On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 12:09:37AM +0100, fasi74 wrote:
> Hello there
>
> I am a Windows NT Network Administrator "MCSE" now i would like to extend my
> skill & go for Linux Administration. now the question is that does my
> being an Nt administrator help me in any way with Linux.?

It's a major handicap. Sorry, obligatory joke at M$' expense.

Seriously, it is probably a help in some areas and a hindrance in other
areas. Obviously, you will be able to work in a heterogeneous environment,
which are probably more common than pure Linux environments.

You will find that they are different in many areas. The most obvious one
is that in NT almost everything is done via a GUI, where on Linux the GUI
is optional, and many servers run entirely without one.

Linux is much more text oriented. With NT, you typically configure a
program from within that program. On Linux, you typically edit a
configuration file with a text editor, then (re)start the program.

There are terminology differences. NT has services, Linux has
daemons. They do much the same thing.

One handicap of your NT bacground is that Windows requires rebooting far
more than Linux. Many problems that on NT would require a reboot on Linux
require restarting a daemon. Rebooting Linux shouldn't hurt anything (if
it does, something is misconfigured), but it is often unnecessary, and so
denies users acces to services unnecessarily.

Oh, yeah. No DLL Hell. Brrrr.

> Also what should i know to be a good Linux Admin ? I heard linux users have
> do a lots of  programing too do i have to do that as well ?

Learn a good text editor or two. Fortunately for you emacs is available
for NT (and probably vi as well), as is bash, the default command shell
for Linux. See my web page at the URL below for details. Emacs and bash
are the only things that make NT habitable, in my opinion.

You will find yourself doing some shell scripting and some perl
programming from time to time. They aren't hard to pick up. O'Reilly has
consistently good books on these and other subjects. Learn what regular
expressions are and how to use them. They show up all over Linux, but
rarely on NT.

Set up a home network, with an expendable experimental machine, and use it
to learn on. That's what I've done here.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley

PGP signature