Bill Hacker wrote:

>> bad idea. While RFC 2476 does not explicitly specify it, all
>> installations I know of use STARTTLS.

"on this port", that is.

> We have the "luxury" of not having to cater to WinWoes or Apple 'native'
> alleged-MUA's, and use different SSL arrival ports for:

> - faster setup than STARTTLS

I use the smtps port (465) for this.

> - helping 'ban' MUA's we don't want to support anyway

By requiring immediate TLS instead of STARTTLS? Interesting. Last time I
checked, OE supported only the former of both.

> - selecting different acl routing rules for different user groups

Depending on the incoming port? Sounds not very reliable.
Anyway, I'd rather use some arbitrary port for this than abuse a
well-known port.