step waveform (0v, +v, +2v +v, 0v, -v, -2v, -v, 0v...) This lets them increase inverter efficiency and get about twice the power out of the same number of transistors. The tradeoff is that it lowers motor efficiency, unless you redesign the motor to work with this waveform.

Now look at how a brushed DC motor does it. Let's assume a 2-pole motor with a dozen commutator bars and armature coils. The commutator forms a 2-pole 12-position switch. Doing this with transistors requires 24 transistors. 12 connect each "bar" to the positive supply, and 12 connect each "bar" to the negative supply. It looks just like a 12-phase AC motor and inverter!

In operation, only two of these switches are on at any given time (one to +, one to -). Each switch only operates once per revolution, so its switching frequency is very low (60 Hz if the motor is rotating at 3600 rpm. So, switching losses are very low.

Also note that as the motor turns, the induced voltage in each of those 12 coils changes in a sinusoidal fashion. At the instant you want to turn off the last switch and turn on the next one, it just so happens that the voltage across the coil between them is zero. Thus, your switches automatically turn on and off at full current, but with *zero volts across them! This is the trick that lets that crude old mechanical switch commutator last so long. It also works here to allow cheap slow solid state switches to be used.

The drawback is, of course, that you need 24 transistors able to carry the full motor current. If your switches are cheap enough, it works. But when you have to pay a fortune per switch, this approach costs more.

If my understanding is correct, then, if you are running a 36-slot,
18-phase, 2-pole, square wave commutation, then you have six phase
coil pairs energized at any time and just rotate those around, right?

That is one approach. The DC motor approach powers *all* coils all the time, but arranges these coils physically so their magnetic fields add up vectorially to make sinewaves.

But the real key to all this is that there are *many* solutions to the problem of how many coils to have, when to power them, and what waveforms to produce in them. Since both extremes are in use (pure sinewaves vs pure square waves, only one coil at peak vs all coils always powered), and both produce workable motors of about the same performance, it stands to reason that there are lots of other workable strategies in between these two extremes. This is the area where some of the oddball motor designers are playing.

Also, would the harmonics of square-wave commutation cancel enough
in an ACIM rotor or would that become a power-loss issue?

That's another issue! Some harmonics produce positive torque; some produce negative torque, and some just waste energy or cause acoustic noise.

In general, you shape your magnetics and arrange your coils so they just happen to generate a waveform (if the motor is used as a generator) that matches the waveform that your inverter produces. Then when you drive it as a motor with that inverter, you have minimized the power lost to useless harmonics.

I wonder if you can also use the VIN of the donor car to avoid DMV hassles.

damon

From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: regarding the Solectria Sunrise
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:27:56 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[...]

--- Begin Message --- Speaking of my experience with Colorado and a kit trailer I assembled (Harbor Freight), when I went to register it and get tags, they didn't want the VIN supplied by the chinese manufacturer since it was a KIT - so they issued me sticker with a state issued VIN and requested/required that I remove the original VIN from the trailer. Sounds really silly in my opinion, but that is the way it happened here.

So for Colorado, I would say that a kit vehicle would get a different VIN rather than the underlying vehicle VIN.

john

damon henry wrote:
I wonder if you can also use the VIN of the donor car to avoid DMV hassles.

damon

Dan Frederiksen wrote:

is either of those super expensive in your opinion and if so which and how much? I don't consider the design a cost since that's a one off so don't mention that

It has to be considered because it is *major* expense which has to be spread and amortized over units to be sold. NOt millions as you might think, at best thousands because this is the life of the product unless
it goes mainstream GM way (every person has to have an EV with that unit)

A company I work with has developed power inverter we will offer for sale to individuals. The components cost may be half of what the customer's price is. Few [outside motion control pro company] engineers worked on the software for months and it cost may be half a mil Euro to pay them. You cannot ignore that cost as one-time expense as if it does not exist just because it's one time one. If I find a half-mil Euro
laying on a freeway, I'd pick it up and hired the same motion control
company to develop inverter for me - that's the only way to get it to you as a customer. But normally money are not laying around like that, and [normally] company
either use personal/invertors resources or borrows from banks; in any
case they have to pay back. After they're done paying, sure the cost of the product is only ongoing components cost and labor to put them together, but chances are by then this product is obsolete. There are ways to predict how aggressively you have to amortize to pay back development expenses (with interest!) before no one will buy
the product anymore.

