On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

​> ​
> Deutsch is out to lunch on this. He appears to assume that a quantum
> computer is just using the same algorithms that a classical computer would
> use, only executing them in a massively parallel manner.

​As Deutsch is ​probably only the second person (after Richard Feynman) to
think long and hard about quantum computers I'm pretty sure he doesn't
believe that just any old algorithm will do, and I'm even more sure he
doesn't believe the classical hardware we use in our computers today can
take advantage of a quantum speedup.

> ​>
> Scott Aaronson points out:
> "*The way a quantum algorithms work is that they arrange for wrong
> answers to destructively interfere while the desired answer interferes
> constructively. Interference requires that they take place in the same
> world*."

​I agree Interference must take place in a single world, but where did all
the information that produced the interference come from, where did the
computations that produced all those wrong answers (and a few correct ones)
come from? Even the 2-slit experiment will not produce interference if you
remove the photographic plate and just allow the photons to continue into
infinite space after they pass the slits because then the world splits but
the two never recombine again so no interference. You need places for
things to become different and also a place for things to come together
again for interference to occur.

​>
> Quantum computing does not prove the existence of parallel worlds -- there
> is no need for other worlds in which to find the computational power,

​
A large Quantum Computer wouldn't prove beyond any logical doubt that other
world's must exist, but then you don't exactly "need" a
​ ​
heliocentric
​ ​
solar system theory to explain the movements of the planets either;
​ ​
you could stick with the Earth centered model if you added enough epicycles
of the type used by Ptolemy 2000 years ago
​.​

​T​
hen the way the planets moved in relation to the crystalline celestial
sphere
​,​
​ ​the one
that
​has ​
the stars painted on
​ it, ​
could be
​ ​
predicted
​ ​
to the limits
​ ​
of observational accuracy. But you'd need a awful lot of
​ ​
epicycles and calculations would literally
​be ​
astronomically more complex than with the
​ ​
far simpler
​ ​
heliocentric
​ ​
model.

In the same way I think when quantum computers become commonplace
programers will
​take ​
Many Worlds as a given even if they
​can't​
 formally prove they exist because it's just easier to visualize how they
work that way, just as it's easier to visualize a few elliptical orbit
​s​
around the sun than
​ ​visualize a
gazilian
​ ​circles around circles around circles around the Earth.

 John K Clark