From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thu, May 18, 2023 2:30 pm
Subject: Re: More evidence that environmentalists are NOT serious people

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:14 PM Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The first three stories are about environmentalists protesting building
> wind/solar on land that it's important to indigenous groups

 I don't give a damn if they're indigenous or not, I don't see any reason one
group of people should be given more consideration than another And Important?
More important than global warming which, according to environmentalists, is an
existential threat to the entire planet? Never before in the history of Earth
have 8 billion individuals of the same species that were as large as human
beings existed, like it or not there is simply no way to keep those 8 billion
people alive, much less happy, without a gargantuan amount of energy, and
environmentalists have never seen a source of energy that they didn't hate. Put
it another way, environmentalists are all in favor of any power source except
for coal, oil,natural gas, hydroelectric, solar, wind, geothermal and of course
nuclear. They say we can't stop global warming unless we make huge changes and
they're right about that, but if you make any huge change to society, no matter
how beneficial it is overall, it's inevitable that somebody somewhere is going
to be unjustly treated as a result of those changes. Environmentalists say
there is nothing more important than stopping global warming but, regardless of
how helpful a project may be in achieving that lofty goal they are immediately
ready to kill it the instant somebody, anybody, says it will be built on land
that he thinks an invisible man who made the universe lives on and He wouldn't
like it. Environmentalists are dilettantes, they refuse to make the hard
decisions that will be necessary to solve huge problems. And that's why I say
they are not serious people.

> you would have to present an argument that there aren't equally good
> alternative places to build renewables that don't involve these problems,

There is no such place, you will always find somebody who says building a new
power source of any sort anyplace will be an abomination because it will
endanger a snail, or upset a God, or be ugly, or be noisy, or kill little
birdies or do something they don't like.  And environmentalists insist that we
must act quickly. but also insist that before we so much as put one brick on
top of another we must go through endless environmental commissions and long
term studies, and even if the studies conclude that no adverse environmental
effects will occur there will always be somebody who will disagree and say more
study is needed before we do anything and you could be sure that person will
call himself an environmentalist.

> Here is a study from the Nature Conservancy suggesting otherwise, saying that
> "With careful and coordinated planning and robust community engagement, the
> U.S. can build the clean energy infrastructure needed for economy-wide,
> net-zero emissions by 2050 while avoiding most impacts to sensitive natural
> and working lands":

That sounds nice but I can guarantee the iinstant somebody decides to actually
build something  that could  help in achieving that difficult goal the Nature
Conservancy will insist we need more environmental studies before we start
building it, and of course  the Nature Conservancy will not offer an alternate
place to build it, but what they will do is complain we are moving too slowly
in solving the problem of global warming. As I said, not serious people.

John K Clark    See what's on my new list at  Extropolis6dq7tt