On 26 Jun 2017, at 03:50, Bruce Kellett wrote:

On 26/06/2017 2:14 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Keep in mind that to refute Mechanism (in cognitive science), it is
not enough to show that a piece of matter is not Turing emulable. You
need mainly to show that its behavior is not retrievable from the
statistics of the first person indeterminacy on all computations.

I do not accept this reversal of the burden of proof. I do not have to prove a universal negative: you have to prove the positive by actually deriving physics from the statistics of the first person indeterminacy on all computations.

I was just saying that to refute computationalism by invoking infinite matters does not work, as computationalism predicts infinities in the material domain. You need to show that there are *special* infinities, not recovered by the global First Person Indeterminacy. It is a not a reversal of the burden of the proof, it is just a question of validity.

If not that would beg the question (as shown by the UDA). You give a criteria of verification, which I accept and indeed, if nature violate Z1*, we will know that the classical computationalist theory of mind and matter of the computationalist universal (Löbian) machine is wrong. But until today it is rather confirmed (even in the startling aspects), and it is to my knowledge the only clear account of the 1p relation with the 3p relations (measurable or not).

The reversal of the burden of the proof is the main basic first result. It shows that using an universal extrapolation of the physical laws from a finite number of number measurements cannot be invoked to prevent the need to address the infinite renormalization procedure that the arithmetical reality provides when seen from the (true, consistent, provable, and conjunctions) possible points of view of the universal numbers.

I do not criticize the theory which would assume a primitive physical reality. I criticized its misuse in the "philosophy of mind", especially when both a (primitive) matter and mechanism are assumed.

With mechanism, we need to make *infinite sum* on the histories (computations 1p-filtrated), the reason why we get "negative probabilities" might be related to the fact that 1+2+3+4+5+... "=" -1/12.

It is just because I am not enough competent in algebra that I am unable to make clear the general "Galois theory" of (mechanical) consciousness. Consciousness is on the side of truth, and semantics, and meanings, and thus of models. Like in number equation, the more you have equation, resp. axioms, the less you have solutions, resp. models (in the mathematical sense of the logicians). So I still don't know if (assuming mechanism) consciousness increase or decrease with the number of neurons, the 1p spectrum grow, and consciousness is related to relative "spectrum anticipation".

Around 2000, I read the book by William Seager, which encourages me in the belief that in the Theaetetus "[]p & p" (I believe p & it is the case that p), the consciousness/knowledge still relied in the key role of the machine's body/representation/3p encapsulated in the box []p, or Bp, (Gödel's provability predicate). But today, I think consciousness is more on the side of "p" or "Dt". It is not unrelated with Brent's insistence to call up an environment. The machine "understand" this already (arguably, in some precise technical sense using the many modal logics of "self" reference). My current theories, written in G, is that consciousness is Dt v t. D is the diamond of G (consistency) and Dp v p is the diamond of S4Grz(1). A very good book, btw, that William Seager (even if physicalist by default).

You might need to read/study at least Smullyan Forever undecided, and well, also "To mock a Mocking Bird" to study G, G*, S4Grz1, X1*, etc. Or better, Mendelson and/or Boolos' 1979 book.

Bruno

Bruce