Hi !!

does exim use compression on tls connections ?

It does not "steer" it.
If you build OpenSSL 0.9.8 with the "zlib"-configure option and link Exim with it, you have got compression.
GnuTLS has no compile time option.
I wrote a "patch" to enable it by configuration options as well as log to exim_mainlog whether compression is used or not, and I am afraid I once promised to contribute it.

it would be nice if you have some time to contribute it ;)

I guess compression is *very* helpful for e.g. mobile / modem users (however, no popular MUA does support it - neither Opera nor Thunderbird or any other I looked at.)

it could be also interesting between mta's as this could save some
bandwith

--
Best regards ...

   On-Line Services 2000 S.L.       e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Pintor Vayreda 1                 telf    +34 902 50 29 75
   08184 Palau-Solita i Plegamans   movil   +34 670 35 27 53