On 17 May 2017 at 19:37, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 5/17/2017 2:35 AM, David Nyman wrote:
>
>> The problem comes only if you attempt to "reverse interpret" these
>> transformations, in the computationalist framework,​ *as computation per
>> se* and hence, by assumption, as having a supervenience relation with
>> consciousness. This then introduces an ambiguity into the notion of such
>> supervenience which is eliminated when the extraneous attachment to
>> physical action is discarded. In short, physical action is always open to
>> interpretation (or, alternatively, observation) whereas computation,
>> properly understood, must be​ defined unambiguously in its very definition.
>>

> But that unambiguous definition is just a symbol manipulation game with no
> reference to what give consciousness content.  Bruno wants mathematical
> models to provide the referents, but that's not what I'm conscious of.

​Brent, as I said in my previous comment, the above ​remarks were made in
the context of a discussion of supervenience relations, not the topic in
terms of which you responded. That said, on re-reading your remarks above,
I'd like to address them more directly. AFAICS the "symbol manipulation
game" you refer to, more generally is just mechanism, or IOW the method of
explication towards which scientific enquiry and explication has converged
over millennia. Essentially, the choice, whether implicitly or explicitly,
has been between mechanism (whether under the aegis of computation,
physics, biology, or whatever else) and magic. If that be so, the symbol
manipulation game is the only game in town - and just as well for the most
part, since it has proved so successful.

The problem of course is that its success has not led to any intelligible
formulation of the mind-body problem, which tends to polarise to two
equally incoherent extremes. On the one hand mechanism in some idealised 3p
sense is taken to exhaust all possibility of explanation; or on the other,
there is assumed to be some supernumerary and mechanistically
undiscoverable "intrinsic" nature in which our minds somehow reside.
Neither of these polarities takes even a single step towards anything in
the shape of an intelligible explication of subjectivity.

Bruno's schema is admittedly in the toy model stage, but the logical
repertoire he proposes at least begins to show in principle a way of
breaking out of the mechanistic loop, in particular by the addition of the
notion of truth or the view from the "inside" (which after all is the
elusive space for which we are searching). Since proof and truth are both
point-of-view specific they are already 1p notions. More generally, if
subjectivity is to be explicated in terms of computation, then the spectrum
of arithmetical truth must somehow be capable, ultimately, of encompassing
the perceptual truths (i.e. factual correspondences) we seek to explain.
What intrigues me about all this is the intuitive stretch required to map
the problem area using these points of contact with the elusive concepts on
which we're trying to gain some purchase, without dismissing the approach
out of hand because of its mechanistic origins. ISTM therefore that your
dismissal above is too quick. In a strong sense you're dismissing the whole
scientific endeavour in this regard, plumping in effect for the first of
the two polarities I mentioned above. It also seems to me, if you'll
forgive me, a little naive to complain "that's not what I'm conscious of".
It reminds me of Bryce DeWitt's purported comment to Everett about not
feeling himself splitting. The "you" that is conscious right now is not of
course the simple equivalent of the basic subjective "machines" explicated
in the toy model. I would remind you again though, should that lead you to
despair of the possible usefulness of the model, of the classic query
​(Edison, Franklin?): what use is a newborn baby?​

David