> On 1 Mar 2019, at 21:36, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 3/1/2019 7:08 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 28 Feb 2019, at 22:47, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net
>>> <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

>>> Which is something bacteria and plants and my thermostat have...and ability
>>> to detect and react to the environment based on internal states.
>>
>> What the thermostat lacks, that the bacteria and plants do not lack, is
>> Turing universality. That gives the mind, and even the free-will.
>
> A bacterium doesn't have Turing universiality, only bacteria in the abstract
> of a potentially infinite set of evolving bacteria interacting with their
> environment.  But if a consider a potentially infinite set of thermostats
> interacting with their environment of furnaces and rooms, it will be Turing
> universal too.  Turing universality is cheap.

Yes, it is cheap, like consistency, and plausibly consciousness.

But it is more cheap you might think, because even one bacteria is fully Turing
universal. The genome of Escherichia Coli can be “programmed” to run a Turing
universal set of quadruplet. Of course, the bacteria’s “tape” is quite limited,
and they can exploit their universality only by cooperation in the long run,
and so no individual bacteria can be self-conscious or Löbian.

Bruno