  1) Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
  2) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
  4) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
  6) Re: Energy unit conversion and comparison
  7) Re: Catch Phrases
  8) RE: conversion question
  9) Re: a little thought problem for the list
 10) RE: Energy unit conversion and comparison - units
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re:  Why do I get this message SO much??? was Re:todd pc25lv dc-dc
converter specs
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: conversion question
        by "Tom S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: conversion question
        by "Tom S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: conversion question
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Passive (Parallel/Serial) Balancing
        by Jim Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Bradley GT Electric
        by "Don Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: conversion question
        by "Tom S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Passive (Parallel/Serial) Balancing
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: LED headlights
        by "Bukosky, Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
> Coulombic efficiency (Ah in to Ah out) for some different battery types;
>
> Lead acid (AGM) up to 90%
> Lithium (Thundersky) 100%
> NiCad 71%
> NiMh 66%

Where did you come up with these figures?
>From what I've read, the Coulombic efficiency of Saft NiCads is almost
exactly 90%.  In fact that is how Saft specifies charging them, you put
back in exactly 110% of what you took out.

> It does seem like batteries with high Peukert effects also tend to have
> higher internal resistance.  High current draws with batteries that have
> high internal resistance means energy is lost within the batteries (and
> show
> up as heat),  But, as far as I know, this energy loss is not directly due
> to the Peukert effect.

Perhaps not, but the opposite is true.  I.e. the peukert number is
effected by the internal resistance.  The Peukert effect is due to several
factors, but includes the I2R losses.  Higher internal resistance = higher
peukert number.

Sorry, forgot to reset it to plain text.

> I need a 144VDC setup, so I was wondering how I should wire my
> batteries. What does the term "string" mean? Are they just referring
> to 2 series wired battery sets connected parallel?

A string is a bunch of batteries all connected in series.  So, if you have 6
volt batteries, a string would be 24 of them in series.

I'm certainly not an expert here, but my understanding is that the T-105 isn't
as desireable a batter as the T-125 or T-145 -- same AH theoretically, but they
125 or 145 keep up the voltage better under higher discharge.  Which means more
plate area, which in turn means thinner plates (I think), which in turn means
they are not as good at deep cycling...  But the T-105's are sort of sluggish
at more than 200A I think.  Again, this is just what I've heard, no personal
experience.

Well my thinking is, while the extra energy does increase the available
capacity slightly, it does so while causing overall efficiency to drop.

In effect the extra energy has a negative effect on total efficiency;
hence, less than 0%.

>>From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>>Subject: Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
>>Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 03:11:57 -0700 (MST)
>>
>>Efficiency depends on how full you fill them and how much power you waste
>>equalizing them (equalization current is less than 0% efficient)
>
> Do you really mean less than 0 %?  I always thought that equalization
> might
> not increase the level of charge for all of the cells involved, but, that
> some cells would be brought to a higher state of charge ( so as to
> "equalize" them to the more fullycharged cells.)
>
> So, I see how equalization efficiency could be low, but what is your
> thinking behind "less than 0%"?
>

>>If you keep the SOC below the 80% or so (when they start gassing) they
>>/can/ be 90+% efficient.
>>
>>However typical charging, to 100% SOC plus equalization, usually works
>> out
>>to 75% or less, depending on how old the batteries are, how often and how
>>much you equalize, etc.
>>
>>Also, just to confuse things, some people talk about charging efficiency
>>but only refer to columbic(sp?) efficiency, I.e. Amps in vs Amps out, and
>>totally ignore the voltage difference between charge and discharge.
>
> You mean amp-hours in vs amp-hours out, right??
>
> Phil Marino
>

>> > I've always heard lead-acid battery efficiency to be around 80-85% for
>> > flooded and ~90% on AGMs. I never hear at what current though.....

>>--
>>If you send email to me, or the EVDL, that has > 4 lines of legalistic
>>junk at the end; then you are specifically authorizing me to do whatever
>>wish with the message.  By posting the message you agree that your long
>>legalistic signature is void.

> Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one
> place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01

Well, I think if you are going to do this, then you should do it right.

Compare the well to wheels efficiency.

I.e. gasoline doesn't just appear.  It starts out as cude oil burried in
the ground.
We have to use energy to get it out of the ground, and then transport it
to a refinery, then refine it, then transport it the service station, then
drive to the service station the get it, then convert it from liquid form
to mechanical energy, and then move the car.

Even when using fossil fuels (coal) electric cars are FAR more efficient.

