The rich get richer via the stock exchange and similar financial
institutions. This is done with software nowadays - a thousandth of  a
second delay in investing can mean the difference between accumulating and
losing. This doesn't actually produce improvements in anything (except
financial modelling software). It's a cloud of abstract numbers spiralling
off into never never land with no connection to producing anything useful.