On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 01:57 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 00:48 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> > Most importantly, you MUST always describe your environment
> > completely:
> > for Evo in particular this means what type of email are you reading?
> > Local spool?  POP/POP3?  IMAP?  Exchange using the old
> > evolution-exchange backend?  Exchange using the new evolution-mapi
> > backend?  What is your mail store: standard/maildir/etc.?  Do you
> > attach
> > to any special calendar, or do you just use local calendars?  Have you
> > configured an LDAP server for contacts, or just local contacts?  Any
> > special plugins you've installed?  Are your mail folders unusually
> > large?  Do you have lots of filters or complex filters?
>
> We don't want to scare people off Paul :-) Judging by the balance of
> problems discussed on this list, I'd say the absolutely essential info
> is the Evo version and distro, and the type of mailstore (local, POP,
> IMAP, Exchange etc.) because if you don't mention it, it's the first
> thing anyone is going to ask.
>
> For the rest, use your judgment (e.g. if you have problems with
> contacts, explain how you have them configured, ditto with filters
> etc.).

Normally true, but if you have completely unexplained hangs, as the OP
seemed to have, it could also be something else: if you use LDAP maybe
it's a problem connecting to your LDAP server; if you use google
calendars or webdav or something maybe it's a problem connecting to that
to get calendar updates.  It might be some weird spam filter issue.
Etc.

More information is never a bad thing.