Title: Working Papers and Demos
Just when you thought the ECCO website couldn't get much more impressive, it has ;-)

Demos

We added a new section on "Software and demos of computer simulations".This provides access to the different computer programs developed by ECCO people (basically Carlos, Marko and Frank). Some examples are interactive access to Carlos's self-organizing traffic lights, and a form interface to the two "particle flow" applications that Marko is working on right now (which is why they are not always online).

I especially like the one that answers verbal IQ test questions. But I'm biased of course, since it is based on my own idea ;-) Please test it out when you can: as the questions you enter and the system's answers are logged, your contribution will help us to improve its performance.

Working papers

I would like to develop the working papers section, by starting with a numbering system from 2005. A suggested format is:

Gershenson C. (2005). Self-organizing Traffic Lights (ECCO working paper: 2005-01).

(i.e. simply the year, followed by a two digit numbering starting with the first paper added to the archive that year). Any suggestions for a better numbering format?

As to producing papers, I would suggest the following general procedure:

1) somebody develops an idea, alone or in collaboration (e.g. using the collaboratory)
2) the idea is presented in an ECCO seminar, and undergoes discussion by the participants
3) taking into account the comments and suggestions, the outline (PowerPoint text) of the presentation is developed into a working paper, published on the website
4) the working paper is read and commented upon by ECCO members and possibly others
5) taking into account the further comments, the paper is improved and submitted for publication to a journal or conference

This means we already have quite some material to be elaborated into working papers, e.g. Dirk's ideas about sensor networks, Marko's work on network models, Laetitia's proposal for the FWO (to be presented as a seminar in a month or so), Erden's seminar, several of the texts that were written in the collaboratory...

To submit working papers:

1) simply link them or upload them (in PDF format) to the working papers section of the website as a "draft", as yet without number
2) invite ECCO members to read your paper
3) if at least one "experienced" member (i.e one with several publications) considers your text good enough to be an official working paper, it gets the next available number and thus becomes part of the working paper series
--

Francis Heylighen
Evolution, Complexity and Cognition group