  1) Re: Curtis 1221B - help! (or rebuild?)
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Opinion on Brammo Enertia bike?
        by Aaron Quinto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: One question of many
  4) Re: One question of many
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Opinion on Brammo Enertia bike?
  6) FuelVapor Technologies - fuel efficient vehicle automobile high mileage
ale'
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Opinion on Brammo Enertia bike?
        by "Kip C. Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Curtis 1221B - help! (or rebuild?)
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: One question of many
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Short Range Battery Pack
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Re: Short Range Battery Pack
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: FuelVapor Technologies
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: FuelVapor Technologies
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: FuelVapor Technologies
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: powering 12v cooling fan from pack voltage
        by Markus Lorch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: a little thought problem for the list
        by "owen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
        by Rob&Amy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Ideal conversion candidate? Aussies are Lucky.
        by "Shaun Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Electric Evette
        by "Tom S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Curtis 1221B - help!
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: New guy seeking knowledge
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I have some info to add from my testing...

If I disconnect the motor the new used Cursit successfully precharges. My guess is that its internally shorted. I'm pretty sure that symptom means dead (but with no escaping damage it may be rebuildable.)

Who is currently in the business of rebuilding old Curtis controllers? The one in question is a 1221B-7401. I doubt the one I flamed out (a 1221B-7403) is rebuildable.

Thanx,
Paul "neon" Gooch

On Jul 12, 2007, at 3:23 PM, Paul wrote:

The old Curtis 1221b in my buggy died a flaming death so I had to install a new (used) one. The newer 1221B doesn't seem to precharge, my 7.5 watt light bulb precharge resistor sits there with a full 130 volts across it.

Basic specs:
1221b replacing previous one with no 120 volt system changes.
12 volt system is currently off and disconnected (no interference here) A single Albright SW200 contactor is used on the 120 volt positive lead to the controller A KUEP (150 VDC) relay controls ksi input (controller B+ to relay to ksi) The above 2 relays are both powered by ignition + (and have been verified to be off)
The 7.5 watt precharge light bulb is across the contactor

So, I replace the dead 1221b with the other one I had and wire everything up. I screw in the precharge bulb and it lights full brightness. 2 minutes later its still at full brightness (precharge took around 20 seconds with the previous 1221b.) I measure the voltage across the open contactor and it reads 130 volts (matches the pack voltage to within 1 volt.)

I'm going to go out and start checking everything again today, but I did that last night and didn't find anything obvious. Any ideas on what I should check would be appreciated.

I'll check my e-mail regularly while I'm studying the problem. 2 tests that come to mind are pulling a motor lead off and seeing if the controller still doesn't precharge (if it does its likely internally shorted) and trying a higher wattage light bulb in case the older controller had an overly high value input cap bleeder resistor.

Thanx,
Paul "neon" Gooch

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I figure 2 more batteries and another 10-15 MPH top speed and I would get it. Even for a few thousand more (based on the $12k price). There's a new job I applied for that is 25 miles from my house (1 way) with 10 miles of 55 mph speed limits (normal traffic is 60-65 on the hills). That's my limitation on it, but otherwise, I like it too. Good acceleration and no shifting.

Aaron

At 05:54 PM 07/12/2007, you wrote:
http://www.enertiabike.com/

i am interested in this. i like the use of carbon fiber for strength and weight. the use of the valence lithium phosphate batteries seem hi-tech...hehe...though i don't like how high they are mounted. it does help keep the look not so boxy as other attempts. and of course the $15K initial cost is hard to swallow. even the cheaper production run to come later is still high for my taste.

what do others think?

mike sandman

The previous responses about steering effort aren't really that acccurate.
 Well they are accurate if you do something stupid like convert the car
and leave the non-functioning power steering pump installed.
The effort it takes to turn the wheel without the pump running includes
the effort to force the fluid through the stalled pump.
If you connect a hydrualic line from the input to the output on the power
steering rack, this effort goes down dramatically.  Almost as low as using
a manual rack.

Of course even using a manual rack on a heavy vehicle is going to take
some effort.
The Stratus weighs about 2900 lbs, so that's kind of mediocre weight wise.
Adding a 1/2 ton of batteries is going to make it a bit heavier though.

Asside from bypassing the pump, or replacing the rack with a manual unit,
you have a couple other options:  you can use a electric motor with a tail
shaft and drive the original pump off of that, you can add a small
electric motor to drive the pump, or you can get an electric power
steering pump from an old MR2 or something similar.

> I'm new to the list and just bought my first donor car.  Good, bad or
> other, it is a 95 Dodge Stratus.
> It has power steering assist and I'm wondering how hard it will steer
> with out this as an EV ?
>
> Rice in ABQ

Would it be terribly inefficient to run the ICE power steering pump
with a small electric motor instead of using an OEM electric unit?

--
Tehben
'90 Toyota 4x4 Pickup

Considering the rash of electric motorcycles introduced in recent years
that NEVER make it to the market, I think I'll reserve my opinion for this
bike until after it actually becomes available.

> http://www.enertiabike.com/
>
> i am interested in this.  i like the use of carbon fiber for strength
> and weight.  the use of the valence lithium phosphate batteries seem
> hi-tech...hehe...though i don't like how high they are mounted.  it does
> help keep the look not so boxy as other attempts. and of course the $15K
> initial cost is hard to swallow.  even the cheaper production run to
> come later is still high for my taste.
>
> what do others think?
>
> mike sandman

Well this does change the rules.

http://www.fuelvaporcar.com/index.html
92 mpg 180 hp.
It does make me wonder though how much of that is due to extreme lightweight and basically a three wheel motorcycle? What what the performance of a slick electric vehicle of these dimensions be?

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I think for a ready-to-roll bike, they could do allot better on the price. Brammo's downfall on this will be it's penchant for overengineering, which works well for the Atom, but not for a vehicle that is intended to be marketed for it's environmental frugality. The only people likely to purchase the Enertia will be non-DIY'ers who already have an Atom or at least the cash sitting idle to purchase one. It's a tech toy, not something that will be seen as serious transportation for people to get around on even if it does really fit that bill for that at it's lofty price.

-Kip

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Sandman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>