On 2006-02-18 at 18:29 -0700, Koa McCullough wrote:
>    We have a server that hosts multiple sites via IP aliasing so we
> would also like Exim to serve the same site/IP pairs that apache does.
> At this time I have very little control over the server itself so
> setting this up with chroot is not an option.  In other word I'm trying
> to fix someone else's mess.  Currently the the command line tool mail
> works about 50% of the time to send new messages.  When it fails the
> exim_mainlog gets the following message:
>
> 2006-02-18 11:31:04 1FAVuD-0003fi-4D == [EMAIL PROTECTED] R=lookuphost
> T=remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL
> FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> SIZE=2451: host matrix.com [70.86.251.85]:
> 451 4.1.8 Domain of sender address [EMAIL PROTECTED] does not resolve

This means that you have a DNS problem for tmp_site.com, because the
remote server is complaining that the DNS for the _sender_ does not
exist.

So the problem isn't with your Apache or Exim set-up, but with the DNS
provisioning.  You probably can't band-aid this in your Exim set-up,
since it's remote sites complaining about the DNS published data,
insisting that any mail-domain used in a sender address actually exists
and can be used for sending mail back to.
--
I am keeping international relations on a peaceable footing.
You are biding your time before acting.