Sorry, I can't help you with the actual units, but hopefully I've given
you something to think on.

P.s. Google "well to wheels" etc.

> Guys,
>
> I'm trying to compare the amount of power consumed by an electric vehicle
> as
> compared to an ICE vehicle in a universal unit instead of an MPG
> equivelent
> or other lame unit.
>
> This website:
> http://physics.syr.edu/courses/modules/ENERGY/ENERGY_POLICY/tables.html
> says
> 1 watt is the same as 1 joule. It also says the amount of energy contained
> in 1 gallon of gasoline is 1.3X10 to the 8th power, joules or watts. If
> I'm
> calculating this correctly, that's 130000000 (one hundred thirty million
> watts in a gallon of gasoline?! Is this right?
>
> So, we figured out that my car uses 11,700-ish watts of power at 55 mph.
> That's 11700/55 giving me 213 kwh/mile. So if I drive 55 miles @ 55 mph,
> I've used 11.715 kilowatts?
>
> Let's -assume- an early 2000's Ford or GM large SUV (Expedition, Suburban,
> Tahoe, Escalade or whatever) gets 14 mpg at 55 mph. That's .07 gallons per
> mile. .07*130,000,000 gallons contains 9,100,000 watts of energy
> sooooooooo
> our mythical SUV gets 9,100 kwh/mile and it uses 500,500 kw to drive 55
> miles.
>
> 213 kwh/mile
> 9,100 kwh/mile
>
> If that's right, it's incredible. When humans are able to quantify
> something
> it puts it in perspective. To me, that illustrates an incredible waste,
> especially when you consider that we spend even more energy trucking fuel
> around to distribution points instead of just transmitting it down a wire.
>
> IF my math is right, I'd love to run the numbers against the Honda Insight
> and see what the comparison is.
>
> Rich A.

> Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!
> http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1

Plain text is default.  I'd suggest you go to that.  If you send other than
plain text it will not come through.  Lawrence Rhodes....
From: "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Energy unit conversion and comparison
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:50:43 -0400

Guys,

I'm trying to compare the amount of power consumed by an electric vehicle as compared to an ICE vehicle in a universal unit instead of an MPG equivelent or other lame unit.

This website: http://physics.syr.edu/courses/modules/ENERGY/ENERGY_POLICY/tables.html says 1 watt is the same as 1 joule.

1 joule is equal to one watt-second., not one watt. A joule is energy, a watt is power.

It also says the amount of
energy contained in 1 gallon of gasoline is 1.3X10 to the 8th power, joules or watts.

Joules, NOT watts. Joules is energy.  watts is power.

If I'm calculating this correctly, that's 130000000
(one hundred thirty million *joules* in a gallon of gasoline?! Is this right?

It  is, according to this site.

So, we figured out that my car uses 11,700-ish watts of power at 55 mph. That's 11700/55 giving me 213 kwh/mile.

No - it's 213 wh/mile. ( not kwh)

So if I drive 55 miles
@ 55 mph, I've used 11.715 kilowatts?

No - you've used 11700 watts for one hour. That's 11700 watt-hours, or 11.715 KWH.

Let's -assume- an early 2000's Ford or GM large SUV (Expedition, Suburban, Tahoe, Escalade or whatever) gets 14 mpg at 55 mph. That's .07 gallons per mile. .07*130,000,000 gallons contains 9,100,000 watts of energy

Joules of energy, but you're on the right track.

sooooooooo our mythical SUV gets 9,100 kwh/mile and
it uses 500,500 kw to drive 55 miles.

Not quite.  You've got to be careful with the units, here.

9,100,000 joules/mile = 9100,000 watt-seconds/mile X 1 hour/3600 s = 2527 watt-hr/mile

= 2.527 kwh/mile.

213 kwh/mile
9,100 kwh/mile - really 2.5 KWH/mile

If that's right, it's incredible.

While not as extreme as your original calculation, it's still over 10:1

Is your original 11,700 watts at 55 mph the power from your batteries at that speed?

If it is, you really want to figure your energy from you wall socket. That may be about 20% higher because of losses in the charger, and battery inefficiencies during charging and discharge.

That would still leave you using about 1/10 the energy of the SUV. By the way, is your EV a large SUV?

If not, it would probably be more valid to compare it's energy usage to that of an ICE car of similar size.

Phil Marino

When humans are able to quantify
something it puts it in perspective. To me, that illustrates an incredible waste, especially when you consider that we spend even more energy trucking fuel around to distribution points instead of just transmitting it down a wire.

