On 30 May 2014 16:29, Samiya Illias <samiyaill...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't form views on God's wisdom.

That's very convenient for you. The only view you've needed to form is that
it IS God's wisdom, a view for which the main evidence is that lots of
people told you it.

> What I do know is that it's implementation in KSA has had a significant
> and positive impact on the theft rate.

Well, what a surprise. So all those who are incredibly wealthy can hold
onto more of their wealth, no matter if they originally obtained it through
theft themselves (or murder, or exploitation of the weak). Nice to see that
God protects the bloated plutocrats. It's almost as if the religion was
designed, or at least hijacked, by those in charge, to keep them in charge.

> What I'm also told is that during Caliph Umar's reign, who was a companion
> of the Prophet Muhammad and the second leader  after the Prophet passed
> away, when a servant was brought to Court by his master for theft, the
> finding was that the servant was not being sufficiently paid and was thus
> forced to steal to feed his family, and so the case turned against the
> master.

So you adhere to the "Ebenezer Scrooge" principle - if only enough rich
people can be persuaded to be nice, everything will be wonderful. It sure
beats worrying about the socio-economic causes of inequality, doesn't it?

> Caliph Umar also suspended the punishment of cutting hands for full year
> when there was famine, as necessity drove some people to theft.

Wow. You mean the boot of the oppressor was lifted a fraction of an inch
off the necks of the oppressed just long enough to ensure they didn't all
starve to death, (which would have meant that no food was produced, no one
was available to be conscripted into armies, no one was around to build
palaces and so on) ? What magnanimity!

> Basically, we understand the severity of the maximum prescribed penalty to
> act as a deterrent for many potential criminals,  and it's execution as a
> strong message for intolerance for crimes that affect society.
>
> Leaving the much larger crimes that gave rise to such horrendous
inequality in the first place unpunished, as usual.