On 2006-03-30 at 16:37 -0500, daniel wrote:
>   Internet <-> Firewall/NAT (dallaire) <-> Mail Server (brazilian)
>
> The firewall has two IP's, the legal, external IP on eth0 and the reservered
> "192.168.0.1" on the internal interface.  The mail server has only a reserved
> IP (192.168.0.7).

> Now here's the weird part.  Every once in a while, and only when the primary
> mail host is unavailable, the box spews out a bunch of packets trying to talk
> to it's external IP.  Ie, 192.168.0.7 tries to talk to <myExternalIP> which
> doesn't work 'cause the packets get routed out to my iptables firewall and
> blocked.  What's more, the packets themselves are empty.  Here's a snippet of
> an ngrep session:

You probably have Exim routing by MX record and it's trying to reach the
MXs in turn.  When the primary is down, it tries to reach the second.
If the second MX is on an IP which isn't configured on the local system,
then Exim won't know that this is actually "itself" and so tries to
connect to it.

Try the "hosts_treat_as_local" option, giving it the public IP.

Regards,
-Phil