From: meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Dec 14, 2014 2:22 pm
Subject: Re: real A.I.

Technology doesn't come by magic.       Nuclear power and photovoltaics were
both developed by the      government.  Low emission automobiles were developed
in response      to government regulation.  Sure technology is the solution to
    global warming, but technology takes development and development      takes
money.  Regulations not only restrict things, they also      promote things.
One of the impediments to building thorium based      nuclear powerplants is
that there are not regulations for them.       If you propose building one the
first thing investors, local      communities, local governments will ask is,
"Will it meet all the      safety requirments and regulations." There aren't
any (except the      generic ones) so you can't get approval to build it.  This
is a      problem only the federal government can overcome by doing the
initial development and writing safety standards based on the      operation of
pilot plants.  No capitalist is going to invest in      such a developmental
project - it's too risky at the legal level      even if the technology were
already developed (which it isn't).

      Brent