Transmitting power down that wire can results in losses of 50 % of the energy. I'm not defending ICE cars and gasoline, but, you should be fair about this.

IF my math is right, I'd love to run the numbers against the Honda Insight and see what the comparison is.

Rich A.

Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1

Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary!  http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_hotmailtextlink2
Hi Patrick

It's because more and more folks are discovering the advantages of
electric vehicles... it's a good thing!

Unfortunately, some new to the list don't read the instructions... the
message is actually self-explanatory, if you read it again.

tks

Lock
human-electric hybrid pedestrian

boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:01:22 -0700 (MST)

Well my thinking is, while the extra energy does increase the available
capacity slightly, it does so while causing overall efficiency to drop.

In effect the extra energy has a negative effect on total efficiency;
hence, less than 0%.

I still disagree.

According to your logic, if the first half of a charge cycle was 90% efficient, and the second half was 80% efficient, then the second half would REALLY be less than 0 % efficient, since it reduced the overall efficiency.

So, anytime you have reduced efficiency compared to the start of a charge cycle, you're really discharging the batteries, while using energy to do so.

Huh?

Phil

>>From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>>Subject: Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
>>Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 03:11:57 -0700 (MST)
>>
>>Efficiency depends on how full you fill them and how much power you waste
>>equalizing them (equalization current is less than 0% efficient)
>
> Do you really mean less than 0 %?  I always thought that equalization
> might
> not increase the level of charge for all of the cells involved, but, that
> some cells would be brought to a higher state of charge ( so as to
> "equalize" them to the more fullycharged cells.)
>
> So, I see how equalization efficiency could be low, but what is your
> thinking behind "less than 0%"?
>

>>If you keep the SOC below the 80% or so (when they start gassing) they
>>/can/ be 90+% efficient.
>>
>>However typical charging, to 100% SOC plus equalization, usually works
>> out
>>to 75% or less, depending on how old the batteries are, how often and how
>>much you equalize, etc.
>>
>>Also, just to confuse things, some people talk about charging efficiency
>>but only refer to columbic(sp?) efficiency, I.e. Amps in vs Amps out, and
>>totally ignore the voltage difference between charge and discharge.
>
> You mean amp-hours in vs amp-hours out, right??
>
> Phil Marino
>

>> > I've always heard lead-acid battery efficiency to be around 80-85% for
>> > flooded and ~90% on AGMs. I never hear at what current though.....

>>--
>>If you send email to me, or the EVDL, that has > 4 lines of legalistic
>>junk at the end; then you are specifically authorizing me to do whatever
>>wish with the message.  By posting the message you agree that your long
>>legalistic signature is void.

> Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one
> place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01

Hi Peter,

In your dreans.  The EVette  not only maneuvers  at low speeds, it turns very
well at higher speeds as well. A reporter from the Palm Beach Post took a ride
in it and wrote " Gut wrenching turns ".Its not a little easier to park, its a
lot easier to park. If a conversion has 2400lbs of batteries it most likely has
at least 3000lbs of car,5400lbs total that sounds more like a tank!

Tom Sines                              T

>Actually, they have four wheeled EVs that surpass the Evette when it comes
>to maneuverabilty.  They have fork lifts that can spin in place, AND move
>directly sideways, at any angle, etc.
>
>Besides, the Evetts advantages are only at really low speeds, where they
>don't really matter that much.  Sure it might be a little easier to park,
>but parking lots are designed for existing vehicles, so it's no real
>advantage.
>
>There are conversions out there that carry over 2400 lbs of batteries.  I
>believe the number you have mentioned for the Evett is 1600 lbs?
>
>Any custom EV can be built to carry lots of batteries.  Custom Four
>wheeled ones can do it as well or better than Evette.  It's simple math,
>any given axle will have a maximum weight capacity.  Twice as many axles
>equals twice as much weight.
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We could argue this all day, but the real issue is, you will never get as
>> many batteries in a conversion as the Evette,and a 4 wheel car can`t come
>> close to the maneuverability of the Evette. Agree or disagree.
>>
>> Tom Sines

thanks guys. was informative

might regenerative braking provide that little loosening of the sulphate and counter that peukert accumulation so the full battery can be used?

Dan

Hi Phil,

Their 38" super swampers we live in Florida its a swamp, and they were sheap.
Its an experiment, different tires would of course, be much better.

Tom Sines