From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Fri, Jan 6, 2023 7:57 am
Subject: Re: Are we entering a time of no more technological advances?

On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 2:30 PM spudboy100 via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 https://phys.org/news/2023-01-scientific-breakthroughs.html

> Will AI ever come to the rescue or is there some unanticipated physical limit
> on humanity's part?

Although it's hard define an objective standard for such things I can't help
but feel that society changed more between 1900 and 1950 than between 1950 and
2000, that's because before 1900 we didn't know a lot about electricity so the
common man saw few if any occasions of it being put into practical use; and
before 1900 we didn't have a technological ability to mass produce light strong
parts at an affordable price that had the precision needed for an internal
combustion engine. History shows that when a breakthrough is made you'll get a
huge change in the way we live with the rate gradually tapering off until the
next breakthrough. Today 2 breakthroughs are clearly on the horizon,
Nanotechnology and AI, and they have huge and possibly infinite potential
because as Richard Feynman said "there's plenty of room at the bottom", and
because there's no obvious limit on how smart something can be.

I think we're entering a time when more technical advances will be made but NOT
by human beings and, depending on your perspective and that of the machines, AI
will either come to our rescue or put scientists and engineers out of a job.
There is a very good talk [the link is below] clearly making the case that
Earth may be the only place in the observable universe where intelligent
creatures evolved (intelligence being operationally defined as the ability to
make a radio telescope). To some that may seem like a depressing conclusion but
to me it is not because, despite looking for over half a century with ever
larger and more sensitive telescopes, we have never seen even a hint of ET or
his engineering and there are only 2 viable explanations for that:

1) For some unknown reason life is unable to make a significant impact on the
universe. 2) The observable universe is finite so somebody has to be the first,
and we are it.
I personally find the second possibility less depressing than the first, but
your mileage may vary and there is no disputing matters of taste.
Why we might be alone
84n

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv2QZb7cW8BWzGSgjh0rTefjkq%3DOhcsHOXc98x8kAGAxdg%40mail.gmail.com.