On Monday, January 27, 2014 5:34:04 PM UTC, ghi...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, January 27, 2014 4:12:00 PM UTC, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
>>
>> Ghibbsa,
>>
>> I'm sorry to say I don't follow your alternative gravity effect here and
>> see no source for the effect and thus it seems entirely speculative to me.
>> I'd need some evidence that there was something reasonable that might
>> produce it OR that it would account well for dark matter.
>>
>> In any case there are a number of alternate gravitation theories proposed
>> in which the force of gravity varies with conditions such as that of John
>> Moffat and others. So far as I know these all have problems....
>>
>> Edgar
>>

>  Perhaps I could state it more simply as an infinitesimal slowing of the
> rate gravity reduces with increasing distance, that progressively increases
> over increasing distances. Insignificant for a single particle, but
> compounded for increasing mass. Because the bias slows the rate of decrease
> of gravity with distance AND progressively intensifies over increasing
> distances from the source of the gravity, the effect would be to
> progressively load the deficit at the tail end gravity furthest from the
> source.
>
> As this effect intensifies, the bias nearer the source loses the effect
> entirely. But because the original slight bias does exist, and because it
> progressively intensifies further from the source, and because that means
> the deficit is progressively pushed further toward the tail end (because
> the bias intensifies further out), there will come a point, where the rate
> at which gravity lessens is increasing faster than predicted beyond a
> certain line. And because the thesis is for a slight bias that actually
> slows the rate down, the fact this corresponds to an increased rate of
> descrease after a point,  is progressively exacberated by an increased bias
> for slowing the other side of the point given there is now less tension the
> other way due to gravity falling away more steeply the other side of the
> line.
>
> So the progressive effect would be that gravity levels off more than
> predicted right out at the edge of the galaxy, and what had been a smooth
> decrease in its effect, transforms into a steepening gradient over a
> shorter distance.
>
> All which would create not only the dark matter effect, but also the
> observed symmetries of the effect, in relation to the clumps of denser
> ordinary matter in the galaxy.
>
> It depends on one tiny effect. It makes predictions that feasibly could be
> checked. It doesn't have the problems of the other gravity solutions. It
> doesn't need a 'cause' for the bias, because that's the conjecture part.
>
> 'course speculative, but you're rather a cheeky bugger to be protesting of
> that :o) I think you should at least be willing to make the effort to
> understand so simple an idea.

Second thoughts - don't bother....it's not a good idea, nor something I
personally believe in. I just remembered it thrown out in an earlier
conversation. Just a little it was demonstration ideas at this sort of
level are pretty easy to conjure up.....because everything about them is so
easy to vary (to borrow a good idea from Deutsch)