On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:53:31 +0200 (CEST), Oliver Kötter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Marc Haber schrieb:
>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:53:04 +0200 (CEST), Oliver Kötter
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Any other info that could be of any use?
>>
>> What does cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail say?
>
>OK, now my linux knowledge ends ;-) what does that mean?
>
>www:~# cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
>0
>www:~#
>
>It says 0 :-( I guess that is not good?

It's good in a way that we now know what is going on on your system,
but bad in a way that there is no easy way to fix it.

To establish a cryptographically protected connection, exim (or GnuTLS
in the case of Debian's exim packges) need a certain quantity of
random numbers which it tries to pull from Linux' entropy pool. On
your system, that entropy pool is empty, so exim waits until enough
random has been found.

You need to investigate which sources of random numbers are available
on your system. If you're lucky, your machine has a hardware random
number generator, so all you need to do is install the rng-tools.

Greetings
Marc