On 28 January 2014 06:07, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2014, at 17:18, John Clark wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>
> > John should read the book by Jammer on Einstein's religion. 2/3 of that
>> book is really informative about Einstein's religion.
>>

> Rather than read what Jammer had to say try reading what Einstein himself
> had to say about God:
>
> "it was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a
> lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal
> God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.  If
> something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded
> admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal
> it."
>
> This makes my point. Einstein illustrates that you can believe in a non
> personal God.

After all my lessons in logic, I feel duty bound to point out that Einstein
only said that he didn't believe in a personal God. From that, one cannot
deduce that he thought you *can *believe in a non-personal God (or god, if
you prefer).

(I would try to formalise this, something like ~p -> q =/= p -> ~q but my
expertise in meta-self-doubt assures me I'd probably mess it up.)