I am regularly asked about good introductory books to the domain of evolution, cybernetics and cognition, and I generally answer that these are difficult to find. Gary Cziko's "Without Miracles" about the universality of the principle of natural selection across disciplines is one of the few exceptions.

By browsing the web, I just found out that he has written a second book "The Things We Do. Using the Lessons of Bernard and Darwin to Understand the What, How, and Why of Our Behavior" which uses evolution and the feedback-based, cybernetic theory of William Powers to explain cognition and behavior. Both books are easy to read, and cover a very broad range of applications while focusing on the underlying principles. They are both published by MIT Press, and can be freely downloaded from Gary's website:

http://faculty.ed.uiuc.edu/g-cziko/

--

Francis Heylighen
"Evolution, Complexity and Cognition" research group