On Monday, March 17, 2014 12:58:44 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 16 Mar 2014, at 23:14, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:38:42 PM UTC-4, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 9:08 PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> If you don't like what I write, and how I write it, I suggest you follow
>>> my example and ignore it.
>>>

>> That you ignore what and how you write is indeed becoming increasingly
>> clear. Why others should care or read it becomes murkier though.
>>
>> I already stated I find your thoughts to be inspiring on many levels, in
>> many ways. Just not the first level.
>>
>> Plugging sense into sense, relations into relations, without specifying
>> some object seems empty to me, or at least so complex, that I couldn't wrap
>> my head around it in a hundred lives. I hope you find something that
>> clarifies this.
>>

> If dreams don't require objects that are real outside of the dream
> experience, why should the universe?
>

> Yes, indeed, why? Good point.
>

> Objects require an experience which defines them as objects,
>

> Why? I mean that is not necessary, a priori.

Not logically, but empirically, if objects could simply exist without
needing to be experienced or detected, then why have experience or
detection? Our body would know about its environment in the same way that
any other object would interact with its environment...unconsciously, and
objectively.

> but experiences do not, in theory, require anything to define them.
>

> I don't think the experiences themselves can even be defined.

I agree. What is already 'plain' cannot be ex-plained, nor does it need to
be.

> They can be shared when they have enough "3p" features in common, like the
> "Madeleine of Proust" effect. Poets and novelists exploit that, but it is
> an unending exploration.
>
> With comp, of course, experiences requires subject, that is person, and
> person requires bodies/beliefs when getting a life, with deep scenarios
> (deep = necessitates long computations).
>
> With the comp supervenience thesis, one first person experience supervenes
> on an infinity of relative computational states.

It isn't clear though why experiences on the personal level require
persons, but interaction on the computational level do not require
sub-personal experiences. It seems to me that arithmetic itself is a
machine, and one which cannot explain itself.

Craig