Title: CLEA seminar 16/09: Resource Allocation as Evolving St

Dear All,

On Monday the 11th at 4pm on level 3 in C block we kindly invite you to a talk on some possibilities for understanding Self-Organization in systems such as we study in PE.

Alain will be giving us a special talk to indicate how his PhD findings might be of benefit to those of us working in the non-exact sciences! For this talk he will tailor his insights to issues in the social and psychological sciences, and discuss issues like modeling of brain dynamics, or learning, or inter-group dynamics, trust, and so on, focusing on how we could understand the process and structure by which a system self-organizes. He has an interesting ‘tool’ to offer us, and he is a clear speaker, and pedagogically gifted!

Alain, I hope I have done you ‘some’ justice. And perhaps some interesting questions before your public defense on Wednesday!

I append below another talk that Alain gave for another group at the VUB more interested in the quantum implications of his work.

I have yet to finalize which room we will use, and shall confirm it on Monday morning with everyone.

Kindest,

margeret

" ... capacities that belong to spontaneity are in play in actualizations of receptivity.." (Mc Dowell, Mind and World)

Alain Gaetan Njimolu Anyouzoa: Resource Allocation as an Evolving Strategy in a Free Entry and Exit Setting

Keywords:Distributed Resource Allocation, Game Theory, Evolutionary Game

Theory, Classical Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics,

Self-Organization, Load balancing, Complexity Theory, Price Dispersion,

Quantum Price, Opportunity Sets, Cooperative Games with Stochastic Payoffs,

Cooperation, Coordination, Mutualism, Information Imperfection, Dynamical

Systems Analysis, Mesoscopic Physics.

Abstract: see attachment

Following the view point of Evolutionary Dynamics, we have built a multi-agents system to study the emergence and disappearance of replicators in an heterogeneous network of resources. The class of systems we are looking at are systems facing structural uncertainties (supply structure and growth, concentration level, substitute products, ...). In our approach [1, 2] resources are modeled as strategies, and agents distribute processing requirements onto resources using imperfect information and local decision making. Although our agents are endowed with bounded rationality [4], they still have to face the challenge of dealing with imperfect understanding of the feedback structure from resources which use unintendedly rational heuristics to set resources' unit prices. Our intent is to achieve cooperative equilibrium using competitive dynamics by controlling congestion through capacity pricing. To achieve this, we have relaxed Olafsson's [1] model and built into it a distributed differentiate pricing scheme to improve loose coupling between agents and resources. In this paper, we explore its dynamics from the perspective of both agents and resources.