Stephen Bosch wrote:

> "Zaleski, Matthew (M.E.)" wrote:
>
> > XWindows was designed around Unix.  Just set the DISPLAY environment
> > variable at the command (telnet) prompt before starting the program that
> > uses X.  The format is host:session where session is usually 0.
> > e.g. DISPLAY=192.168.1.5:0
> >
> > If the X command gives a display fail error, you need to use xhost (man
> > xhost) to allow a connection from the remote computer.
>
> Better yet, use ssh to make your console connections to the remote
> machine. ssh will do two nice things:
>
> 1) ssh will by default set your DISPLAY variable when you connect
> 2) ssh does display forwarding so that all your X traffic is encrypted,
> too.

Strangely, I've never gotten this to work either to a remote machine or
locally.  Never fully investigated, except to ensure forwarding was enabled...
[time passes...]
I just tried again and it worked...  as root.
>From the same command window, I get:
[pfortin@bones Security]$ ssh -X bones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
Last login: Sun Sep 10 00:24:56 2000
[pfortin@bones pfortin]$ emacs junk
channel 0: istate 4 != open
channel 0: ostate 64 != open
Error: Couldn't find per display information
[pfortin@bones pfortin]$

I can't find the above error string in any of the binaries/libraries.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Pierre

> Easier and more secure.
>
> -Stephen-

Linux (Up 52 days) -- Reboots are for system upgrades...
Last reboot reason:  Installed new BackUPS power supply.