Title: Our new ECCO-website!
After several months of preparation, we now finally have a draft  available of a public website for ECCO. You can reach it on the old address: http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/ECCO/, but as you'll see, it offers a lot of new information and functionalities.

Editing
Most importantly, the text is fully editable by ECCO-members! This means that any one of you can make changes, corrections or additions to the information that is there, at any moment, from any place, and with a minimum of effort.

This should allow us to have a website that is always up-to-date, constantly improving and expanding, without major gaps, that really reflects our joint, collective ideas, and that offers a very flexible tool for on-going collaborative development. This is made possible by the use of an open-source "wiki" platform (like in wikipedia, the online editable encyclopedia).

While the web is viewable by all, to edit you need the following login (only for ECCO members -> do not pass this on to others!)

user: ECCO
password: mediators

The menu items on top of the main panel tell you how to use the wiki. Click "help" for explanation, and "edit" for seeing the source text and making changes in it. Don't be afraid to change someone else's text, since the software keeps track of all revisions and allows us, if need be, to fully restore earlier versions, by clicking on the "history" button.

Layout
In addition, the website has a new layout, which is meant to be  simple and esthetic, compatible with the new general layout guidelines for VUB webpages (http://aivpc41.vub.ac.be/ieco/website.html), and characteristic for ECCO. We are still working on that layout, so any suggestions for improvements are welcome. We also made a first attempt at creating a representative logo, but this should be further streamlined.

The adoption of the wiki and of the VUB template imply a number of constraints. E.g. Nathalie suggested to move the ECCO name and logo to the left, and the VUB name to the right, which would indeed be more logical, but that would be against the VUB guidelines (though we probably won't follow the full guidelines anyway, as they are meant in the first place for Dutch speakers looking for information about VUB organization rather than an international audience interested in our research).

Nathalie also suggested to move the wiki icons (for editing etc.) down to the bottom of the page, as casual visitors are not supposed to use them. We indeed plan to do that, and moreover make them less noticeable, but haven't yet found out where in the wiki code this can be changed. Perhaps Mixel, who is an expert in the Squeak programming environment that underlies this (s)wiki, may need to look at it.

We also need to fix the width of the wiki panel to match the one of the title panel above. Moreover we plan to make the text style of that panel similar to the one of the left menu panel, which follows the VUB style sheet, but that will again imply some intervention in the wiki code.

Content
Apart from suggestions for the layout, we especially hope that you will add to the content of the webpages, and especially check your own information. For example, you can add/edit short biographies for yourself via the members page, or add publications and working papers that are relevant to ECCO on the respective pages. You can also delete or add your name on the ECCO-projects listed on the "research" page, or suggest recommended reading at the "bibliography" page. Or you can add an abstract of your upcoming talk to the seminars page...

If you prefer not to be listed here, you can also simply remove your name. While the web is publically accessible at present, we haven't made any publicity for it yet, so in that sense it doesn't yet represent an "official" site. Once everyone is satisfied with it, the website will be publically announced together with the official registration of ECCO as a VUB research group. For the latter, the most important thing is the list of members that will be listed on the application form, and that will mirror the one on the web. So if you prefer not to be listed as an ECCO member, either "core" or "affiliated", please let us know!

Having an informative and user-friendly website is an important step in getting our research recognized, so I hope you'll like what you see and contribute to further improving it!

--

Francis Heylighen
"Evolution, Complexity and Cognition" research group