To let you know, major cost of Siemens inverters I have is their software development share, and software, once developed for one unit, cost nothing to replicate for many. Still, like I said that "one time" expense is a major portion of the price customer will pay for years to come, keeping company (Siemens in this case) income allowing them to develop next version. Pay back can be much more than spent amount if the product is very successful, good for them if that happens.

I just finished developing EVision. I'm a hardware engineer and my
time to design and construct it is "free", but I paid about $30k (so far) to the software developer. Do you think I should just forget about this one time expense out of my own pocket and charge only for the parts/assembly labor cost? May be this business model will work for you,
it doesn't for me, so you *will* pay software development share cost
(and my time share) if you want my product. Else - forget it, it's like
asking to develop something for free.

So life is not fair and if you want a product, you pay what manufacturer
thinks it worth, not what you think it should worth; else you don't
get it. Simple as that. One time expense should be tucked in it or not, is not for a customer to decide.

When you will manufacture something, then welcome to charge as much
as you think it worth so another Dan may start complaining it cost too much. Until then - it's wasting bandwidth.

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
Cory Cross wrote:

Want to pay my design costs then?

I was counting on a few good people offering a bit of their time to help save the world. I will be one. you might not be

I, too, was counting on a few good people at my mortgage company to allow me to skip couple of monthly payments while I'm contributing to saving the world. So far no luck, they say good intentions don't
pay bills.

If you hear of any charity mortgage companies, I'd like to learn more.

Dan Frederiksen wrote:

is either of those super expensive in your opinion and if so which and how much? I don't consider the design a cost since that's a one off so don't mention that

It has to be considered because it is *major* expense which has to be spread and amortized over units to be sold. Not millions as you might think, at best thousands because this is the life of the product unless it goes mainstream GM way (every person has to have an EV with that unit) is relatively short.

My European partner company I work with has developed power inverter we will offer for sale to individuals. The components cost may be half of what the customer's price is. Few [outside motion control pro company] engineers worked on the software for months and it cost may be half a mil Euro to pay them, I'm not sure. You cannot ignore that cost as one-time expense as if it does not exist just because it's one time one. If I find a half-mil Euro
[...]

Tehben,

Count for 4-5 miles range per each 1 kWh on board of good tuned EV.
That will give you idea of the pack size people use based on their
range, with some reserve.

For instance if you want to have 40 miles range you will spend
40/4=10kWh normally or 40/5=8kWh good case, so if you want reserve
for 50% DOD, your pack has to be 20kWh or 16kWh respectively.

'91 ACRX - something different

Tehben Dean wrote:
I know higher voltage less capacity and vise versa, but wondered are
there some general kWh sizes that are used for different types of EVs
e.g. pickups etc.?
Or is it get as much as you can fit in without grossly over weighting
the vehicle? :)
(this is assuming Lead batt's)

TEhben

Tehben,

My controller has a max current output of 400amps (I will be useing a
300volt pack) would the Deka Dominator gel marine batteries be
suitable?

Thanks,
TEhben

Your inverter has 400A *rms peak* per phase output (motor) current.
The battery input limit for the inverter is 280A, you will never draw
more than that. In fact you will be hard pressed to see much more than
200A battery current. Dekas are perfectly fine battery for you.

Don Cameron has good discussion on it:

http://www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/Welcome.html

'91 ACRX - something different

Some large format batteries (like TS) are in fact individual
cells paralleled inside common enclosure. Any of those can
internally to the battery get shorted and others discharge into it
all inside. There are no fuses in this particular battery (TS),
may be it should have them.

If you assemble the pack using small series-parallel interconnected
cells (A123, 18650 or such) and use fuse in series with each individual
cell a parallel building block is assembled from, make sure that you have means to detect a blown fuse(s) condition. Else fewer sells will get bigger the same share of the same total current and 1-2 "off-line"
ones may go unnoticed imbalancing the pack quickly.

Mechanically make sure it is easy to replace any cell within such a block. ACP had 68 18650's between two "grids" and it would be tough to replace any one which is not in the most outer (peripheral) row around the block.

