On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 7:29 AM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

* >>> Consider the following. shine a laser at the moon, then scan across
>>> the surface of the moon. The spot of light on the moon's surface clearly
>>> can move at any speed, particularly FTL. Now, if you use the laser to
>>> transmit a message to the first point, then scan away and re-transmit to
>>> the second location, you can certainly transmit information FTL.*
>>>

>> *>> Don't be ridiculous! Light takes about 1 1/4 seconds to reach the
>> Moon, if I  aim a laser at point X on the Moon and then move it to point Y
>> also on the Moon it will take the usual 1 1/4 seconds after I moved my
>> laser before anybody at point X observes that the light coming from Earth
>> has gone off, and it will take the usual 1 1/4 seconds before anybody at
>> point Y sees a light from Earth go on, and 2 1/2 seconds before anybody on
>> planet Earth sees the spot of light at point X start to move. Nobody on the
>> Earth or on the Moon has received or transmitted any information faster
>> than light. If it was possible to transmit information FTL according to
>> relativity you could send a message into the past, you could talk to  the
>> Bruce Kellett of yesterday and that would create paradoxes.*
>>

> *> No. The example was not particularly well thought out.*

*That's true, your example wasn't particularly well thought out.*

> * > My point is that geometrical motions can exceed light velocity,*

*So what? That has nothing to do with the speed of causality or the maximum
speed that matter, energy or information can travel.  *

*> and distant galaxies recede at greater than light speed.*

*In General Relativity space is allowed to expand at any speed, but nothing
in space can move faster than light through that space, that's why we can't
see those distant galaxies and never will be able to. And that's why they
can no longer affect us in any way and we can no longer effect them. By the
way, why do you believe that those distant galaxies REALLY exist when you
don't believe that any of Everett's Many Worlds do? *

> *>> If Many Worlds is correct then if "you" (personal pronouns can become
>> problematic when talking about the multiverse) perform the polarizer
>> experiment on 1 million entangled photons then in the multiverse there are
>> 1 million new Bruce Kelletts that are absolutely identical in every way
>> EXCEPT for the fact that they each have 1 million different memories of how
>> those 1 million entangle protons behaved when they hit their polarizers.*
>>

> *> But for any one observer, even in many worlds, there is only ever one
> outcome for each experiment.*

*Yes but each experimenter has a different memory of how previous
experiments turned up, most were only slightly different but some were
radically different.   *

*> And the existence of other words does not affect the result that that
> individual observer obtains. Hence Bell's theorem applies separately for
> every individual, even in many worlds.*

*And I said precisely that in my previous email  "in all of them all the
Bruce Kelletts can experimentally confirm that Bell's Inequality can be
violated which would be logically impossible if things were both realistic
and local".*

> *>>> Bell's theorem applies equally to all the copies individually.*
>>>

>> *>>Yes, and in all of them all the Bruce Kelletts can experimentally
>> confirm that Bell's Inequality can be violated which would be logically
>> impossible if things were both realistic and local. *
>>

> *>That dichotomy does not apply.*

*If  you really believe that then you are in effect claiming that John
Stewart Bell was wrong, and every mathematician and physicist on planet
Earth is wrong, and high school algebra is wrong,  Do you REALLY believe
that? Are you really that desperate to get rid of Many Worlds? *

*>> Entangled photons have opposite polarizations so if an entangled photon
>> of undetermined polarization hits a polarizer oriented in the up" direction
>> (what you call "up" could be any direction) and Many Worlds is correct then
>> the universe splits many times but in NO universe is there a case where 2
>> entangle photons both make it through polarizers oriented in the same
>> direction.*
>>

> *> That is one of the things that have to be explained.*

*Entangled photons are most commonly created by sending a single photon
through a crystal that has nonlinear optical characteristics, when that
happens the photon is destroyed and 2 entangled photons are produced, each
with exactly half the energy of the deceased parent photon. For the
conservation of angular momentum to be preserved the 2 photons MUST have
opposite polarizations. Probably the most common crystal to do this is Beta
Barium Borate (BaB2O4) but there are others.*

> *>> DO YOUR HOMEWORK! It's been known for hundreds of years that light
>> beams with opposite polarizations treat polarizers in opposite ways, and
>> it's been known since 1905 that light beams are made up of photons. None of
>> this is controversial, it's physics 101. *
>>

> *> So how do entangled photons end up with opposite polarizations in an
> arbitrarily chosen direction?*

*That is the greatest mystery in all of Quantum Mechanics, if you can get
that part right the hard part is over. Many Worlds explains it by saying
the photon is in every POSSIBLE physical direction  (but NOT those that are
physically impossible) and there may or may not be an observer and all of
those possible physical directions.  You'll have to ask somebody else to
explain how Copenhagen explains this, but be warned, if you ask 3 believers
you'll get 5 very different explanations, all of them confusing and are so
vague they're not even wrong. *

5dd