On Monday, October 28, 2013 10:10:45 PM UTC-4, cdemorsella wrote:

> [...]

Right, but I am saying that everything else does that editing too. There is
no unedited perspective that 'simply is', all there can ever be is what
seems to be relative to some inertial frame of perception. Even then, we
may be able to access some things that may seem to be edited out (under
hypnosis for example). But yeah, sure, our human experience does not
include (and would not include) the sum total of all non-human experiences.
We don't perceive magnetically like a bird might, but that doesn't mean
that our lack of awareness as humans means that the awareness that we do
have is lacking in some way. It can't by definition. Each person has
exactly one human experience of living a human life and there is no unit of
comparison beyond what it actually is to define what it should be. That's
just how relativity works, like c - it's absolutely anchored.

> The point that interests me is that our brain/mind is a superb on the fly
> editing and reality reification engine;

I disagree there. I propose that should be flipped. There is no
reification. It is not a simulation of any kind. It is the expectation of
external reality that is misguided from the absolute perspective. There is
no editing in time, because human time is not neurological time. Our
perceptual window is larger gauge. Like c, within any inertial frame the
velocity is infinite. Our range of perception attenuates near the border of
the window, but it is more like a radio losing a station as the dial moves
off of it than a computer moving building an image out of insufficient
pixels. There is no image built, what we see is a genuine human experience
of a human world, and there is no more real a world possible.

> that our experience is the result of various complex and multi-variant
> processes that occur within us and that a measurable lag time has elapsed
> by the time we first experience the well-spring of our “now” – that is we
> experience reality post facto.

It's only a lag time because our window of perception permits multiple
resolutions of sensitivity.

> Far from denigrating the mind – I am quite fascinated by it; by how it has
> evolved; by how it seems to work; by its algorithms. I also believe it is
> fruitful to try to work out how the mind/brain works down to the basic
> logic and memory operations and the essential algorithms. In fact one of
> the reasons to study the mind is to learn how the brain mind goes about
> doing things – and possibly even develop a radical alternative chip
> architecture that will be far more energy efficient (at the tradeoff of
> introducing random noise as less and less energy is used to flip gates).
> The brain uses around 20 watts – so clearly there is room for improvement
> in the silicon toasters we use to do logic operations and store data.
>
> I am especially interested in learning how the brain manages to so clearly
> discern signal from noise (and it’s a very noisy environment).

Neurons are alive. Their discernment is based on aesthetic significance
just like ours is (and everything else).

> How the brain arrives at executive decisions – and how it does this at
> different scales of complexity.

This is the schizophrenic perspective that we have come to from
misinterpreting neuroscience. The brain is us. It thinks when we think. It
feels when we feel. We feels on multiple levels (as seen in split brain
patients) and we are the brain in many ways and in other ways the brain is
many other sub-personal and super-personal receptions.

> Does it use quorum based consensus building algorithms? How does the brain
> decide when and how much to edit out; or conversely amplify a signal? Does
> the brain work primarily within local micro-regions doing discreet tasks
> and reporting up to higher order network nodes; or is a lot more of the
> brain’s activity than might at first seem intricately bound up with all
> manner of other threads of networked activity that is happening in the
> brains hundred trillion node wide area network. Is consensus and the rise
> of consciousness mostly a forebrain activity or is this also a gestalt that
> while perhaps primarily located in neural activity in the forebrain is
> dependent on consensus and influence from many other regions in the brain’s
> cortex?
>
> The brain is fascinating for me also because of its orthogonal dimensions
> of complexity – it is electrical but also chemical; it is neuronal, but
> also has a wide area white matter connectome… even the humble glial cells
> appear to play a role in the formation of memories by potentiating synaptic
> connections – cementing the memory. Each – of the plethora of neuron types
> that exist – is a pretty complex system in its own right – and there are
> around one hundred billion of them with a synaptic connectome in the
> hundreds of trillions. It is also a weird place (anatomically speaking)
> with strangely named regions and organs and is a visible result of
> evolution building onto pre-existing structures and re-purposing ancient
> systems to new ends. I am fascinated by the speed with which the wet
> chemistry in the brain happens in those synaptic areas and in the – what I
> feel must be very interesting – interplay between electrical and chemical
> based messaging systems.

Imagine that you are looking at Paris (the city, not the Hilton). The world
marvels at the tremendous contributions to world culture that Paris
produces. The art, the films, fashion, etc. You research Paris using the
latest satellite images and analyze traffic patterns, architectural
details, every tree on the Champs-Élysées, etc.  You become fascinated with
how foot traffic is processed by the Arc de Triomphe and the Louve. The
Louve itself seems to be where the greatest masterpieces are stored, and
they produce signals which are carried by the pedestrian particles that
flow through its halls. What algorithms does it use to decide which
masterpieces to buy? What accounts for all of the different kinds of
pedestrians?

These are all interesting things to explore, and very important, especially
if a plane crashes into the Louvre and you want to rebuild it. The real
understanding of art, of Paris, of the world that Paris and its population
over the centuries has contributed is still completely untouched - obscured
even by looking at the landscape view of what can only be a portait.

Craig

-Chris