Pierre Fortin wrote:

> Stephen Bosch wrote:
> >
> > Better yet, use ssh to make your console connections to the remote
> > machine. ssh will do two nice things:
> >
> > 1) ssh will by default set your DISPLAY variable when you connect
> > 2) ssh does display forwarding so that all your X traffic is encrypted,
> > too.
>
> Strangely, I've never gotten this to work either to a remote machine or
> locally.  Never fully investigated, except to ensure forwarding was enabled...
> [time passes...]
> I just tried again and it worked...  as root.
> >From the same command window, I get:
> [pfortin@bones Security]$ ssh -X bones
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
> Last login: Sun Sep 10 00:24:56 2000
> [pfortin@bones pfortin]$ emacs junk
> channel 0: istate 4 != open
> channel 0: ostate 64 != open
> Error: Couldn't find per display information
> [pfortin@bones pfortin]$
>
> I can't find the above error string in any of the binaries/libraries.
>
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Well...

I recently had a problem on one of my machines and finally discovered
that it was because ssh looks in /etc/hosts or something... I had some
bad information in there (grr... it escapes me exactly *what* was
wrong)...

but you might try examining those things more closely.

Though my guess is that there is something wrong with your display
forwarding (as opposed to just the variable).

-Stephen-