From: "Petter Braathen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Francis Heylighen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Øyvind Vada <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Meeting with Memetix company
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:47:44 +0200

Dear Francis,

let me first of all thank you again for an inspiring and interesting
meeting at your office in Brussel! We were very happy with the three
areas of possible cooperation as you have also stated eloquently in
your email to ECCO.

For a further follow up, I suggest that...
- Memetix will look at how we can collect empiric data on the
diffusion of memes in organization for further scientific analysis
- When ECCO are ready to target commercial projects, Memetix will
contribute in any way suitable
- Øyvind and I will come to Brussel again for meetings after the
summer, and we could perhaps set time for a workshop in the fall on
theoretical frameworks, empirical collect of data and application in
scientific work.

Also, if there are any activities in ECCO where you think that we
can contribute, we would be very happy to do so.

We look forward to stay in touch!

Take care!

Petter

---------------------------------
Petter Braathen
Memetix AS
Sandakerveien 24 C
0473 Oslo

tel: +47 67 59 15 59
Mob: +47 906 53 688
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Francis Heylighen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Evolution, Complexity and Cognition group" <evolcomp@listserv.vub.ac.be> Cc: "Petter Braathen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 3:52 PM Subject: Meeting with Memetix company

Yesterday, I got a visit from Petter Braathen and Øyvind Vada from Norway who founded the consultancy company Memetix, (http://www.memetix.se). Memetix teaches organizations to function better by applying various ideas inspired by systems theory and memetics. They basically introduce a collection of 123 simple models or "tools for thought" (memes) that help employees to better conceptualize how their organization functions or could function, allowing them to reduce the discrepancy between the present situation and the situation as they ideally would like it to be.

There seems to be quite some similarity between the Memetix
philosophy and the one of ECCO, and therefore we were interested in
exploring possibilities for collaboration. At the moment, there seem
to be three possibly fruitful areas:

1) Memetix has started a non-profit foundation, using some of their
income and subsidies from the Norwegian and/or European institutions,
to support people from different countries who would like to make a
PhD around the general themes of the Memetix approach, but they lack
the academic framework that we can provide.

2) ECCO is interested to expand into some kind of
consultancy/training service for organizations, applying our general
ideas about the organization of complex systems to practical issues,
but we lack business experience and contacts. This is where Memetix
can help us.

3) Memetix gathers a lot of data on how the "memes" they introduce
into a company take root (or fail to do so), but doesn't really use
those data for basic research into memetics and organizational
change. This is a subject in which we are interested, so that we
could possibly analyse their data to test some of our hypotheses, to
a mutual benefit.

These ideas are still very vague at the moment since this was a first
contact, but it seems worth exploring them further...

Francis