Shaun Williams wrote:
In rough dimensions I'd probably have approximately 40 groups in
series, with 30 paralleled cells in each group, to replace my
current 12 X 12V 100Ah(C20) lead pack.

My first question is; Do the 30 individual cells in a parallel
grouping need individual attention or can I treat them as one
because they are in parallel with each other?

My view is that you're taking chances by simply paralleling so many cells. If
one shorts, the other 29 in parallel will dump all their energy into it. This
is the first step in a disasterous chain reaction.

At the very least, I think you need a fuse in series with each cell. It will
blow if that cell sees excessive current. If you make it a thermal fuse that
will open if the cell temperature exceeds X degrees, it will also disconnect
the cell if it ever overheats.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard

There are situations where design costs are negligible, like on toasters and
hard drives. Both cost about the same (I think someone else mentioned this in
the list before). They both have the same materials costs. The reason the hard
drive can be so cheap is that it's design has been amortized by millions of
units sold. That's the only time you can "ignore" design costs, if something is
mass produced.

If you look at high end audio (not Sony, but Cary, Audio Note, etc), the costs
of the amplifiers, pre-amps, etc, are many many times the materials cost, since
they only sell hundreds, sometimes even double digits of a design.

                                                                  - Tony

> [...]

far) to the software developer. Do you think I should just forget about
this one time expense out of my own pocket and charge only for the
parts/assembly labor cost? May be this business model will work for you,
it doesn't for me, so you *will* pay software development share cost
(and my time share) if you want my product. Else - forget it, it's like
asking to develop something for free.

So life is not fair and if you want a product, you pay what manufacturer
thinks it worth, not what you think it should worth; else you don't
get it. Simple as that. One time expense should be tucked in it or not,
is not for a customer to decide.

When you will manufacture something, then welcome to charge as much
as you think it worth so another Dan may start complaining it cost too
much. Until then - it's wasting bandwidth.

Hmm...If I want a 24 volt pack of A123's (for a little scooter) what
would happen since 24 volts would be 6.6 batteries? It's okay to just
have 7 or 8 batteries and then it just wouldn't be fully charged,
which I believe is good for these types of batteries.

How much would 8 cells cost?

On 6/27/07, Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Unless you are talking about 100,000 cells, you don't have much hope
of getting a discount. These are very popular cells.

        In  nutshell, these cells are not going to be inexpensive in
the near term.

        The BMS is the hard part. Someone must make one that will
work for the home EVer market. No one has.

        Bill Dube'

>I'm very excited about the potential for A123 batteries to change the
>automotive industry, particularly with PHEVs initially. They appear to
>be a very "switched on" company, backed up by a superb product.
>
>The RC guys (oh, for a "cheap" hobby!) seem to have done a lot of
>excellent real-world testing of the M1 cells at the micro level and
>are very pleased with the results, particularly when compared with
>other's like Kokam etc. and that's good enough for me.
>
>There are two hurdles that I see obstructing my investment in them however.
>  1. Upfront Cost.
>  2. BMS.
>
>I've had a quote from A123 Systems for 1500 of the M1 cells and their
>price was competitive with other Li when life-cycle is considered
>(10,000 cycles to 50% is awesome), however I'd hope that a "group
>purchase" might bring this price down closer to what I can
>realistically afford upfront. I'm not asking for you to comment on
>this because I know it's not your area.
>
>So, on the BMS issue;
>In rough dimensions I'd probably have approximately 40 groups in
>series, with 30 paralleled cells in each group, to replace my current
>12 X 12V 100Ah(C20) lead pack.
>
>My first question is; Do the 30 individual cells in a parallel
>grouping need individual attention or can I treat them as one because
>they are in parallel with each other? In other words, when charging
>"all" that I need to do is make sure each group of 30 cells reaches
>3.6V but no more?
>
>Sorry if you've answered this question before but I haven't managed to
>stumble across it in the archives.
>
>Thanks for your time and thank-you to all the other outstanding
>participants in the wonderful EVlist community.
>
>Shaun Williams.
>
>www.electric-echo.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Why not just buy a 36 volt Dewalt tool battery for your scooter. You can get the battery and charger for around $200 which is less then anyplace you try to buy individual cells. Just realize that these cells are less than 3 ahr each, so will provide limited range, probably less than the batteries which originally came with the scooter.

damon

From: "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack