  1) Re: Controler space
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Sevcon 128/12V DC/CD (Fixed)
        by Dave Stensland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Brush timing advance, nothing new :-)
        by "Andrew Kane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Wheel Hub Motors?
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: reed switch application
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: An Ebay find?
        by Bill & Nancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) DC to DC input circuit breaker trips
        by Iron Mountain Films <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Wheel Hub Motors?
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: I have an IDEA!
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: ???kWh EV battery pack
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Cheap
        by "Shaun Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Cheap
        by "Shaun Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Cheap
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: To Gear or Not to Gear a Motorcycle (was Manly EV's, etc.)
        by "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Project #3 is a Lawn Mower
        by mike golub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Make it
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: DC to DC input circuit breaker trips
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Cheap
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: VS: Re: Cheap
        by "Shaun Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Cheap
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Chains and belts (was Re: ft-lbs or lbs-ft
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: AGM vs Gel
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Cheap
        by "Shaun Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: AGM vs Gel
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: AGM vs Gel
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Nobody wants my money.. (rant for the day)
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Nobody wants my money.. (rant for the day)
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: ???kWh EV battery pack  / Gel vs. AGM / small vs. big battery
        by Markus Lorch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) RE: Nobody wants my money.. (rant for the day)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: DC to DC input circuit breaker trips
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) n00b in your midst
        by "John Labrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Phelps wrote:
According to the Internet site I just came from.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99134.htm Welding in space is not possible with current unless you provide a
gas that can start a arc...

No; this is not the case. At the breakdown voltage between the two metals, the electric field strength is high enough to rip electrons loose from the metals themselves. The electrons form the "gas" that carries the current from one to the other. The electrons slam into the positive side, giving up their kinetic energy and causing major heating at the point of contact. When the positive metal gets hot enough from this, positive metal ions start boiling off, and become a second "gas" to carry charge in the opposite direction. These positive ions bombard the negative side, causing it to heat up as well.

Anyone who has used high power vacuum tubes has seen this effect. When you overload the tube, it can arc over between cathode and plate, heat them to incandescence, and they will melt and weld.

With this same thought a controller switch sealed in a vacuum would
have no arc...

Yes, it will (see above). In fact, the breakdown voltage in a vacuum is *lower* than it would be with air. Air is a better insulator than a vacuum.

However, air contains oxygen. Once you do strike an arc in air, the oxygen erodes the metal very quickly -- much quicker than in vacuum.

And as far as noise I am sure that the arch would be a good part of
the noise.

Do you mean acoustic noise (the "clack" of a contactor pulling in)? This is purely mechanical; a contactor is just as loud with no current flowing as it is at full load.

Or do you mean electrical noise (as in RF interference)? This is always present with contacts, regardless of whether there is air, vacuum, oil, or anything else between them. The electrical noise is caused by the sudden (nearly instantaneous) change in voltage and current as the contact opens and closes the circuit.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff.

It's working now that I replaced the power MOSFETS with new ones (~$30 delivered), changed out the open "R2" resistor with a good one, and replaced the blown on indicator lamp.

-Dave

Jeff Shanab wrote:
If you had said 1984 I would suspect the standard death of most dc-dc
converters. Increased esr in the main switching capacitors until they
can't oscilate fast enough and it stops after 1 cycle. (measureing
capacitance is useless, need to measure esr.)  On the dc-dc's I had to
fix all the time, If they were over 15 years old I just replaced all the
electrolytic caps and check the switching transistor, 90% of the time
that was it.

The other death of the dc-dc's I have fixed is the main switching
transistors gives up the ghost, failing shorted, usually taking out
other stuff along the way. Some units are designed so close on the caps
that if they drift a little it stops working, some are designed so
stressed on the primary switching element that 2 year service life is
normal. (this was the way of samsung monitors and chaep TV's for years)

I recommend the iota series.

It's a good job the German Navy didn't have any A123 cells to put in that boat.

On 6/28/07, Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
        Yesterday, I visited the unbelievably good technology and science
museum (Deutsches Museum) in Munich, Germany. It was a major treat to
see the first German U-boat, the U1 on display:
http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/sammlungen/verkehr/maritime-exhibition/u1/

        What I found particularly amusing is that they had
mechanically-adjustable brush timing on the electric propulsion
motors. There are hand wheels that worked threaded actuators to move
the brush rigging. The range of movement looked very broad, perhaps
20 degrees or more. Here is a picture showing the details of this
1906 state-of-the-art brush advance system.

http://www.killacycle.com/photos/misc/DSCN1903.JPG

        100 years later and we are still using the same stuff. :-)

        Bill Dube'

try agnimotors, india

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:48:07 +0200
From: "John Labrey--