Title: Planning the ECCO seminar series
Because of our busy activities, things have been delayed a bit, but we now finally hope to start with our weekly series of seminars, normally in December.

Place and time

Seminars will probably take place from 17-19h in the seminar room of the Psychology faculty (building C, 3rd floor). However, there is still a choice of weekday:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:

Ideally, all ECCO members should be able to participate in the seminars. So, I would ask all of you to indicate which days:
1) are difficult or impossible for you ( indicate with a - minus sign);
2) are preferable for you (+ sign).
3) I assume that the other days are neither generally good nor generally bad.

For example, my own preferences are:

Monday:
Tuesday: +
Wednesday: -
Thursday: +
Friday:

I'll then add up all the votes, try to avoid days that have one or more minuses,  choose the one with most pluses, and check whether that also matches with the availability of the seminar rooms to make the final choice. From what I have heard from ECCO members until now, it seems Thursday is a good candidate.

People and topics

Second issue is the actual program. I assume that all local (living around Brussels) ECCO members will sooner or later want to present their research to the others, and thus get the chance to get some in-depth feedback. Moreover, we will of course invite outside people working on related subjects. So, what I ask of you is:

1) your preferred period to give a seminar;
2) a provisional title or subject;
3) suggestions for other people to invite.

A preliminary list could look as follows, where I have indicated the general area on which people might lecture (no period means that people can start in December, ? means that I don't yet know about their constraints or readiness to give a seminar):

Andreas Loengarov (has already given an informal seminar just before leaving for Scotland):  network analysis of food webs

Francis Heylighen: the origins of organization. A general introduction to the ECCO theme

Marko Rodriguez: computer-support systems for societal decision-making

Carlos Gershenson: self-organizing traffic streams: a concrete simulation of mediator evolution

Klaas Chielens: empirical measurement of memetic selection criteria

Frank Van Overwalle (invited): a connectionist simulation of distributed cognition

Mixel Kiemen: (after Dec.) harvesting awareness

Nathalie Gontier (Jan. or Feb.): A systems/symbiotic view of the evolution of: 1) language; 2) knowledge; or 3) organisms (subject still to be chosen: you may express your preferences ;-)

Nick Deschacht: (after Jan.) A systems view of Marxist theory

Laetitia De Jaegher (after Jan.): The need for new systems of governance in a complex, changing society

Julien Libbrecht (?): Application of cybernetic principles to the organization of health care

Erden Göktepe (?): Complex systems models of the emergence of actors in international relations

Bertin Martens (?): the cognitive mechanics of economic and institutional development

Geert Vancronenburg (?): System dynamics and changing a world view (?)

- Dirk Bollen (?): situated and embodied cognition

Karl Tuyls (?):

Gustaaf Geeraerts (?)

Kurt Laforce (?)

Some other people that seem worth inviting:
Luc Steels
Bernard Manderick
Ann Nowé
Eric Pruyt
Alex Riegler
Jean-Paul Van Bendegem
Kathleen Coessens
Tony Belpaeme
Carlos Holvoet
Eric Myin
Axel Cleeremans (ULB)
Hugues Bersini (ULB)
Jean-Louis Deneubourg (ULB)
Ann Heylighen (KUL) (no relation to Francis ;-)
Johan Braeckman (UG)

Also note that some ECCO members (e.g. Francis, Carlos, Nathalie) have material enough to give more than one seminar on different subjects. So, it seems we should be able to prepare a well-filled, interesting program at least until the end of the academic year!

General organization

We intend to continue our tradition initiated with the seminars in  CLEA two years ago (for those who remember them). This means that seminars will be typically small (roughly 8-12 participants) and informal, with the emphasis on discussion rather than on formal presentation, and a pleasant atmosphere with coffee, tea and cookies. I expect that some of the core ECCO members (Klaas, Carlos, ...) will help with the practical arrangements.

While we can expect that the public will mostly consist of ECCO members, the announcement will also be distributed to other people that may be interested so that we may get an injection of new perpectives and perhaps new members. In the case of some of the better known invited speakers, we may make more publicity so as to draw a larger public, and so make ECCO better known to the outside.

However, the core objective of the seminar series is to stimulate cross-fertilization, collaboration and interdisciplinary integration between the different individual projects that all of you are busy with. Therefore, I hope to achieve continuity with more or less the same group of "regulars" showing up on most occasions, thus helping us to develop a shared "ECCO perspective".
--

Francis Heylighen
"Evolution, Complexity and Cognition" research group