From: Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
To: Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Dec 15, 2022 7:18 pm
Subject: Re: A major fusion breakthrough?

On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 9:41:50 AM UTC-6 johnk...@gmail.com wrote:

On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 5:17 AM Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 5:16 AM Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This result means the energy delivered from the laser shock wave on a
> deuterium pellet was .67 the fusion energy released. It does not take into
> account the much larger amounts of energy needed to run the laser system,
> energy that does not make it to the pellet. This is a breakthrough of sorts,
> but still quite a ways from a practical operating fusion power station.

I agree with all that except that most of the Laser's energy that hits the
Fusion target does not heat the core deuterium and tritium pellet directly,
instead it heats an outer layer of a heavy metal like gold or lead and that
produces X-rays that heats the deuterium and tritium. With this indirect method
you lose a lot of efficiency but it's necessary because the lasers are in the
ultraviolet range and when UV light hits a plasma most of the energy
accelerates the electrons not the nuclei which is what you want to fuse. Of
course it doesn't take long for the energy in the nuclei and the electrons to
equalize but it takes longer than the time window you have for fusion to occur
which is only about as long as it takes light to move 1 inch. If they could
make a laser that worked with a shorter wavelength than ultraviolet it would
improve efficiency enormously and you could get by with a much less powerful
laser.

Before I continue, I think fusion can be arrived at with very modest powered
lasers that do not induce a shock wave on a pellet. In fact I think for a few
thousand watts you could get the same energy output.
The lasers induce shock heating of the gold pellet, which in turn compresses
the pellet into a much smaller volume. In fact, this is similar to how a
hydrogen bomb works, but does not involve X-rays from fission in a plutonium
pit.  I think with your discussion on X-rays that you are thinking of the gamma
and X-rays channeled by incident by a holraum onto a DT lithium-hydride target.
LC--
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/70de7bcd-bd21-41ee-bd7b-b54ac8bcefdbn%40googlegroups.com.