On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM, spudboy100 via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> You may be correct indeed, but if being part of the "civilized world"
> protects violent, predatory, criminals, including, (drumroll) Islamists and
> Putin, the I suppose I will demur from being civilized. Most capital
> crimes, even in Texas, are crimes of passion. I don't see it (no death
> penalty) as being civilized, I view it as an excuse to be uncaring toward
> the victim's family.

The desire for vengeance is hard-wired in our brains. We get a good
dopamine hit from it, which might relief the suffering of people who are
grieving. Now, in 2014, we can recognise this mechanism for what it is. It
was probably useful for our hunter-gatherer ancestors, but it is
maladaptive in a globalised world with 7 billion people and nuclear weapons.

You could argue that we are unlucky to be living in 2014, and that our
hunter-gatherer ancestors lead happier and more fulfilling lives. This
might well be the case, because they were leading lives in the environment
that they were evolved to live in. On the other hand, we have technology
and reason on our side. We can create dopamine hits artificially to relieve
people in need, without causing further violence. The only thing preventing
us are superstitions inherited from a distant past.

Telmo.