---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Nyman <da...@davidnyman.com>
Date: 26 May 2017 at 19:36
Subject: Re: A thought on MWI and its alternative(s)
To: meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>, Bruno Marchal <
bruno.fernand.marc...@gmail.com>

On 26 May 2017 18:49, "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 5/26/2017 4:40 AM, David Nyman wrote:

> ​Forgive me for hijacking your topic for my own ends ;)​ But as is
> currently being discussed in other threads, truth has another sense which
> is most often obscured for methodological reasons and then most typically
> subsiding thereafter into complete invisibility. Brent's remarks above will
> serve as a quite typical example. This truth is what we might call
> perceptual, or the primary indubitability of perceptibility itself, to
> which Descartes notoriously referred. So truth by concordance, to which you
> refer above, is in the first instance "accessible" only in terms of its
> *primary truth for a subject* with whose perceptual spectrum it is
> coterminous. You might wish to quibble about the necessity of appropriating
> a concept of truth to these ends. But what is the indispensable
> characteristic of truth if it isn't indubitability? Yes, of course,
> subsidiary truth-notions then depend on concordances or "correspondences
> with the facts" as Tarski points out. But what are these "facts" if not in
> the first instance (and it is indeed this first instance we seek to bring
> back into the light) perceptual ones? And how could we conceive of applying
> the criterion of correspondence if the provenance of the putative "facts"
> to be correlated was already itself in doubt? I think you will see what I
> mean. For me, what has been particularly helpful in Bruno's introduction of
> the modal logics in the elementary analysis of subjectivity has been the
> rigorous rehabilitation of the indispensable (but nonetheless gone missing)
> notion of a specifically first-personal or perceptual truth. Paradoxical as
> it may seem (although consistent with our experience) it is a truth that
> cannot be proven, but only guessed at or wagered on, from any but its
> uniquely first-personal point of view. Nonetheless it is this conception of
> truth that perhaps may ultimately permit us to escape the stark
> not-even-wrongness of alternative formulations of the mind-body problem.

I agree that "facts" ground in first-person perceptions.  But not that they
are indubitable.

Brent, can we finally either agree or disagree on the distinction I have
repeatedly made every effort to make explicit? I am perfectly clear that
any inference whatsoever made *on the basis of* perceptual facts may be
mistaken, possibly in every respect. Descartes, of course, was equally
explicit about this, as I recently reminded you, as is Bruno, which is why
he says that Bp&p is a "bet" on a reality. Therefore *that is not my
point*. What is my point is the fact that no inference whatsoever of this
kind can even get started failing the presence of a perceptual fact, a
point also not lost on Descartes. That's all he really meant to convey in
the cogito, despite subsequent attempts to obliterate this pithy
encapsulation in a snowstorm of grammatical obfuscation. Hence this primary
fact is by its very definition indubitable, on pain of incoherence.

  We are familiar with optical illusions and other misperceptions.

As you say, we are all indeed familiar with that, which is why I was at
pains yet again to make clear the distinction. Look, I'm flattered of
course that you read me at all but your comments would be of more help to
me if you would at least take on board what I have said on repeated
occasions.

So the facts that science attempts to explain are already filtered through
intersubjective agreement, i.e. a third person view.

Well, inter-subjective agreement is properly a 1p-plural view. A 3p view is
a hypothetical idealisation of this. IOW it adopts a hypothetical view from
nowhere, which is its Achilles' heel when we forget that it thereby
implicitly appropriates a 1p interpretative perspective. The 1p-plural view
is what we accept as evidence of the relative probability of veridicality
of our perceptions. Consequently, the observables of physics are
inescapably 1p-plural phenomena.

That's why Bruno's computationalism needs to explain the appearance of the
physical world - in order that there be "facts" and not just dreams.

Yes that's exactly what it needs to explain. No one would claim it
currently fully achieves this, though it's notable that a quantum-like
logic - a consequence of the infinity of continuations - is a prediction of
the theory, as opposed to an a posteriori observation. But is there
something in particular that would lead you to believe that it cannot?

David