On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 11:19 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

> Jeffrey D. Means wrote:

> > > hitting delete on a message in, say, INBOX, just flags the message as
> > > deleted (this is how IMAP works, and in fact, all other mail clients)
> > >

> > True it does flag it as deleted but it places it in the Evolution/Trash
> > folder under the IMAP account which you have to expunge to get the
> > message moved to the Account/Inbox/Trash folder where you again have to
> > flag it as deleted then expunge that folder to actually delete the
> > message.
> >

> it sounds to me that the heart of your problems is to be blamed on the
> IMAP server (Courier IMAP most likely) which implements its own Trash
> folder by moving messages which have been expunged (expunge == removed
> permanently, hence why this server "feature" is crack) and placing it
> in its own Trash folder behind Evolution's back.
>
> > I only found this to be true after wondering where I had tied up 500MB
> > of space in my Maildir on the server I run.  It turned out I had over 1
> > million messages going back over the past year that were flagged as
> > deleted but not expunged from my IMAP trash folder.  As I just proved
> > that you really have to delete the message in a 4 step process as I
> > outlined earlier.  Also you have to expunge _each_ folder individually
> > to ensure that the message really is removed from the folder not just
> > marked deleted (this is probably IMAP standard behavior.)  The software
> > I am running is courier-IMAP with qmail behind it.
> >

> aha, just as I suspected... Courier-IMAP. Not surprised in the
> least...
>
> this is only a problem with Courier-IMAP because it doesn't actually
> comply with the IMAP specifications, it makes stuff up as it goes
> along (not only does it not implement the IMAP protocol properly - we
> have many workarounds already in the code - but it also extends IMAP
> in ways that are completely on crack)
>

> My suggestion: get a real IMAP server like Cyrus, Dovecot, uw.imap,
> etc. Stay well away from Courier...
>
> With any proper IMAP server, it's a 2-step process. Delete message in
> folder. Expunge folder (or Empty Trash whuich expunges all the IMAP
> account's folders). All gone.

I use Courier-IMAP, and I *promise* you that deleting is a 2-step
process!

You have to reconfigure Courier to do it, though.  In Debian, the
file /etc/courier/imapd has this option, which you must set:
  IMAP_MOVE_EXPUNGE_TO_TRASH=0

I "uncheck" Hide Deleted Messages, so that they can be undeleted,
and, because of IMAP_MOVE_EXPUNGE_TO_TRASH=0, Actions->"Empty
Trash" permanently zaps emails.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Do you really think the Moon is not there when you're not
looking?"
Einstein, on quantum mechanics